Fast AF Boi

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't surprise me at all for Claypool to get those rebound throws, especially with Moore in tow.
Agreed that the book isn't closed on Claypool yet at all. Could definitely be a solid or a plus receiver. I am just saying he doesn't look like he plays at 4.4 speed.

There is easily a .1 to .2 variance in 40 times. Plenty of the guys that ran a 4.4 had a few 4.55 or 4.6 times in there as well.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
I honestly dont understand how someone as big and fast as Claypool is not a #1 WR. I really hope it was just a lack of experience in the system and JF and he has a break out season in 23`. Velus 4.31? What a waste.
I personally don't get why Getsy and company don't use him in the slot more, and as a move TE. Match that big guy on LB's and Safeties and let's go!

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I honestly dont understand how someone as big and fast as Claypool is not a #1 WR. I really hope it was just a lack of experience in the system and JF and he has a break out season in 23`. Velus 4.31? What a waste.
I think Claypool will breakout and he certainly has all the tools, I really liked him coming out and he started out great when big Ben was there.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
He didn't run at the combine, so that time is likely .05 or faster that what his combine would have been.

RAS had him at 4.48.

Either way, that's not 4.4.
Is that .08 important?

Bust

Liked Posts:
D.K. Metcalf was an absolute physical freak coming out in the draft yet that didn't stop teams from drafting N'Keal Harry, Mecole Hardman, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Parris Campbell and Andy Isabella over him. There's more to playing the position than just being big and fast, just ask Denzel Mims.

house-pointing.gif

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Homer is a quality NFL backup with special teams prowess, but your point is well taken.

Either Homer or a 4th TE could find themselves on the bubble.

However, the Bears will run the ball a ton and will need RB depth over a 17 game schedule. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Will they though? Plan is to not run Fields as much.
Real Q: How much of the league-first run game was Fields and will continue to be him?? I honestly don't know.

Also - If this team somehow plays with some leads, run game will also see more RB carries, as that certainly wasn't the case last year. Even offset of these 2 factors perhaps? Less Fields + at least a few games running out some clock?

Bust

Liked Posts:
Real Q: How much of the league-first run game was Fields and will continue to be him?? I honestly don't know.

Also - If this team somehow plays with some leads, run game will also see more RB carries, as that certainly wasn't the case last year. Even offset of these 2 factors perhaps? Less Fields + at least a few games running out some clock?

Got to pull off close games and finish. Remember the talk last season of how many games the bears lost by 6 points or less. That's every team in the league. As an example the Vikings. 6-0 in games decided by a fieldgoal or less. WOW! Those games can go either way. Justin and the offense had their chances. Had they turned those close games into wins . . . coulda shoulda woulda

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

I think they will absolutely run the ball a significant amount and without Fields being the primary ball carrier. Shanahan’s teams are wide zone, run first. They set up play action off the run. I believe the Bears want to play like that too. With Justin, they’ll be looking for deep shots off play action. The Niners with Jimmy G., seemed to favor intermediate routes between the numbers to fit his arm and skillset.

Hopefully, they are in position to burn clock to protect leads and close out games this year. As you stated, that leads to more RB carries too.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed that the book isn't closed on Claypool yet at all. Could definitely be a solid or a plus receiver. I am just saying he doesn't look like he plays at 4.4 speed.

There is easily a .1 to .2 variance in 40 times. Plenty of the guys that ran a 4.4 had a few 4.55 or 4.6 times in there as well.
What you're describing isn't Claypool. His combine runs were 4:44, 4.45 at 238lbs and he's been timed in the 4.3s, 21.5mph during a game while with the Steelers. He's not that quick twitch guy but he's fast and very willing to get physical, either going for balls or blocking. It's easy to understand why Poles went after him but he both needs to be used correctly and show more in his routes. That's not the slot where Pittsburgh had moved him. He may play there some just to keep a D guessing while playing quasi TE on runs etc but he's primarily an outside, win the ball type.

Last edited: