Flat Top Griddles

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Any of you have one? I recently got a good deal on a 36" Blackstone. It's still in the box while I make a good spot for it in my lanai, but I'm really looking forward to getting it set up to cook some epic stuff.

On the agenda so far...big breakfasts, fajitas, of course some smashburgs. Also want to see how well it sears steaks out of the sous vide. I'd imagine I can get it hot enough with things cranked up. Really looking forward to that one because doing that for 4+ people in a single cast iron is a pain working in batches.

If you have one, or know someone else who does, what else is good to cook on these things?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Any of you have one? I recently got a good deal on a 36" Blackstone. It's still in the box while I make a good spot for it in my lanai, but I'm really looking forward to getting it set up to cook some epic stuff.

On the agenda so far...big breakfasts, fajitas, of course some smashburgs. Also want to see how well it sears steaks out of the sous vide. I'd imagine I can get it hot enough with things cranked up. Really looking forward to that one because doing that for 4+ people in a single cast iron is a pain working in batches.

If you have one, or know someone else who does, what else is good to cook on these things?
I have a BIG griddle on my range top. It's great for making epic stuffed hashbrown "omelets"

Of course pancakes are quick as well. But smashburgers is why I made sure to get the griddle, I don't really do burgers on the grill anymore unless they're big boys and I did the grind myself for a rare fatty steakhouse style burg.

Works great for Philly cheese steaks too.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I have a BIG griddle on my range top. It's great for making epic stuffed hashbrown "omelets"

Of course pancakes are quick as well. But smashburgers is why I made sure to get the griddle, I don't really do burgers on the grill anymore unless they're big boys and I did the grind myself for a rare fatty steakhouse style burg.

Been thinking about getting a meat grinder. I think that could take my burger game up a notch or two.

Edit - would love some tips on hashbrown omelets

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Been thinking about getting a meat grinder. I think that could take my burger game up a notch or two.

I just shred like 5 big russet baking potatoes with food processor and put into ice cold water for 10 min, then squeeze out the water in a big kitchen towel.

Then it's bacon or chicken fat on a 450 degree griddle, spread out the potatoes on top, salt and pepper, let them get golden.

I put a layer of American cheese, diced onions, green onions and diced bacon on one half of the Browns then flip the other half on top. Toss a sunny side up egg on top of each serving.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I just shred like 5 big russet baking potatoes with food processor and put into ice cold water for 10 min, then squeeze out the water in a big kitchen towel.

Then it's bacon or chicken fat on a 450 degree griddle, spread out the potatoes on top, salt and pepper, let them get golden.

I put a layer of American cheese, diced onions, green onions and diced bacon on one half of the Browns then flip the other half on top. Toss a sunny side up egg on top of each serving.
Sounds fucking amazing. Thank you!

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I have a cast iron one that can either go across 2 burners on my range or on a grill. It definitely gets the most use for doing massive hangover breakfasts. Works real well for skillet type meals.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer the grinder attachment is great. That is about all I use the mixer for. Have a friend that cooks on his Blackstone all of the time. Loves it. I am very much in the market. Good thread.

I have (actually had) a griddle for my gas grill but it was messy and hard to clean.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

So I'm looking at either a Rec-Tec or a Grlla pellet smoker. On both you get a cast iron flat top extra that you can put on top of them. I don't know if that would alleviate the need for something like the Blackstone, but I'm going to be doing that. I think the one major difference is going to be the cleanup.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So I'm looking at either a Rec-Tec or a Grlla pellet smoker. On both you get a cast iron flat top extra that you can put on top of them. I don't know if that would alleviate the need for something like the Blackstone, but I'm going to be doing that. I think the one major difference is going to be the cleanup.
I had one like that I could put on my camp chef gas burner setup. It worked pretty well. But maintenance and cleaning were an issue. Hoping I do better with a dedicated unit. I also bought a hard and silicone cover.

It seems like the trick is seasoning well, cleaning immediately after (and even during) cooking, then hitting it with another thin layer of oil while cooling down, and keeping it covered.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer the grinder attachment is great. That is about all I use the mixer for. Have a friend that cooks on his Blackstone all of the time. Loves it. I am very much in the market. Good thread.

I have (actually had) a griddle for my gas grill but it was messy and hard to clean.
Thank you!

I'll look into the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment.

And same. Also have a griddle for my gas burner setup. It's still in my garage, and I could probably bring it back to life with some time, oil, heat and elbow grease. But I don't feel like dealing with that.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
As long as it has the ability to get super hot, then functionality including cleanup should be similar enough I'd think.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
As long as it has the ability to get super hot, then functionality including cleanup should be similar enough I'd think.
Probably more a matter of taking it off after cleaning, storing it somewhere, etc. Also I'm more diligent about cleaning/maintenance stuff these days. Or maybe I'll fuck up this Blackstone too. Lol.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Check out some stir Fry recipies. There is NO shortage of YT/TikTok blackstone recipes. Easy shit really. The key is day old rice. Then any protein/veg you have on hand. Easy week night meal that can be as basic or fancy as you wish

I’ve also watch a video of biscuit n gravy done in the blackstone. Looks fucking awesome but haven’t had time to do it yet

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Fozzie Land, Muppet City, The Former US of A
as long as you can get it hot itll be okay.. even if it has hot spots.. learn them.... common sense applies, dont pick it up with you hands unless cool... use gloves/towels n shit... or get a fucking flame thrower n torch em..

Last edited:

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

Asian stir frys are great. Turn your lanai into a Sakura! Don't forget to fling scalding hot shrimp bites across the fence to your neighbors. As you get better you can make a onion volcano or a fried rice heart that beats when you put your spatula under it.

But for real, you now have a smaller version of a Japanese steakhouse. You owe it to yourself to try. There are some pretty good yum yum sauce recipes out there too.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

First off, flat top everything, Hell Yes!!!!!!! This is what I use.
Flat Top Original - For 30" Gas Range Stoves

I used butter for my hash browns for decades, and everybody loved them. Then some trouble maker on the internet (yeah probably you) suggested Bacon grease, and that did change everything. I cry now when I think about all the Bacon grease I threw away.

To the people that worry about the health concerns of using Bacon grease, don't do it a lot and work out, just like when I used butter. If it's a special treat and you pay the price by working out, it is so worth the extra effort.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
First off, flat top everything, Hell Yes!!!!!!! This is what I use.
Flat Top Original - For 30" Gas Range Stoves

I used butter for my hash browns for decades, and everybody loved them. Then some trouble maker on the internet (yeah probably you) suggested Bacon grease, and that did change everything. I cry now when I think about all the Bacon grease I threw away.

To the people that worry about the health concerns of using Bacon grease, don't do it a lot and work out, just like when I used butter. If it's a special treat and you pay the price by working out, it is so worth the extra effort.
Along with this, chicken fat (I render from air frying thighs) is just as healthy as really good olive oil. But good and greasy like bacon fat!

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How is the cleaning/maintenance for one of these?

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
How is the cleaning/maintenance for one of these?
It is more work than a cast iron frying pan because of the size, but not bad. Finding a place to store the beast will suck in an apt. or small kitchen.

But when you want to feed a house full of people, there is nothing better! I also have a gas, and a charcoal grill and a pellet smoker outside. I am also going to pull the trigger on a pizza oven because I am insane and need 10 different things to cook on in my back yard.