FINALLY...trip with the family!

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Ok, where does one go to get locals aka real Chicago Pizza? I've been to Lous and Gino's but where do I find that bomb ass thin crust? You know I'll drop some pics!

If youre after a bomb thin cracker crust.. toninos party pizza cooked the fozzy way. You dont even have to go to chicago for it. BUT im sure its crispier in chicago, due to the plethora of crackers that are easily accessible,.

My bet would be on a place called pizza fried chicken ice cream. With a name like that, you know its all about the food.

Also, dont forget to stop by O Block to pay respektz to the King. I sure some top could be arranged

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Okay fellas, the boys are old enough so it's time to take my little tribe to Chicago this fall for some Bears and Cubs and I need your help!

We'll be there for week one against the Packers and the Cubs play on Saturday. Can't wait. Headed out Thursday morning and going to putz around West Chicago to see a couple of family sites like the graveyard, OG house and Cantigny park for the tanks. After that, I need some recommendations PLEASE!

Boys will be 9 and 11 and are very adventurous. We want to try great thin crust/cracker pizza and deep dish. Looking to do pizza at least twice, maybe three times. Also want to hit up an old school steakhouse and maybe some great Italian beef? Want to hit up a couple of museums and attractions as well. I know next to nothing about the city but we'll be staying in a hotel downtown area so getting around should be easy. Wife wants to take them to Navy Pier but is it worth it? The Bean? I like Art and would love to rock their world with some funky ass art.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Want to go all out and blow their minds with the scope and scale of everything.
If you're going to be by Cantigny hit up Al's Pizza, it's right down the street. Place has been there since like, 1959...so, you know it's fucking good. Eat at the attached bar, it's super towny but really cool/nostalgic. The owner's name is Janine, her old man opened the place. Half my highschool friends worked at the pizza place or the bar at some point (and if she's still there the bartender Melissa is fairly hot).

I'm not a fan of Navy Pier, but for kids it may be fine. I love the Art Institute. Kids would like the arms and armor section but would likely be bored by the rest. Field Museum is pretty much necessary. Dinosaurs, the Tsavo lions (Ghost and the Darkness), First Kings exhibit, tons of natural specimens...just go. Can always terrify them with the Sears Tower skydeck. The Shedd Aquarium is great. My favorite Chicago event is going to the Chicago Symphony then eating at the Russian Tea Time right around the corner. All of these things are within like 10 blocks or so.

Steak is kind of difficult to choose. The Chicago Chop House is a can't miss. RPM is really solid. GT Prime if you want to spend an absolute fortune. I guess the standard for Italian beef would be Portillo's? Dunno, there are just a ton of places that are really good.

Edit: Oh, if you plan on doing a steakhouse in the suburbs either the Turf Room (North Aurora) or Foxfire (Geneva).

Last edited:

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you're going to be by Cantigny hit up Al's Pizza, it's right down the street. Place has been there since like, 1959...so, you know it's fucking good. Eat at the attached bar, it's super towny but really cool/nostalgic. The owner's name is Janine, her old man opened the place. Half my highschool friends worked at the pizza place or the bar at some point (and if she's still there the bartender Melissa is fairly hot).

I'm not a fan of Navy Pier, but for kids it may be fine. I love the Art Institute. Kids would like the arms and armor section but would likely be bored by the rest. Field Museum is pretty much necessary. Dinosaurs, the Tsavo lions (Ghost and the Darkness), First Kings exhibit, tons of natural specimens...just go. Can always terrify them with the Sears Tower skydeck. The Shedd Aquarium is great. My favorite Chicago event is going to the Chicago Symphony then eating at the Russian Tea Time right around the corner. All of these things are within like 10 blocks or so.

Steak is kind of difficult to choose. The Chicago Chop House is a can't miss. RPM is really solid. GT Prime if you want to spend an absolute fortune. I guess the standard for Italian beef would be Portillo's? Dunno, there are just a ton of places that are really good.

Edit: Oh, if you plan on doing a steakhouse in the suburbs either the Turf Room (North Aurora) or Foxfire (Geneva).
Fantastic, TJ. Thanks!

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My two bits....

Navy Pier, kids might like it and if wife wants to go..... That said it is a tourist trap. However, you can take a water taxi from Navy Pier to the Museum campus (so a short walk to SF). This provides a unique view of the city and it cuts off waiting in a lot of traffic. Or, at least it is more fun that waiting in traffic especially if the weather is nice. I think if you eat at Harry Carry's before (and it is mediocre at best) you get the taxi free. If you take the taxi back, it is a lot easier to get a taxi or Uber from Navy Pier than SF.

