Flat Top Griddles

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It is more work than a cast iron frying pan because of the size, but not bad. Finding a place to store the beast will suck in an apt. or small kitchen.

But when you want to feed a house full of people, there is nothing better! I also have a gas, and a charcoal grill and a pellet smoker outside. I am also going to pull the trigger on a pizza oven because I am insane and need 10 different things to cook on in my back yard.
I have a gas ooni pizza oven. Love it, thin NY style done in a couple min.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It is more work than a cast iron frying pan because of the size, but not bad. Finding a place to store the beast will suck in an apt. or small kitchen.

But when you want to feed a house full of people, there is nothing better! I also have a gas, and a charcoal grill and a pellet smoker outside. I am also going to pull the trigger on a pizza oven because I am insane and need 10 different things to cook on in my back yard.
Sounds like my backyard

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Nice job patting your thousanaire backs about your outdoor suburban kitchens in Lilly white mcmansion subdivisions while you pay real estate tax and HOA fees and think you actually own the place and wouldn't know authentic pizza even of you put a trip to Rome on one of your credit cards.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just got a blackstone. Have only done "Teppanyaki" style scrimps so far, but have been watching tons of youtube recipes that look awesome. Looking forward to seeing good recipes here that people have tried! (ETA: cleaning was super easy, but it was only after one cook. Throw water on it while it was cooling. Scrapey, scrapey. Then wipe with oil of your choice. I have stuff to do more intense cleaning, but that should only be needed a couple times a year, I think.)

As for pizza oven, I have a Gozney. From what I have seen, compared to an Ooni that a buddy has, it is not as easy to use wood. I mostly do propane because of that.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

That's why I like the idea of the Rec-Tec or Grlla. All have the functionality of the pellet smoker, grill, outdoor oven, and attachments for a grill pan. Space saver, and depending on the model, probably ends up being cheaper.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
That's why I like the idea of the Rec-Tec or Grlla. All have the functionality of the pellet smoker, grill, outdoor oven, and attachments for a grill pan. Space saver, and depending on the model, probably ends up being cheaper.
You are 100% right. I bought my stuff in the wrong order, I could have saved a lot of money if I planned it out better from the start. But I had no idea I would wind up with all this gear.

I do love the equipment I have and cook 90% of my meals outside. Here in Las Vegas July and August are the tough months to cook outside, (like Jan and Feb in Chicago) but I manage. I go into the pool between steak flips! Getting a tan while you cook, come on!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Any of you have one? I recently got a good deal on a 36" Blackstone. It's still in the box while I make a good spot for it in my lanai, but I'm really looking forward to getting it set up to cook some epic stuff.

On the agenda so far...big breakfasts, fajitas, of course some smashburgs. Also want to see how well it sears steaks out of the sous vide. I'd imagine I can get it hot enough with things cranked up. Really looking forward to that one because doing that for 4+ people in a single cast iron is a pain working in batches.

If you have one, or know someone else who does, what else is good to cook on these things?
I often like to cook veggies to have with my steak, such as zucchini, peppers, onions, mushrooms. I have cooked them in a basket or in a foil pouch on the grill in the past, but boy they sure work nice and easy on the Blackstone griddle.

If you haven’t already, get a melting dome for covering burgers, or even the veggies I mentioned.

Love my Blackstone.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Here's a bunch of veggie baskets for the grill:

I have a Weber one that sure only cost an extra $10 because of the name.

EDIT: That link takes you to where I was talking about. Not sure why it came up as 'human or robot?'

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Pizza oven is boxy on my list I’ve just been holding out tho. I fear I would not use it enough

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's a bunch of veggie baskets for the grill:

I have a Weber one that sure only cost an extra $10 because of the name.

EDIT: That link takes you to where I was talking about. Not sure why it came up as 'human or robot?'

Love to use veggie baskets on a grill!!!!! Not a fan of the cylindrical ones, it is tough to get an even cook on all sides with them.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pizza oven is boxy on my list I’ve just been holding out tho. I fear I would not use it enough
Yup, that is why it's the last item on my list. I am buying a pizza oven for the yard because a friend who is not a great cook cranks out some of the very best pizzas I have ever tasted on his.

I am probably going with an Ooni, this is a great article showing whats out there.

Considering a Pizza Oven for Summer Entertaining? These Are the Best Options We've Tested

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We get it @HeHateMe, you've done a couple shifts at the Waffle House...

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I just thought of another one, and can't believe it took me this long.

One of my favorite things in the world is a blackened grouper sandwich. Florida shit. I've probably eaten that sandwich from at least 50+ restaurants, and there are a few that stand out. But I think that I can beat them. New culinary mission.

I probably could have pulled it off in a cast iron working in batches, but having a whole griddle is gonna be really nice.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

One of my favorite things in the world is a blackened grouper sandwich. Florida shit. I've probably eaten that sandwich from at least 50+ restaurants, and there are a few that stand out. But I think that I can beat them. New culinary mission.

I probably could have pulled it off in a cast iron working in batches, but having a whole griddle is gonna be really nice.
Yo have u ever tried cooking fish in a 1000 degree pizza oven?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I have not. But I'd imagine it takes about 20 seconds.
Just put a little butter underneath and a lot right on top and ?

You're blackening rub, would it make a mess of your griddle? What do you throw together for it?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I bet with some super thin filets, and an herb/butter/parm/breadcrumb light coating it could work. Basically flash broiling.

Top with a white wine, lemon juice, butter sauce when it comes out. Maybe throw some capers and fresh grated parm on their for good measure. Serve with lemon wedges. Sauteed spinach and garlic and some angel hair on the side.

Might work. The whole trick is getting an even crust on the outside, and still nailing the interior texture right on the fish.

PS- I know it was a joke, but I'm honestly sitting here trying to think of how I would make fish in a pizza oven.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Just put a little butter underneath and a lot right on top and ?

You're blackening rub, would it make a mess of your griddle? What do you throw together for it?
Re blackening rub - idk yet. This is going to be a whole experimentation process.

Also need to figure out where to locally source the best ingredients (grouper, rolls, produce, etc).

And then, making the most epic tartar sauce (or variant thereof) I can come up with.

This is going to be the best fish sandwich in existence, or die tryin.