Every Mako Mitch pass from week one

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Then you see how more time in this offense only helps him right. He was great with the plays he was comfortable with. If he didn’t have the talent or ability to play QB in the NFL he would have struggled with the scripted plays as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has the ability to throw the ball well enough to be in the NFL (as can just about any QB ever to play in the NFL). What I question is his ability to "feel" the game well enough, especially from the pocket, and his field vision seems to be a problem.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
He has the ability to throw the ball well enough to be in the NFL (as can just about any QB ever to play in the NFL). What I question is his ability to "feel" the game well enough, especially from the pocket, and his field vision seems to be a problem.

I disagree with with your point about his pocket presence. I just watched the vid and he did a nice job of feeling pressure and evading it but I do wish he tried to step up and make a throw versus just running away from the rushers. He still did a nice job and didn’t take a sack but the next step is being able to avoid the pass rush while staying in the pocket and making an accurate throw like Matt Ryan is known for. Field vision is also something he can learn. Can you think of one other QB coming out of college other than Wentz where they had the ability to read the field and work through progressions right off the bat? It’s just not a part of college football and something that has to be taught in the NFL

Edit: he was also accurate all night, granted he still threw for less than 200 yards but that’s more Nagy wanting to throw screens all day than an indictment of Trubisky’s accuracy

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I disagree with with your point about his pocket presence. I just watched the vid and he did a nice job of feeling pressure and evading it but I do wish he tried to step up and make a throw versus just running away from the rushers. He still did a nice job and didn’t take a sack but the next step is being able to avoid the pass rush while staying in the pocket and making an accurate throw like Matt Ryan is known for. Field vision is also something he can learn. Can you think of one other QB coming out of college other than Wentz where they had the ability to read the field and work through progressions right off the bat? It’s just not a part of college football and something that has to be taught in the NFL

Edit: he was also accurate all night, granted he still threw for less than 200 yards but that’s more Nagy wanting to throw screens all day than an indictment of Trubisky’s accuracy

He does need to hang in the pocket more.

That should come with being more comfortable with the offenses and how plays develop. It will also come with chemistry with his weapons. You could see he had more trust in Robinson than others and he hesitated less in throwing to him when covered.

Over time hopefully he gets there with others. He had a couple throws to Burton and a couple of misses to Burton that he needed to trust Burton was in the right spot and make the play.

On the flip side he trusted Sims way too much.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
He does need to hang in the pocket more.

That should come with being more comfortable with the offenses and how plays develop. It will also come with chemistry with his weapons. You could see he had more trust in Robinson than others and he hesitated less in throwing to him when covered.

Over time hopefully he gets there with others. He had a couple throws to Burton and a couple of misses to Burton that he needed to trust Burton was in the right spot and make the play.

On the flip side he trusted Sims way too much.

Simms is just bad and was probably the worst personnel decision Pace has made other than Glennon and drafting White. But I agree we did see meaningful progress out of Mitch’s pocket progress which was one of his biggest weaknesses last season. And I agree the timing and trust comes with time. Did you see the throw he made to Simms where Mitch had the pass rush right in his face and he just lobbed it perfectly to Simms over a defender and it hit his dumb ass in the numbers and somehow bounced off his chest. That’s an elite level NFL throw. That is the kind of stuff that can’t be taught
Edit:
Here’s the link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CHIBears/c..._his_accuracy_to_the/?st=JM0R8L5U&sh=0d638027

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Tough to watch. Some of these I had to watch and re watch. A lot of plays left on the field. Bears should have dominated this game from start to finish. Oh well. The last drive, he suddenly is wildly missing. He wasn't the drive before that. I think the pressure of that moment got to him. And the extra adrenaline caused extra power on his throws. He had some wide open players on that drive too. He's gotta get better when he's blitzed, plain and simple.

Still, from what I see, we aren't talking about accuracy or arm strength or athleticism. What I see as the issue are very correctable. He has to believe in the system, believe in himself, and than actually work his ass off to correct them

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The issue is consistency. He will move around in the pocket well on one play and then look scared the next. For example, he had a couple of plays where he didn't wait forever for WRs to get open, he simply took off and ran.

But then in the biggest down in the game 3 & 1 he can't get Cohen and he arguably misses his window with Burton who was open in the end zone and instead of taking what the D gave him which was a whopping fucking hole up the middle where he could have moonwalked for the first down with several OL literally looking for people to block, he decides to throw a negative yard pass to the WR with 2 guys in the area.

He simply doesn't possess the feel for the game to consistently make these decisions and I have been saying this from last year and people would shout me down that it will come with time. Right now he wastes a lot of his athleticism because I think he has it preprogrammed into his head that he wants to be this classic pocket QB so often times he fails to run or makes the decision to run when it is too later.

There are times when you should sit there and wait for WR to get open but there are times when if you only need 1 yard right at the end zone, you should just take off and run. Trubisky is no a natural when it comes to figuring that stuff out.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
The issue is consistency. He will move around in the pocket well on one play and then look scared the next. For example, he had a couple of plays where he didn't wait forever for WRs to get open, he simply took off and ran.

But then in the biggest down in the game 3 & 1 he can't get Cohen and he arguably misses his window with Burton who was open in the end zone and instead of taking what the D gave him which was a whopping fucking hole up the middle where he could have moonwalked for the first down with several OL literally looking for people to block, he decides to throw a negative yard pass to the WR with 2 guys in the area.

He simply doesn't possess the feel for the game to consistently make these decisions and I have been saying this from last year and people would shout me down that it will come with time. Right now he wastes a lot of his athleticism because I think he has it preprogrammed into his head that he wants to be this classic pocket QB so often times he fails to run or makes the decision to run when it is too later.

There are times when you should sit there and wait for WR to get open but there are times when if you only need 1 yard right at the end zone, you should just take off and run. Trubisky is no a natural when it comes to figuring that stuff out.

You’re right it has been programmed into his head to try and be an ultraconservative traditional pocket passing QB that John Fox would have loved. Fortunately, he was only under John Fox for a year and it can’t be that drilled into his because he was not like that at UNC. You’re also right in that we saw flashes of good pocket presence and then flashes where he could have crawled to pick up a 1st down on third and one and win the game. Fortunately I think Mahomes’ development from his preseason last season to last week shows Nagy has the ability to develop a QB. Knowing when and where to escape the pocket is also a timing issue. He has to know what to expect at what time during the play and based off what’s in front of him at the time he decides whether or not to run or make a throw. This again becomes more natural and requires less thought as he gets more familiar with the playbook.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You’re right it has been programmed into his head to try and be an ultraconservative traditional pocket passing QB that John Fox would have loved. Fortunately, he was only under John Fox for a year and it can’t be that drilled into his because he was not like that at UNC. You’re also right in that we saw flashes of good pocket presence and then flashes where he could have crawled to pick up a 1st down on third and one and win the game. Fortunately I think Mahomes’ development from his preseason last season to last week shows Nagy has the ability to develop a QB. Knowing when and where to escape the pocket is also a timing issue. He has to know what to expect at what time during the play and based off what’s in front of him at the time he decides whether or not to run or make a throw. This again becomes more natural and requires less thought as he gets more familiar with the playbook.

Not exactly true. I saw some of the same tendencies at UNC. He is a bit risk averse as he used to take unnecessary sacks at UNC as well. I remember the Stanford game in particular where we were in FG range and he ran around and ran out of backs for a 7 yard loss to take us out of FG position. We ended up losing that game by less than 3 points. So I think people like to think this is all on John Fox but it is something in his game I have been harping on since college. People told me then he would grow out of it but here we in year 2 and similar things are still happening.

I sincerely hope he does grow out of it but don't think that is a given. He has a lot of Alex Smith in him in that regard which is why that has always been a natural comp for him.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Not exactly true. I saw some of the same tendencies at UNC. He is a bit risk averse as he used to take unnecessary sacks at UNC as well. I remember the Stanford game in particular where we were in FG range and he ran around and ran out of backs for a 7 yard loss to take us out of FG position. We ended up losing that game by less than 3 points. So I think people like to think this is all on John Fox but it is something in his game I have been harping on since college. People told me then he would grow out of it but here we in year 2 and similar things are still happening.

I sincerely hope he does grow out of it but don't think that is a given. He has a lot of Alex Smith in him in that regard which is why that has always been a natural comp for him.

I don’t watch UNC all that much but I definitely remember that Stanford game he was getting pressure in his face all day and really his entire o line was just soundly beaten to a pulp. It’s hard for any QB to be successful in those conditions. Wasn’t it also pouring rain? I think Mitch can be a cross between Smith and Rodgers. He has the medium and short yard accuracy that Smith has been known for and even Collinsworth noted Trubisky can throw the ball at funky side arm deliveries if necessary like Rodgers can and even said he saw Mitch get out of the pocket and away from trouble and make accurate throws the way Rodgers can.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don’t watch UNC all that much but I definitely remember that Stanford game he was getting pressure in his face all day and really his entire o line was just soundly beaten to a pulp. It’s hard for any QB to be successful in those conditions. Wasn’t it also pouring rain? I think Mitch can be a cross between Smith and Rodgers. He has the medium and short yard accuracy that Smith has been known for and even Collinsworth noted Trubisky can throw the ball at funky side arm deliveries if necessary like Rodgers can and even said he saw Mitch get out of the pocket and away from trouble and make accurate throws the way Rodgers can.

It was 3rd and 9 at the 30 and he was forced out of the pocket. Instead of trying to throw the ball away, he literally just ran to the sidelines and effectively gave up on the play and let the DT tacke him rather than throw the ball away.

So again entirely possible he is simply risk averse. I have no doubt he has the arm to be better than Smith but I am not sure he has the mentality. I have been saying all along he doesn't have that sort of personality where you sense he is comfortable putting the game on his shoulders and going for the win.

To give an example. If Rodgers thinks there is a 60% chance of him making the play, I think he does it and trusts his ability. For a guy like Smith, he has to be like 90% confident he can make the play and I think Trubs is more Smith than Rodgers. Percentages aren't real of course but just using it to illustrate the point. I don't know that he ever gets over that and I think that is the biggest thing holding him back. You don't need to be a Brett Favre chucking it all over the place but you have to have that desire to want to go out and win the game.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
It was 3rd and 9 at the 30 and he was forced out of the pocket. Instead of trying to throw the ball away, he literally just ran to the sidelines and effectively gave up on the play and let the DT tacke him rather than throw the ball away.

So again entirely possible he is simply risk averse. I have no doubt he has the arm to be better than Smith but I am not sure he has the mentality. I have been saying all along he doesn't have that sort of personality where you sense he is comfortable putting the game on his shoulders and going for the win.

To give an example. If Rodgers thinks there is a 60% chance of him making the play, I think he does it and trusts his ability. For a guy like Smith, he has to be like 90% confident he can make the play and I think Trubs is more Smith than Rodgers. Percentages aren't real of course but just using it to illustrate the point. I don't know that he ever gets over that and I think that is the biggest thing holding him back. You don't need to be a Brett Favre chucking it all over the place but you have to have that desire to want to go out and win the game.

Major differences. Rodgers goes balls deep with 60% odds because he knows he’s the GOAT and if he has 60% odds of making it most guys have 30%-40%. Also I think he does have that kinda personality. I’ll point to the Detroit game at Soldier Field and the Baltimore game and even the New Orleans game where he looked really good. I’m sure you’re gonna point to this GB where he sucked where it counted or both of the Minnesota games but that comes with being a young QB. Idk if it’s even fair to say Trubs is more Smith than Rodgers in terms of style because again he hasn’t really had the chance to be anything else. John Fox was trash and we are only 1 game I to year 2. Everybody wants to act like this is year 2 technically he hasn’t even played a full 16 game season yet. He is still learning this offense and is very much a baby in it. Rodgers has a PHD and is the leading researcher winning Noble Peace Prizes left and right in his offense.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am saying he is more Smith because I have seen the risk averse style at UNC, Fox and now Nagy. Maybe he will change but that is 25+ games or so.

Also being risk averse doesn't mean you don't ever have good drives at the end. At that point you don't have much choice but to try and make a play.