Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Pace certainly knew what he had to do to get his man. From Business Insider via Yahoo:

"ESPN's NFL insider John Clayton recently discussed the pick on 97.5 The Fanatic, and said that it appears Apple wasn't really the Giants' first choice. Instead, the team had an "intelligence failure" that led them to "reach" for Apple.

Clayton said:

"For the Giants, clearly it was intelligence failure. It wasn't intelligence as far as the selection, but the intelligence in the office, because I was hearing, like everyone else, that John Mara wanted to take Jack Conklin. He was going to try [to] push Jerry Reese to do that.

"However, Jerry and the staff were looking to take Leonard Floyd. ... Guess what, two teams jumped the Giants and now they had to reach a little bit to take Eli Apple. That kind of diminishes it a little bit."

Clearly, this isn't a ringing endorsement for the Giants front office.

Prior to the draft, teams like to put out smokescreens to hide their intentions of whom they plan to draft. From what Clayton says, it sounds like the Giants did a horrible job of that, as their top two prospects were snagged before the tenth pick, with the Bears actually jumping them in a trade to take Floyd with the ninth pick.

Furthermore, if the Giants weren't entirely sold on Apple as the tenth pick, it shows a lack of quick thinking to not try to trade down, select Apple or another prospect lower, and get an extra pick in the process."

The rest is here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-insider-says-giants-had-163600524.html

Cutlerfan006

Liked Posts:
Pace certainly knew what he had to do to get his man. From Business Insider via Yahoo:

"ESPN's NFL insider John Clayton recently discussed the pick on 97.5 The Fanatic, and said that it appears Apple wasn't really the Giants' first choice. Instead, the team had an "intelligence failure" that led them to "reach" for Apple.

Clayton said:

"For the Giants, clearly it was intelligence failure. It wasn't intelligence as far as the selection, but the intelligence in the office, because I was hearing, like everyone else, that John Mara wanted to take Jack Conklin. He was going to try [to] push Jerry Reese to do that.

"However, Jerry and the staff were looking to take Leonard Floyd. ... Guess what, two teams jumped the Giants and now they had to reach a little bit to take Eli Apple. That kind of diminishes it a little bit."

Clearly, this isn't a ringing endorsement for the Giants front office.

Prior to the draft, teams like to put out smokescreens to hide their intentions of whom they plan to draft. From what Clayton says, it sounds like the Giants did a horrible job of that, as their top two prospects were snagged before the tenth pick, with the Bears actually jumping them in a trade to take Floyd with the ninth pick.

Furthermore, if the Giants weren't entirely sold on Apple as the tenth pick, it shows a lack of quick thinking to not try to trade down, select Apple or another prospect lower, and get an extra pick in the process."

The rest is here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-insider-says-giants-had-163600524.html

I feel like this whole "they panicked" thing is silly. I mean you have months and months to come up with a draft board where you rank the players in the draft. It's not like the Giants ranked the top 2 as Conklin and Floyd and just stopped ranking players. They had to have had Apple as their 3rd guy. I see it more as just the Giants ranking Apple too high. Who knows how these guys will turn out, but it certainly appears that they reached on Apple.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I feel like this whole "they panicked" thing is silly. I mean you have months and months to come up with a draft board where you rank the players in the draft. It's not like the Giants ranked the top 2 as Conklin and Floyd and just stopped ranking players. They had to have had Apple as their 3rd guy. I see it more as just the Giants ranking Apple too high. Who knows how these guys will turn out, but it certainly appears that they reached on Apple.

I really don't care about Apple and the Giants. I like that Pace and his guys had a plan and executed it.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
I wanted Tunsil on draft night too but I'll defer to Pace, Fangio and Fox.
Tunsil is a dumbass. Fox and Pace are trying to build a winning culture here. Taking a guy with known off the field issues, 2 of which happened on Draft Night? I don't blame them for passing.

9 other teams passed on this guy too because they didn't feel he was worth the risk.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Tunsil is a dumbass. Fox and Pace are trying to build a winning culture here. Taking a guy with known off the field issues, 2 of which happened on Draft Night? I don't blame them for passing.

9 other teams passed on this guy too because they didn't feel he was worth the risk.

They do this for a living. I just think I'm an expert.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Talent wise, Tunsil is off of the charts. This came straight out of the McCaskey play-book. They passed on a guy who will be a fixture at T for the next ten years and the BEars will still be fucking up drafts and free agent signings for T during the same period. A guy in high school hitting a bong and asking for electric bill money for his mom is somekind of felony stuff, right? I disagree.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Talent wise, Tunsil is off of the charts. This came straight out of the McCaskey play-book. They passed on a guy who will be a fixture at T for the next ten years and the BEars will still be fucking up drafts and free agent signings for T during the same period. A guy in high school hitting a bong and asking for electric bill money for his mom is somekind of felony stuff, right? I disagree.

It's easy to sit behind your computer and say, 'talent wise, he's worth the risk!' Except it's not your money and you aren't responsible for the decision. I bet if you owned a business and had multiple talented candidates lined up, one of which had red flags outside of work and had a video pop up of them smoking weed while you were in the process of making your decision, you'd have pause in taking that person. Or at least you should.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love how Delhomme's career Rate+ is exactly 100...because he was the prototypical average QB. At least his defining career moment was trading TD passes in the Super Bowl with Tom Brady...Cutler's defining career moment is playing a putrid 1st half against GB in the championship game, then spending the 2nd half wandering around the sidelines in a disinterested haze.

What about his dual in the snow vs Mark Sanchez or his dual with the briefly resurrected Mike Vick?!?!