Fields vs Williams college stats compared

napo55

Liked Posts:
Check out sports-reference.com to compare the QBs' college passing records. They are pretty similar, but Justin Fields had a higher career passer rating (178.8) than Caleb Williams (169.3).

So the question in my mind is how many of Fields issues are directly attributable to the lack of offensive weapons--which would tend to affect any QB? By sheer luck the Bears stumbled into the number one pick last year and were able to pick up D J Moore, who had a career year with Fields. Other than Moore, the WRs were pretty much a total zero.

Any objective analysis must take this into consideration. Hopefully, Fields, if he stays, or Williams if he's picked, will have a much better WR room with better passing stats all around. In any case, drafting a rookie QB will be a big gamble-- which should also be factored in.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Check out sports-reference.com to compare the QBs' college passing records. They are pretty similar, but Justin Fields had a higher career passer rating (178.8) than Caleb Williams (169.3).

So the question in my mind is how many of Fields issues are directly attributable to the lack of offensive weapons--which would tend to affect any QB? By sheer luck the Bears stumbled into the number one pick last year and were able to pick up D J Moore, who had a career year with Fields. Other than Moore, the WRs were pretty much a total zero.

Any objective analysis must take this into consideration. Hopefully, Fields, if he stays, or Williams if he's picked, will have a much better WR room with better passing stats all around. In any case, drafting a rookie QB will be a big gamble-- which should also be factored in.

Fields had much better weapons and OL in college, but also played in a much tougher conference.

Poles is taking a huge risk no matter which door he takes

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:

Or maybe, just maybe, it has nothing to do with how many good WRs they have and they just can’t do it on the next level, the NFL.

Matt Leinart had 99 passing touchdowns in college to Justin Fields 63. How did that turn out?

When we drafted Fields, that was a big gamble like you said. 3 years in and we still don’t know if he’s him. If he’s your franchise QB. When you don’t know after he’s third year, then he ain’t it. Burrow, Allen, Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, there was no question after their 3rd year starting that they were the franchise QB. No question. They already knew they were it.

As much as I hate the motherfucker, just look at the pin point accuracy throws and pocket passing from Aaron Rodgers in his first game as a Jet. Fields does not make those throws. And if he did at times, it ain’t enough. It ain’t consistent. Hey, you had your chance, unfortunately we have the first pick and if the staff believes Williams is it and can get there faster, than it’s trading time.

Also, Rodgers was making these type of throws in his 2nd year starting and so on.

And let’s not start on the fumbles and the 4th quarters.

Last edited:

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Justin was a great college QB prospect when he was drafted. Being a good prospect doesn’t mean that you’ll be a stud in the NFL. It doesn’t even mean you’ll make it at all in he NFL.

Fields’s college QB history and stats are completely irrelevant at this point as he’s played 3 years in the NFL. Hes not a prospect anymore (Although he still may have room to grow). College stats don’t win you NFL games.

Last edited:

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

How much of it was attributable to Fields having a much better defense and not needing to the force the ball as much?

You'll notice Fields tanked in the NFL in known passing situations in the 4th quarter.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Or maybe, just maybe, it has nothing to do with how many good WRs they have and they just can’t do it on the next level, the NFL.

Matt Leinart had 99 passing touchdowns in college to Justin Fields 63. How did that turn out?

When we drafted Fields, that was a big gamble like you said. 3 years in and we still don’t know if he’s him. If he’s your franchise QB. When you don’t know after he’s third year, then he ain’t it. Burrow, Allen, Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, there was no question after their 3rd year starting that they were the franchise QB. No question. They already knew they were it.

As much as I hate the motherfucker, just look at the pin point accuracy throws and pocket passing from Aaron Rodgers in his first game as a Jet. Fields does not make those throws. And if he did at times, it ain’t enough. It ain’t consistent. Hey, you had your chance, unfortunately we have the first pick and if the staff believes Williams is it and can get there faster, than it’s trading time.

Also, Rodgers was making these type of throws in his 2nd year starting and so on.

And let’s not start on the fumbles and the 4th quarters.

Brees didn’t have a decent season until his fourth year (I realize you qualified it with third year starting). Steve Young was a project longer than that.

Terry Bradshaw took a long time to develop. John Elway did too. Marino was in the same draft class as Elway and he was a sure fire stud right out of the box. Kelly was good early too.

Fouts first good season was his 6th.

Eli Manning won two Super Bowls. How long was it before he was considered a franchise QB?

Enasic

Liked Posts:
True, but Fields has had a terrible group of WRs (except for Moore) with Chicago and I notice Williams supporters don't want to talk about that.

The big concern is that fields numbers and efficiency didn’t get much better at all with the addition of a bonafide #1.

Cmp%, TD%, rating were all basically the same and his TD% was actually down.

Sometimes adding more weapons doesn’t equate to as big of a jump in production as some would hope/expect. It could…but far too many people incorrectly think it’s a guarantee.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
The big concern is that fields numbers and efficiency didn’t get much better at all with the addition of a bonafide #1.

Cmp%, TD%, rating were all basically the same and his TD% was actually down.

Sometimes adding more weapons doesn’t equate to as big of a jump in production as some would hope/expect. It could…but far too many people incorrectly think it’s a guarantee.
He played less games so of course TDs would be down. He also had excellent numbers when passing to his bonafide #1. FYI DJ was only considered a good top 20 type WR before Justin helped him have easily his best season ever.

Maybe adding another equivalent WR and better pass protection is the simple and safe solution to what people wanted from Justin.

napo55

Liked Posts:
He played less games so of course TDs would be down. He also had excellent numbers when passing to his bonafide #1. FYI DJ was only considered a good top 20 type WR before Justin helped him have easily his best season ever.

Maybe adding another equivalent WR and better pass protection is the simple and safe solution to what people wanted from Justin.
Makes sense.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Makes sense.
It's pretty easy to find a good WR and the Bears have 3 easy choices in the top 10. So add another good WR to DJ Moore and you give Fields talent similar to what he had at OSU...

Nope all the "smart" fans would rather gamble on finding an elite QB (very difficult) instead. People love to gamble and go for broke on hitting the jackpot instead of doing what makes logical sense and keeping your winnings while you are ahead.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

fields was scouted as having a slow processor, lack of anticipation and some concerns with his throwing motion...the lack of anticipation could be attributed to the fact that he had stud WR's and ample protection so he could just sit back and wait for guys to get open and throw...The throwing motion is still a concern even though fields has worked on it and the slow processor is still an issue he just cant seem to overcome...He's also far more comfortable throwing outside the numbers instead of working the middle of the field which really limits your OC's playcalling

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Also the Bears interior lineman was subpar. Especially first 4 games. Nate Davis play was sub par all season due to death of mother
Tevin jenkins can’t stay healthy and last game against GB he sucked.

Patrick and Whitehair were really bad Centers.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
fields was scouted as having a slow processor, lack of anticipation and some concerns with his throwing motion...the lack of anticipation could be attributed to the fact that he had stud WR's and ample protection so he could just sit back and wait for guys to get open and throw...The throwing motion is still a concern even though fields has worked on it and the slow processor is still an issue he just cant seem to overcome...He's also far more comfortable throwing outside the numbers instead of working the middle of the field which really limits your OC's playcalling
"Slow processor" = unverifiable and subjective

Last season was his second year in the system and he started slow but turned things around. So is this slow processor claim actually saying that he is dumb or perhaps the truth is that his play style preference is to wait and look for big plays???

Is it "Lack of anticipation" or perhaps it is lack of trust in the wide receivers he is playing with? Does he lack anticipation & processing when throwing to Kmet & DJ Moore???

Perhaps people have an agenda and since the stats haven't reached a "franchise" level, people can continue to profess how smart they are.

Enasic

Liked Posts:

Don’t think less games has anything to do with a lower TD%

Adding more weapons and improving the OL could make a huge difference, or it might be marginal. Hard to say. That said…I don’t love any of the top 3 QBs and if I had to lean a direction, it would be get a haul, draft MHJ or Nabers in a trade down and stick with Fields.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I had posted the stats about a month ago in one of the various threads about QB this offseason. I found the snapshots I took and copied them in here again. Also note that I had Drake Maye before and so his stats are here again as well.

Justin Fields:
1705852390084.png

1705852406349.png

Caleb Williams:
1705852425206.png

1705852444052.png

Also a funny one to me I had not seen before, apparently Williams punted twice as a sophomore? Maybe if we draft him, we can also replace Gill?
1705852518716.png

Drake Maye:
1705852555885.png

1705852574897.png

Maye also with some punting ability apparently:
1705852613277.png