Steakhouses. Bavette's is a great choice and so is RPM steak. I have not been to GT Prime and its been years since we've been to the Chop House. Maple and Ash is our favorite but it can be loud and trendy and expensive even for a Chicago steak house.

I'm not a huge fan of "Chicago pizza" but I have had my share. Malnati's or Pequod's would be our first choice, Avoid Giordono's on Rush....stay away. I don't know of any cracker crust places. Spaca Napolli is the best thin (Naples style) pizza I've had in the city but it is up in Ravenswood. Peace Pizza is also good but not convenient to your location. Coal Fire is another option if youu are close-by.

Italian Beef? The most convenient will probably be Als's and/orPortillo's (which has been discussed in other threads) but Johnnie's is another name to look for. I like Italian Beef but I can't say there is a huge difference in all of them. Many will disagree.

The Field Museum is as close to a "must" as you can get. Shedd Aquarium is fantastic as well. The architecture tour by boat may not interest kids their age but is very interesting. The Art Institute is fantastic if you want to introduce them to some art.

Rick Bayless' places were recommended and I agree. Also in that area, Purple Pig and Jaleo (Jose Andres) are a lot of fun. Eataly is an interesting visit and you can get all kinds of foods , sweets, pizza, wine bar, ice cream, coffee....

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fox's Pizza is some great cracker-crust thin, and tastes unique.

Problem with these fuckers is they're out in the burbs and rather expensive for what they offer.

Legit weird tiny franchise of "pub" family restaurants, but their pizza is actually really tasty if you're looking for the thin cracker-crust type.

If I could I'd buy rights to their pizza recipe and build out locations that do carryout/delivery only with that pizza along with an updated selection of toppings and appetizer items.

I could handle all the online ordering stuff myself, maybe even just build out my own little off-the-shelf DoorDash implementation.

@tardigrade get the gator..... we have a pizza recipe to steal/coerce into our possession.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Fox's Pizza is some great cracker-crust thin, and tastes unique.

Problem with these fuckers is they're out in the burbs and rather expensive for what they offer.

Legit weird tiny franchise of "pub" family restaurants, but their pizza is actually really tasty if you're looking for the thin cracker-crust type.

If I could I'd buy rights to their pizza recipe and build out locations that do carryout/delivery only with that pizza along with an updated selection of toppings and appetizer items.

I could handle all the online ordering stuff myself, maybe even just build out my own little off-the-shelf DoorDash implementation.

@tardigrade get the gator..... we have a pizza recipe to steal/coerce into our possession.
"Gator 'Za: We're Faster Because We Can Offroad"

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alright booked the flight and the boat tour along with a Wrigley tour. Can't book Bavettes until 21 days out. Anyone have good recommendations for hotels near all the cool shit downtown? Want to be able to walk around outside the hotel and find random food/sighting with the kids without any fear. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Have a great time, enjoy your trip!!

Reactions: DC

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Alright booked the flight and the boat tour along with a Wrigley tour. Can't book Bavettes until 21 days out. Anyone have good recommendations for hotels near all the cool shit downtown? Want to be able to walk around outside the hotel and find random food/sighting with the kids without any fear. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
I recommend the Whitehall hotel. W is good too.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This won't help you on your trip, but have you tried Jimano's in Denver? It appears to be the only Chicago style thin crust pizza joint in town. I haven't tried it yet, but I am fiending for Chicago tavern thin pizza. Or if there are any other options around Denver?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
this is soldier field, not the columbian world expo! you might get carjacked at the nearby jewel, but not poop-scooped by your bidet!

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Au Cheval for a burger. Amazing burgers.

I second the Purple Pig. It is right next to the architectural tour boat entrances if I remember correctly. Have had great bone marrow there more than once.

Lou's for a large deep dish Chicago classic. And yes they have good salads as well if you need something green to offset the decadence that is the Chicago classic. I think it is standard with the Chicago classic, but get the butter crust.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Au Cheval for a burger. Amazing burgers.

I second the Purple Pig. It is right next to the architectural tour boat entrances if I remember correctly. Have had great bone marrow there more than once.

Lou's for a large deep dish Chicago classic. And yes they have good salads as well if you need something green to offset the decadence that is the Chicago classic. I think it is standard with the Chicago classic, but get the butter crust.

Au Cheval is fantastic! If they have fried chicken get it. The fried bologna and the foil gras & scrambled eggs are wonderful, too. No reservations though. This was our go-to before 4pm Bears games (when we had tickets).

Hotels are about what you can or want to afford. The only one I would avoid is the Marriott on Michigan. It is convenient but that is all. We’ve stayed in dozens of places over the years we have been visiting Chicago.

Last edited: