Foley fluff piece

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"There is still John Wiedeman on Blackhawks radio, either over Tribune Co.'s WGN-AM 720 or, if the Cubs are playing, WIND-AM 560. But that's not the same, and when Foley is asked what it would cost to get him to watch a game with you, he can only laugh."

That's true.... It's far better on the radio.

That said, what do you account for Pat's slide? Harry Caray syndrome? Aging?

Sad to say, but his best days are behind him...

article

Well as sad as it is I won't miss him. He no longer calls the game, he bullshits with "No Check".

Pat, I often find myself turning the sound down WHEN you guys are NOT calling the game too!

Rdrhwke

Liked Posts:
I agiree on the point that Foley and Nocheck go off into the ozone and then just start yucking it up over some stupid shit.

I still like Foley and have to wonder if he had a different partner if the mindless babble would stop.

[quote name="Rdrhwke"]I agiree on the point that Foley and Nocheck go off into the ozone and then just start yucking it up over some stupid shit.

I still like Foley and have to wonder if he had a different partner if the mindless babble would stop.[/quote]

That five minutes of BROWN NOSE, ASS KISSING at the end of last game was enough for me to finally decide I'm past him. It was disgusting on many levels. Not to mention no where did he mention the team Tallon built.

He did how ever thank all those "Kids" that wouldn't know "customer service" if it hit them in the head. Along with Coat Tail Jay!

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With all due respect, I lost count as to the number of times he called Rinne Niemi and vice versa in the first round.

That's not Eddie, but it is not giving a damn about the job you're supposed to be doing.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="klemmer"]With all due respect, I lost count as to the number of times he called Rinne Niemi and vice versa in the first round.

That's not Eddie, but it is not giving a damn about the job you're supposed to be doing.[/quote]

Well he gets paid to be drunk and watch Hawks games for free :-D

Give me that job, I'll bring my own alcohol and I'll pronounce the Finnish goalies correctly!

Saddest part he's NOT drunk. His best years have passed him by.

I'd be all for putting John and Troy in their place. Let Eddie go off to National TV, or maybe an Assistant Head Coach, so that he can call players out for not being physical, like he was his entire career.

John and Troy are excellent. Both very approachable and professional.

Rdrhwke

Liked Posts:
[quote name="klemmer"]With all due respect, I lost count as to the number of times he called Rinne Niemi and vice versa in the first round.

That's not Eddie, but it is not giving a damn about the job you're supposed to be doing.[/quote]

That was pretty annoying but I do wonder how many times that would have happened if not for Foley and Nocheck constantly babbling and turning their attention elsewhere.

Still, no excuse for Foley doing it.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really relevant to this thread but this was in that article:

Foley said. "Then it got to where sports radio hosts were prohibited from talking about hockey and, if some guy called in from Melrose Park to talk hockey, they were told to get him off the air as soon as possible. To see it sink to that depth was such a shame."

This still pisses me off. EVEN NOW hardly anyone on the radio here knows enough about hockey to discuss line combos, strategy...

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I still enjoy Foley. I grew up with him behind the microphone and he still sounds like Blackhawks hockey.

Foley has always gone off on a tangent with whatever color guy is working with him. Him and Tallon used to do it all the time.

Foley's best days were on the radio, but he's still pretty good. He's a legend in Chicago, as much as Harry Carey was. Can't imagine not having him as the voice of the Hawks.

fanof19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]
[quote name="Rdrhwke"]I agiree on the point that Foley and Nocheck go off into the ozone and then just start yucking it up over some stupid shit.

I still like Foley and have to wonder if he had a different partner if the mindless babble would stop.[/quote]

That five minutes of BROWN NOSE, ASS KISSING at the end of last game was enough for me to finally decide I'm past him. It was disgusting on many levels. Not to mention no where did he mention the team Tallon built.

He did how ever thank all those "Kids" that wouldn't know "customer service" if it hit them in the head. Along with Coat Tail Jay![/quote]

no matter how you slice it, Foley just isn't good. But, McD gave the people what they wanted....Foley back in the booth. As far as ass kissing, he actually slammed Tallon that game with some comments about the Sedin sisters and the scouting staff. I'd never talk to Pat again if it were me.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
I used to think Foley Was a great caller of the game. I am right. He USED to be great. He is a bit off, and honestly, so was Carey, and that was his charm. It doesn't work with Foley and hockey though. Baseball has many moments of down time, hockey does not.

I understand the friendly banter between Foley and Nocheck. There has to be, otherwise it is just an abysmal play by play. I am not a fan of their banter, mind you, but I understand it. There's always gonna be ass kissing, but those 2 are a bit much.

John and Troy are great. John paints a picture that the listener can see. When I hear Jown calling the game, I can picture the ice and the players positions perfectly. Troy explains things without talking down to the listener. So pretty much the opposite of NoCheck.

John and Troy > Foley and Nocheck

All that said, it was absolutely the right move by bringing him back. It needed to be done.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="jakobeast"]I used to think Foley Was a great caller of the game. I am right. He USED to be great. He is a bit off, and honestly, so was Carey, and that was his charm. It doesn't work with Foley and hockey though. Baseball has many moments of down time, hockey does not.

I understand the friendly banter between Foley and Nocheck. There has to be, otherwise it is just an abysmal play by play. I am not a fan of their banter, mind you, but I understand it. There's always gonna be ass kissing, but those 2 are a bit much.

John and Troy are great. John paints a picture that the listener can see. When I hear Jown calling the game, I can picture the ice and the players positions perfectly. Troy explains things without talking down to the listener. So pretty much the opposite of NoCheck.

John and Troy > Foley and Nocheck

All that said, it was absolutely the right move by bringing him back. It needed to be done.[/quote]

John and Troy have their bantering moments as well, but it comes across in a totally different manner, just the same as when they put on their shill hats..

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
Eddie was actually decent today. I think the penis, Eddie and Doc have decided they want the Hawks to win the series, and I hope the slobbering continues, some X factor about the Sharks pisses me off.

As for Foley, his best days are behind him but if someone told him to focus and do his job he'd probably be back to normal. But with the whole anointing him king when he came back probably gave him the sense that he is invincible and can do whatever while calling the game, and its true, there is no way in hell McD would ever fire Foler no matter what.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
Eddie is fine on the national broadcasts. I like him on the national broadcasts, but not on the Hawks.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="jakobeast"]Eddie is fine on the national broadcasts. I like him on the national broadcasts, but not on the Hawks.[/quote]

Ehhh... Eddie on national Broadcasts when the Hawks are playing are typically bad. When he's on a local broadcast he just ruins Foley's concentration on the game with his terribad jokes.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eh, I certainly won't miss his non-calling calling of the games down the stretch. Foley has worked my last goddamn nerve this season so not hearing his weak sauce again until fall is fine by me.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Rdrhwke"]I still like Foley and have to wonder if he had a different partner if the mindless babble would stop.[/quote]

You only have to listen to Konroyd with him in the booth to know the answer to that one.

In all honesty, I don't even pay attention to Edwin and Pat when I have the game on. I get tired of the lame commentary.