Fields vs Williams college stats compared

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At that point you stop caring what they do at QB and start thinking about other teams if nothing changes. No QB does it alone.
I really haven't run into any other fans than Bears fans who think that it can happen that way as much as Bears fans do. Bears fans even tend to dismiss '85 having a great offense.

it doesn't work when the blueprint for this, the 49ers just lost to an elite QB. KC wasn't exactly a offensive powerhouse all season but Mahomes is the x factor

Canth

Liked Posts:
it doesn't work when the blueprint for this, the 49ers just lost to an elite QB. KC wasn't exactly a offensive powerhouse all season but Mahomes is the x factor

I would change the narrative just a touch. You still need to build a team. One guy cannot completely just do it all by himself.

KC's defense played well this year to keep them in games to give Mahomes a chance to do his thing. On offense, they still had Kelce as a game changer for Mahomes. Eventually Rice emerged at WR and Pacheco kept the running game efficient for them. Their OL did just enough.

The narrative I believe is that you have to take the elite playmakers especially at the key positions like at QB when you have the opportunity. You cannot pass up your chance at Elite because those chances just don't come very often.

But yes, you should always strive to build a team that has elite or at least above average talent at every position. I imagine that is the goal of any GM. However, the reality is that is damn near impossible to achieve. Age, injuries, contracts, the CAP, are all going to be working against that. IMO, the reality is that you have to find a core of blue chip playmakers that you can keep together. For sustained success and real shots at a championships, one of those blue chip core players -has- to be the QB.

If you do not currently have an elite/blue-chip QB, and you think you have a real shot at an elite QB to put in your core, then you have to take that chance. Then you keep building around that guy and hopefully go win a Superbowl or three.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

You didn't watch the Super Bowl at all or were too drunk to pay attention?
KC's oline doesn't have an open door policy to the QB. KC has WRs that were taken 2 in the 2nd, 1 in the 1st. Their Center is not only actually a center but was drafted high by them to be a center.

We were told how great Whitehair is at Center when the OG can't hike the ball. We were sold on a 5th rounder being our #1 WR for years and have an overdrafted 3rd round WR who was projected to go in the 5th who shouldn't even be in the league.

By the time KC started Mahomes they brought in WR talent for him. They had 3 centers on the roster.
We get fed crap on offense for our rookie QBs and are told how great they are and they stick around. Gee, can't figure out why we can't manage to to train a highly projected rookie QB to be great.

I would change the narrative just a touch. You still need to build a team. One guy cannot completely just do it all by himself.

He won't. He's been claiming it's all the QB for too long. He's invested in proving what no team does.
He also knows resources for offense means less resources for defense and he buys into the McCaskey lie that hasn't worked since they took over and wasn't how Papa Bear did it.
He's happy being worse than the Browns.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
At that point you stop caring what they do at QB and start thinking about other teams if nothing changes. No QB does it alone.
I really haven't run into any other fans than Bears fans who think that it can happen that way as much as Bears fans do. Bears fans even tend to dismiss '85 having a great offense.
Good luck with that..

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

KC's defense played well this year to keep them in games to give Mahomes a chance to do his thing. On offense, they still had Kelce as a game changer for Mahomes. Eventually Rice emerged at WR and Pacheco kept the running game efficient for them. Their OL did just enough.

The narrative I believe is that you have to take the elite playmakers especially at the key positions like at QB when you have the opportunity. You cannot pass up your chance at Elite because those chances just don't come very often.

But yes, you should always strive to build a team that has elite or at least above average talent at every position. I imagine that is the goal of any GM. However, the reality is that is damn near impossible to achieve. Age, injuries, contracts, the CAP, are all going to be working against that. IMO, the reality is that you have to find a core of blue chip playmakers that you can keep together. For sustained success and real shots at a championships, one of those blue chip core players -has- to be the QB.

If you do not currently have an elite/blue-chip QB, and you think you have a real shot at an elite QB to put in your core, then you have to take that chance. Then you keep building around that guy and hopefully go win a Superbowl or three.

i agree but alot of bear fans, including the one i quoted, think that surrounding an average QB with more talent is somehow going to make him good enough to beat the elite in the playoffs.

they are resigned to the thought that 'oh the bears never get a franchise guy that works out, they should stop trying'

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
STOP talking about what Fields did in college, it is irrelevant now that he has NFL time.

Yes Williams college numbers are all we have right now, but comparing them to Fields college numbers is beyond useless.

I want the Bears to have a good QB. Fields or Williams with a bunch of good players around them and a good OC will be be good enough to win titles with a good D.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
i agree but alot of bear fans, including the one i quoted, think that surrounding an average QB with more talent is somehow going to make him good enough to beat the elite in the playoffs.

they are resigned to the thought that 'oh the bears never get a franchise guy that works out, they should stop trying'

Actually no. I've said many times you trade down and build around Fields to have a offense in place for a future QB because I'm of the thought that we've broken Fields. We did nothing towards giving him an oline or WRs he can trust so he's had nothing but 3 years of bad practice. That's not how someone gets better. I'd be leery of giving him a 5th so he'd have one year left to prove it and he'd have to do that with rookies at key positions.
If he ever had the ability 3 years suck is not how you get it out of him.

You're the one who wants to pretend there aren't hyped QBs almost every draft, you need this one. You need to bring in yet another highly projected QB without an offense for them to learn the NFL with because that has been working so well for the Bears.
I gave you plenty of opportunity to say if we get Williams the majority of the draft needs to go to offense. You refused because you think a rookie is instantly good.

If I would see fans saying to get Williams and commit to having an offense ASAP I could easily say he's worth a shot. But it's not worth getting any QB if we're not going to actually try to get that QB to work out.