ESPN GM round table

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Because you're introducing hindsight, which is impossible. Anything might turn out great and anything might fail. Everyone knows this. It should go without saying. I explained in my previous post why I think this is the perfect time to draft the QB. Nobody wanting a QB @3 is saying any particular result is definite, and actually the people who have spoken in the most certain terms are mostly those who adamantly proclaim that none of these QBs will be good.

Pro-QB @3 posters - "This is a great opportunity to take a swing"
Anti-QB @3 posters - "No, it's a bad class, none of these QBs will be worth a shit".

Who is the one making the definite proclamations?

You're simplifying it quite a bit. Lot of posters are ready to crucify pace if he passes and are convinced that taking a QB is the definite best move. Windy will hunt pace down and you've been proclaiming Watson a star for months now. Explain again how the pro QB camp isn't speaking in absolutes and certainties lol.

Either way, I don't really care. QB or no QB...I'm personally not sold on any of them but I'll jump on the wagon if pace goes for one. I don't have a horse in the race.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Everybody just sees it their way. Now lets look at it another way. 5 years from now, Trubisky and Watson are the two best or two of the best QBs in the league leading their teams to Super Bowls. The Bears took a safety, and have the same problem that they have had for years and years. Wouldn't you and everybody else on here and in the world be saying "how did Pace not take a QB with the 3rd pick of the draft? that was a golden opportunity".

This is the same question as yours in reverse.

Of course I would. I'd be upset. The difference is I don't have a horse in the race. I'm not dead set on a QB but I'm not dead set against one either. I can see both sides whereas most people in the pro QB camp can't.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You're simplifying it quite a bit. Lot of posters are ready to crucify pace if he passes and are convinced that taking a QB is the definite best move.

Because it's a prime opportunity to fix the most important position in team sports. Going for it might fail, and you're back to square one. You try again. The price you paid for it was taking a very good DB in round 2 of a deep defensive draft instead of a slightly better prospect in round 1.

Not going for it and you're virtually guaranteed to continue in mediocrity.

Keep kicking the can down the road is not a good game plan, imo.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Because it's a prime opportunity to fix the most important position in team sports. Going for it might fail, and you're back to square one. You try again. The price you paid for it was taking a very good DB in round 2 of a deep defensive draft instead of a slightly better prospect in round 1.

Not going for it and you're virtually guaranteed to continue in mediocrity.

Keep kicking the can down the road is not a good game plan, imo.

I know the reasons why. But you just acted like the pro QB camp are the model of objectivity and don't speak in certainties and have this open minded approach. That's clearly bullshit.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course I would. I'd be upset. The difference is I don't have a horse in the race. I'm not dead set on a QB but I'm not dead set against one either. I can see both sides whereas most people in the pro QB camp can't.

I can see it from both sides. There is not a person on this entire message board that is more into defense and less into offense and passing the ball and shit than me. 99% of the time I would be saying defense, defense, defense. But this is our opportunity to possibly solve the QB position for a long time, we need to take that chance. We already fucked up a very early pick on a WR that is functionless, so if it happens it happens. Enough with the drama. Just because someone has an opinion on what the team should do, that does not make the person not objective. I am quite objective about this stuff. And we need to draft a QB with the #3 pick, period.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
The problem is that in order to draft the qb we want next year, we would have to play worse than the rest of the league or pay a kings ransom for a trade. This year, we have the 3rd pick and have a shot at one of the top prospects.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm talking about the fact that they've pretty much owned the division and us for the last decade while we've sucked. I don't care about the odd win here and there, I care about being as consistently competitive as they've been.

There might be a starting QB or two in this draft but there is no A.Rodgers in this draft. If Pace does this rebuild the right way with mostly going through the drafts then in 2 maybe 3 years we will be a team that wins consistently.

Washington

Liked Posts:
You try when you feel great/can't miss about s guy. You guys haven't answered my question. Let me rephrase it more clearly: if in 5 years from now, all the QBs turn out to be 3rd/4th tier and pace drafts the best defensive player available who has gone to 3 pro bowls already, would you still say pace should have drafted a QB?

I have my opinions on the coaches, players, GM, etc but I try to call it as I see it. I give kudos when I feel kudos are do and the same with criticism. In your example, I would say "I wanted a QB, but it turns out Pace was right. Thank goodness he did not listen to me." I have already written my mea culpa on Floyd. I was not enamored with the pick but have come around and feel he is of star potential. I wonder if the "No QB at #3" people would issue the same retort if any of those QBs go on to be stars?

Washington

Liked Posts:
There might be a starting QB or two in this draft but there is no A.Rodgers in this draft.

What is your definitive proof of that? He did free fall in the draft because people thought he was simply a factor of Tefford's system. Heck, I told all my local Packers fans when he came in on that Thursday Night game to "Enjoy the Rodgers era and welcome to my world." Man was I wrong and so were so many others. You have no idea if the next Rodgers, Brady, Elway, etc are in this draft.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There might be a starting QB or two in this draft but there is no A.Rodgers in this draft. If Pace does this rebuild the right way with mostly going through the drafts then in 2 maybe 3 years we will be a team that wins consistently.

Since you can predict the future, can you tell me what stocks to purchase?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Well this is odd that people that talk in so called facts every day on here are now calling me out because i said none of these guys will ever be A.Rodgers...lol

So which ones do you guys think have any chance of being as great as A.Rodgers??

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well this is odd that people that talk in so called facts every day on here are now calling me out because i said none of these guys will ever be A.Rodgers...lol

So which ones do you guys think have any chance of being as great as A.Rodgers??

I think the point is that nobody knew that Aaron Rodgers was gonna be the next Aaron Rodgers either. Nobody knew that Tom Brady was going to be the next Tom Brady, and those are the two best QBs in the league, right?

Washington

Liked Posts:

Unlike you, I can't predict the future. I will let it play out and see what happens. I surely doubt that when the Packers chose Rodgers you told people he'll be better than Favre. Probably quite the opposite I'm guessing. I'm just looking for the proof of your definitive statement. If I said Trubisky will be better than Elway, would you ask me why I was so sure of that? Don't get so defensive.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
ya was gona say, how many on the roundtable are now out of a job?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

It is my OPINION, that I think Watson has the best chance to be successful in the league. Not gonna call him Rodgers. Big difference between opinions and facts.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Trubisky has the same tools as Rodgers did when he came out. I don't know if he will ever reach his potential but even if he gets to be 80% he still is better then anything we have ever had.