FA 2023

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the bears sucked at passing and to bring in a guy that potentially isn’t a good pass blocker is going to lead to a recipe of the same issues of last year.

If we want the bears to be able to pass we need guys that can pass protect. Idk how much better one is than the other, but on paper I’d take mediocre run blocker with good pass blocking over vice versa.

The problem is Taylor isnt mediocre. He is atrocious as a run blocker. He graded out at 39.7 and 42.8 the last 2 years. He has basically been the worst run blocker at T in the entire NFL for 2 years running.

So its NFL worst run blocking paired with good pass blocking vs NFL best run blocking paired with mediocre pass blocking.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think the bears sucked at passing and to bring in a guy that potentially isn’t a good pass blocker is going to lead to a recipe of the same issues of last year.

If we want the bears to be able to pass we need guys that can pass protect. Idk how much better one is than the other, but on paper I’d take mediocre run blocker with good pass blocking over vice versa.
I think you go with the better and more impactful player and that’s McGary. It’s not like Taylor’s pass blocking is the difference in having a functional and competent passing attack.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The problem is Taylor isnt mediocre. He is atrocious as a run blocker. He graded out at 39.7 and 42.8 the last 2 years. He has basically been the worst run blocker at T in the entire NFL for 2 years running.

So its NFL worst run blocking paired with good pass blocking vs NFL best run blocking paired with mediocre pass blocking.
What was mcgary’s previous years at PB and RB

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
I think you go with the better and more impactful player and that’s McGary. It’s not like Taylor’s pass blocking is the difference in having a functional and competent passing attack.
I think that McGary probably had a better year but McGlinchey has had a much more consistent career and in my opinion a better choice to spend $10's Millions of dollars on. Both are top run-blocking tackles and not nearly as strong in pass protection. Both are significant upgrades over Borom and Reiff and hopefully one of them is in a bear's uniform next year.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think that McGary probably had a better year but McGlinchey has had a much more consistent career and in my opinion a better choice to spend $10's Millions of dollars on. Both are top run-blocking tackles and not nearly as strong in pass protection. Both are significant upgrades over Borom and Reiff and hopefully one of them is in a bear's uniform next year.

I’d be fine with McGlinchey as well

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What was mcgary’s previous years at PB and RB

Last year was his best year by far. His run blocking has improved every year 53.9, 65.9, 72.2 to 91.6. His pass blocking was in the 50s the past 3 years and 67 this past year.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Last year was his best year by far. His run blocking has improved every year 53.9, 65.9, 72.2 to 91.6. His pass blocking was in the 50s the past 3 years and 67 this past year.
So the question has to be is 91 and 67 an anomaly?

They had Mariotta and ridder running the most run heavy offense in the nfl. They ran something similar to what we bitched about watching the bears run all year.

Unable to pass block at all almost, needing to constantly move the pocket, can’t pass when down in games.

Does a player like McGary improve the line even with a probable decline to his near average? I’d say so. However, this doesn’t really change the bears imo. I want to see a run heavy offense but one that has more balance passing. Mcgary doesn’t do that for the bears

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So the question has to be is 91 and 67 an anomaly?

They had Mariotta and ridder running the most run heavy offense in the nfl. They ran something similar to what we bitched about watching the bears run all year.

Unable to pass block at all almost, needing to constantly move the pocket, can’t pass when down in games.

Does a player like McGary improve the line even with a probable decline to his near average? I’d say so. However, this doesn’t really change the bears imo. I want to see a run heavy offense but one that has more balance passing. Mcgary doesn’t do that for the bears

Sure that is a fair question but I believe the Bears were equally as run heavy. They had 559 rush attempts and we had 558 but for a higher YPC. So again for me McGary is a better fit. I think the other good thing is his run blocking has progressed each year so it feels like he is getting better rather than it being an anomaly but there is always a risk.

To be clear though, I have no problem with looking at other RT prospects. My comments were regarding McGary vs Taylor. I think Taylor is too poor a run blocking for me but if there was a RT that was a better pass blocking and an adequate run blocker then I would favor them over McGary.