FA 2023

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
I don’t think Meyers will be overly expensive. But draft and FA, I’m not seeing where the Bears will have a legit shot at a game breaking number 1. The Bears need a reliable, chain moving receiver. What jumps out about Meyers, is his route running, and that his hands are fucking fast, while still being soft. He also is not afraid to go across the middle, and knows how to protect himself when doing so.

ESB ain’t it. Meyers is. Of all FA receivers, I think he will be the best fit for the Bears, as the offense will have to be a spread the ball around, type passing attack. Meyers will be the best fit for that type of role.
Just my opinion, but I don't think they will pay a WR big money in free agency this year. Both Mooney and Claypool will be going into the final year of their rookie contracts next year and they Bears are going to have to spend to keep them both. I don't see a free-agent wide receiver that is better than the 2 guys currently on the roster.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Just my opinion, but I don't think they will pay a WR big money in free agency this year. Both Mooney and Claypool will be going into the final year of their rookie contracts next year and they Bears are going to have to spend to keep them both. I don't see a free-agent wide receiver that is better than the 2 guys currently on the roster.
Plus, no FA WR is going to want to sign with Chicago after a season where Fields is averaging less than 21 passing attempts per game.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Seeing the idea of signing Saquon Barkley being floated around. Not sure how I feel about paying a back big money with the injury history he has. If you want to sign a back to substantial change, I think I’d rather have Tony Pollard. I think Samaje Perine would be a really solid RB2 option as well.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Jauan Jennings of the 49ers is a RFA and with the WR’s on their roster, gotta imagine they aren’t matching much

He would be a nice pick up

4THQUARTERCLUTCHLER

Liked Posts:

Robert Quinn, DE, Philadelphia Eagles

Injury: Knee

Quinn was a late addition to the injury report this week. He's listed as out for Sunday against the Titans along with safety C.J. Gardner-Johnson (lacerated kidney). Defensive tackle Jordan Davis, meanwhile, is expected to make his return from a high ankle sprain -- just in time to face Derrick Henry.

-- Tim McManus

In poles we trusts or something

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Orlando Brown currently leads the NFL in pressures with 33. That is even more than Braxton Jones' 29 so no thanks.

Nijman has one more pressure than Borom albeit in about 70 more snaps. Still does not appear to be a significant upgrade.

Jenkins has given up 16 pressures playing LT but likely is a much better fit at LG or C so that signing makes sense.
Wonder where GB puts Jenkins next year

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Early because we dont ultimately know who will get tagged/extended before they hit open market, but as of now my dream offseason:

* Conklin - RT
* Pocic - C
* Payne - NT
* Hargrave - 3T
* Vander Esch - LB
* Sutton - CB
* Ngakoue - DE

Almost certainly some of the above wont actually make it to FA, but crazy thing is *if* they did Bears would easily have the cap space to sign all of them. Above haul also lets them go BPA with their first round pick in the draft (read: WR).
I'd take Pocic and Hargrave or A. Robinson from rams or Demont Jones from Bronc's and the RT from Atlanta McGary.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I'd take Pocic and Hargrave or A. Robinson from rams or Demont Jones from Bronc's and the RT from Atlanta McGary.
Yeah since this post I have come around to feel that McGary is the RT I want most in FA.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Yeah since this post I have come around to feel that McGary is the RT I want most in FA.

Same. Would love to come away with McGary, Hargrave, Ngaouke, and either Pocic/McGovern as the “immediate upgrade” signings. Would settle with McGlinchey but prefer McGary.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
How is McGary's pass blocking? Whenever I see someone hyping him up it's about his run blocking, but I feel that this team needs a better pass blocker at RT. Fields needs to time to read the Field abd run for his life less. I also think in a zone blocking scheme that we run road graders aren't necessary.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
How is McGary's pass blocking? Whenever I see someone hyping him up it's about his run blocking, but I feel that this team needs a better pass blocker at RT. Fields needs to time to read the Field abd run for his life less. I also think in a zone blocking scheme that we run road graders aren't necessary.
It improved to average-ish last year but not a strength. He’s one of, if not the best run blockers in the entire NFL though. McGlinchey isn’t very good in pass pro either so it’s either sign a known player in McGlinchey or McGary or draft and bank on a rookie.

I believe McGary also graded the highest in the league in outside zone runs

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
It improved to average-ish last year but not a strength. He’s one of, if not the best run blockers in the entire NFL though. McGlinchey isn’t very good in pass pro either so it’s either sign a known player in McGlinchey or McGary or draft and bank on a rookie.

I believe McGary also graded the highest in the league in outside zone runs
I'd rather have the Jacksonville RT in FA. I don't want to pay Mcgary top RT money to be average pass blocking.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I'd rather have the Jacksonville RT in FA. I don't want to pay Mcgary top RT money to be average pass blocking.
I forgot about him. He has a 58 overall PFF grade compared to 86 for McGary. He’s graded higher in pass pro though - 76 last season (career high) compared to 67 for McGary (also career high).

Not big enough of a difference in pass pro for me to turn down the best run blocker in the league. This teams identity is still going to be run heavy/play action. I expect a noticeable leap in the pass game, but Fields isn’t going to be slinging it all game like Mahomes.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I forgot about him. He has a 58 overall PFF grade compared to 86 for McGary. He’s graded higher in pass pro though - 76 last season (career high) compared to 67 for McGary (also career high).

Not big enough of a difference in pass pro for me to turn down the best run blocker in the league. This teams identity is still going to be run heavy/play action. I expect a noticeable leap in the pass game, but Fields isn’t going to be slinging it all game like Mahomes.

Thing is McGary only gave up 19 pressures albeit with 6 sacks. Seems to be a guy tjat generally holds up well in pass blocking but then has a few bad beats over the course of the seasons.

In any event his 91.6 run grade probably more than makes up for it. You get him next to Jenkins and get a Pocic and that right side can do some damage in the run game.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Didn’t Atlanta run a run heavy scheme or QB friendly scheme? I think these PFF numbers are not as valid here considering they ran completely different offenses, and Jacksonville had far more a ‘traditional’ pass attack

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Didn’t Atlanta run a run heavy scheme or QB friendly scheme? I think these PFF numbers are not as valid here considering they ran completely different offenses, and Jacksonville had far more a ‘traditional’ pass attack
You don’t think the Bears are going to be a run heavy team? Flus and Getsy are all about the run. Not to say the Bears won’t be looking to pass more than they did last season, but the team identity will remain heavy

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Their scheme is closer to the Bears than what Pederson runs which is similar to the Reid offense.

Taylor is the better pass blocker regardless. He is just a pretty poor run blocker. McGary is just a better overall fit for what the Bears scheme IMO.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
You don’t think the Bears are going to be a run heavy team? Flus and Getsy are all about the run. Not to say the Bears won’t be looking to pass more than they did last season, but the team identity will remain heavy
I think the bears sucked at passing and to bring in a guy that potentially isn’t a good pass blocker is going to lead to a recipe of the same issues of last year.

If we want the bears to be able to pass we need guys that can pass protect. Idk how much better one is than the other, but on paper I’d take mediocre run blocker with good pass blocking over vice versa.