Expectations for Kmet next year?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Expectation #1 - Wear a jersey and suit up on game day.
Expectation #2 - Watch the vets and learn.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
14 catches 84 yards

:bearstroll:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
20-25 receptions, around 200 yards, 2-3 TDs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As for expectations. Rather than numbers I will go with a relative assessment.

1. He needs to perform as well or outperform all the other TEs in the draft.

2. He needs to get at least half the yards of any WR drafted after him.

3. Our RG, RT, LT need to grade out higher than any OL taken after him.

For me, it is all about how he performs relative to what else was available so I hope to hell Pace drafted him with the expectation that he hit at least 2 out of 3 of the above.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

For me, it is all about how he performs relative to what else was available so I hope to hell Pace drafted him with the expectation that he hit at least 2 out of 3 of the above.

Grading out higher than any seems a little high of a bar?

I would say that it would nice if he graded out higher than those around him that we could have reasonably taken.

If some 7th round OT with a weird name like Arlington Hambright shocks the world that shouldn’t effect the grades of a player drafted much higher at a different position.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

Interesting. I'd keep the same, with one slight change. Those he will be judged against should be relatively similarly rated WR or OL prospect.

Some 4 or 5 round pick could explode onto the scene, but to compare that prospect to Kmet is disingenuous. Nobody was considering picking that other guy in the second round to begin with. Kmet should be compared to other WRs and OL picked after him on day 2.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When it comes to Kmet I will be keeping an eye on Josh Jones, KJ Hamler, Denzel Mims, all would have been realistic offensive picks at 43

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Windy said, "When it comes to Kmet I will be keeping an eye on Josh Jones, KJ Hamler, Denzel Mims, all would have been realistic offensive picks at 43"

As it turned out Windy, I would strike Jones from that list. He fell into the 3rd round (29 picks after 43) for a reason. Based on what happened nobody in the league was seriously considering him in the 2nd.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Looks like expectations are to be a warm body this year.

I think he’s got this!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Grading out higher than any seems a little high of a bar?

I would say that it would nice if he graded out higher than those around him that we could have reasonably taken.

If some 7th round OT with a weird name like Arlington Hambright shocks the world that shouldn’t effect the grades of a player drafted much higher at a different position.

Interesting. I'd keep the same, with one slight change. Those he will be judged against should be relatively similarly rated WR or OL prospect.

Some 4 or 5 round pick could explode onto the scene, but to compare that prospect to Kmet is disingenuous. Nobody was considering picking that other guy in the second round to begin with. Kmet should be compared to other WRs and OL picked after him on day 2.

Sure. I wasnt really thinking of some unknown blowing up when I made that comment. More so the guys that reasonably were considered 2nd/3rd round options. At least for 2 and 3 ie other positions.

For a TE, I think we had an option of taking someone else at 43 and then TE later so I think it is fair to judge against all TEs. I suppose we canimit that to TEs available at 163 or later as it is a misjudging of talent if you take a TE at 43 and miss one that was better later. So the Shaheen vs Kittle oversight.

I th

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Windy said, "When it comes to Kmet I will be keeping an eye on Josh Jones, KJ Hamler, Denzel Mims, all would have been realistic offensive picks at 43"

As it turned out Windy, I would strike Jones from that list. He fell into the 3rd round (29 picks after 43) for a reason. Based on what happened nobody in the league was seriously considering him in the 2nd.

Jones was still a considered a comparable talent. We dont know if a team had say Kmet as 1 and Jones as 1a and simply took Kmet because he was slightly higher.

I would say one round difference can easily happen with players of similar rating.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Well, if Kmet has a probowl year and some other WR or TE we could have picked has a slightly better probowl year, that's fine. But if Kmet is the best of the options but they all suck including him, then the pick doesn't look so good.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Shut up Pegger
I'd also expect him to work on his blocking in practice.

It's not very good and it's not like Jimmy Graham can block to a Bruton level. IMHO his best chance at earning playing time is as a blocker, which he needs work at.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
I think having Kmet and Graham on the field at the same time will open it up for him even more as more attention will be given to Graham. Graham can block as well, which will open it up even more.

46 Catches - 480 Yards - 7 TD's

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think having Kmet and Graham on the field at the same time will open it up for him even more as more attention will be given to Graham. Graham can block as well, which will open it up even more.

46 Catches - 480 Yards - 7 TD's
So you are thinking he'll pretty much match his only productive season at ND? He'll essentially match his level of 'domination' while playing against higher caliber defenders and being less of a primary weapon?

IMHO his job is to show he can replace Graham in 2 years. Betting on more than that is being overly optimistic.