Foley fluff piece

[quote name="puckjim"]
[quote name="R K"]The OVERWHELMING majority of Hawks fans like him there.

Really? Well this site of DIE HARD HAWK FANS completely disagree's with that statement. So do BOTH other fans sites, excluding the Officials which are so full of bandwagon fans the sample would be tainted.

A small sample size but when you find me a larger one, let me know.

Until then that statement you just made is bullshit.

And don't "assume" John would change his style. You have absolutely no clue or proof that he would. Sorry your child hood broadcasting Icon has lost it. I loved Foley, but that does not mean I'll make myself blind to his inadequacies. Nor his in ability to even get the players names right these days.[/quote]

This site's sample size is meaningless so that makes that point irrelevant.

The 300 level or Miller's site doesn't discuss Foley anywhere near as much as it's discussed here.

Pat changed when he went to TV....John would likely do the same. It's just natural because a picture tells a thousand words, so your play-by-play guy doesn't have to.

But you know what bullshit is? Assuming that this entire site agrees with your viewpoint.[/quote]

Nice try but I never said that. Making shit up?

I said the sample size of opinions far out weighs the fact of you praising his greatness and saying he deserves to be right where he is.

You are assuming about John. Just as you are assuming a "majority of the Hawk fans like Foley where he is".

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
[quote name="R K"]
[quote name="puckjim"]
[quote name="R K"]The OVERWHELMING majority of Hawks fans like him there.

Really? Well this site of DIE HARD HAWK FANS completely disagree's with that statement. So do BOTH other fans sites, excluding the Officials which are so full of bandwagon fans the sample would be tainted.

A small sample size but when you find me a larger one, let me know.

Until then that statement you just made is bullshit.

And don't "assume" John would change his style. You have absolutely no clue or proof that he would. Sorry your child hood broadcasting Icon has lost it. I loved Foley, but that does not mean I'll make myself blind to his inadequacies. Nor his in ability to even get the players names right these days.[/quote]

The 300 level or Miller's site doesn't discuss Foley anywhere near as much as it's discussed here.

Pat changed when he went to TV....John would likely do the same. It's just natural because a picture tells a thousand words, so your play-by-play guy doesn't have to.

But you know what bullshit is? Assuming that this entire site agrees with your viewpoint.[/quote]

Nice try but I never said that. Making shit up?

I said the sample size of opinions far out weighs the fact of you praising his greatness and saying he deserves to be right where he is.

You are assuming about John. Just as you are assuming a "majority of the Hawk fans like Foley where he is".[/quote]

I'll pick a bigger sample size, if you'd like.

Want to bet $100 that Foley gets a HUGE ovation at the 'Convention, just like last year?

I bet there were close to 7000 people in that hall.

Side bet that he doesn't have more than 2-3 people booing him?

I never said he was great...I said he was iconic. And yes, he deserves to be there.

He is the Hawks' Ernie Harwell.

why would anyone boo him? Where did that come from?

He's an icon but that doesn't mean he's the best at what he does. Why would he not get cheers? I never said anything of the sort. He is no longer what he used to be. Fact.

You are so off on a tangent now we are done. :roll:

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pat's problem is that his dentures keep falling out. One would think that Fixident would help...

Seriously though, I used to like him but Pat's best days are behind him, partner or no partner. Perhaps the couple seasons with the Wolves killed him. Perhaps he is just not that into it knowing that many fans are fawning over him. Whatever it is, I tune into John and Troy for road games.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
Perhaps they messed him up when they stopped the simulcast.

[quote name="jakobeast"]Perhaps they messed him up when they stopped the simulcast.[/quote]

You know Jeff I wondered that same thing when he first came back but I just think it's his age and time away. He's no where near the same after returning than before. It also wasn't 100% the Hawks doing he left. Although I don't think you'd convince those that refuse to believe anything other than what they make up for themselves.

I'm ok listening to the radio and I go to EVERY Home game so it doesn't bother me much. I just think there's someone better that can do the job and has so much more excitement doing it. The type of excitement Pat has lost along the way.

[quote name="BiscuitintheBasket"]Pat's problem is that his dentures keep falling out. One would think that Fixident would help...

Seriously though, I used to like him but Pat's best days are behind him, partner or no partner. Perhaps the couple seasons with the Wolves killed him. Perhaps he is just not that into it knowing that many fans are fawning over him. Whatever it is, I tune into John and Troy for road games.[/quote]

exactly.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="puckjim"]

He is the Hawks' Ernie Harwell.[/quote]

and, with posts like this, you cement your reputation as this board's FrankG

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
[quote name="klemmer"]
[quote name="puckjim"]

and, with posts like this, you cement your reputation as this board's FrankG[/quote]

Anyone that believes that has opinion that is worth about as much as something FrankG would write.

E Runs

Liked Posts:
[quote name="puckjim"]

In fact Foley even talked about not needing to describe every single detail once he was no longer doing the radio simulcast. John is great on the radio side but even then there are times when I wish he'd take a breath. Has Foley lost a step? Sure that's what happens as we age.

There sure seems to be disproportionate amount of energy wasted on the team's broadcasts.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="puckjim"]
[quote name="klemmer"]
[quote name="puckjim"]

and, with posts like this, you cement your reputation as this board's FrankG[/quote]

Anyone that believes that has opinion that is worth about as much as something FrankG would write.[/quote]

Pat Foley does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Ernie Harwell by any stretch of the imagination.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="klemmer"]
[quote name="puckjim"]
[quote name="klemmer"]

Anyone that believes that has opinion that is worth about as much as something FrankG would write.[/quote]

Pat Foley does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Ernie Harwell by any stretch of the imagination.[/quote]

At least he hasn't reached "Ron Santo" level yet.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Jim, how do you say IHN is too small of a sample size, then point to Millers and Stuys?

On the old boards, there were over 150,000 posts, more than Millers (and the site was much much younger also) and he has like 5 more members than IHN did...

Stuys has almost 50 less members than IHN did...

Am I missing something here? How much bigger of a sample size is needed?

Also, not siding with anyone here, but if you want to find all the die-hards, I'd say all three sites are pretty worthwhile, IHN, BHZ, and Stuys.

tvltre

Liked Posts:
The only reason I was happy with Pat coming back was that it meant Dan Kelly was gone!

I thought that Pat would shut Edzo up...but instead is encouraging that moron to speak more.

I don't listen to the telecast...i just can't stand listening to the banter that has been going on since Tallon was in the booth.

Foley has lost it and should retire.

ericthered

Liked Posts:
[quote name="jakobeast"]Perhaps they messed him up when they stopped the simulcast.[/quote]

I think that has merit. It was probably a tougher adjustment than most realize. He was probably told he didn't have to follow the puck as much or talk as much. I think doing the radio side you really have to focus constantly on the puck and providing that description of where it is, who's on the ice, etc...

Couple that with the loss of his longtime sidekick Tallon and he isn't the same guy he once was. Age factors in a bit, but also the moving pieces of partners...Tallon/Billy Gardner/Eddie O'/Konroyd. He's had to adjust his style to color guys that aren't what Dale once was as a partner. You get more analysis (some might say better) but you lose some of that camaraderie that made Foley/Tallon funny.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="ericthered"]

I think that has merit. It was probably a tougher adjustment than most realize. He was probably told he didn't have to follow the puck as much or talk as much. I think doing the radio side you really have to focus constantly on the puck and providing that description of where it is, who's on the ice, etc...

Couple that with the loss of his longtime sidekick Tallon and he isn't the same guy he once was. Age factors in a bit, but also the moving pieces of partners...Tallon/Billy Gardner/Eddie O'/Konroyd. He's had to adjust his style to color guys that aren't what Dale once was as a partner. You get more analysis (some might say better) but you lose some of that camaraderie that made Foley/Tallon funny.[/quote]

And damn were they funny at times. I loved when they used to go on a roll against the refs after a bad call.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Tater"]And damn were they funny at times. I loved when they used to go on a roll against the refs after a bad call.[/quote]

And now, just the opposite because Edzo is afraid that he may ruin his chances with his national gigs. It is exactly why it should be one or the other for him and us.

FlaHawkFan

Liked Posts:
[quote name="klemmer"]Pat Foley does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Ernie Harwell by any stretch of the imagination.[/quote]

Well, in one sense he's a lot like Ernie Harwell. We lived in the Detroit area during the end of Ernie's reign there and by that time, he was mispronouncing the hell out of names and misidentifying players quite a bit. So in that sense Pat and Ernie can be mentioned in the same sentence. Or paragraph. Or whatever. Thing is, Ernie was quite a bit older then than Pat is now and hell, he was Ernie Harwell so I found it sort of endearing.

I don't know why I don't feel the same way about Pat. I think it's because I see him as thinking he DOES belong in the same sentence as Harwell -- he seems to think he's a mythical god deservedly returned to Olympus after being banished, and he doesn't need to work as hard or as well as he once did. I think he's basking in the adoration and generally mailing it in. And that's what pisses me off about the guy. I used to love hearing Pat call games and I think he still has it in him to be excellent, but it seems to me that he doesn't feel he needs to be as good, or to work as hard, as he once did (lack of simulcast notwithstanding). Ernie Harwell never stopped working hard, even though he was slipping with age. And that's where the comparison fails, IMO.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="FlaHawkFan"]
[quote name="klemmer"]Pat Foley does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Ernie Harwell by any stretch of the imagination.[/quote]

Well, in one sense he's a lot like Ernie Harwell. We lived in the Detroit area during the end of Ernie's reign there and by that time, he was mispronouncing the hell out of names and misidentifying players quite a bit. So in that sense Pat and Ernie can be mentioned in the same sentence. Or paragraph. Or whatever. Thing is, Ernie was quite a bit older then than Pat is now and hell, he was Ernie Harwell so I found it sort of endearing.

I don't know why I don't feel the same way about Pat. I think it's because I see him as thinking he DOES belong in the same sentence as Harwell -- he seems to think he's a mythical god deservedly returned to Olympus after being banished, and he doesn't need to work as hard or as well as he once did. I think he's basking in the adoration and generally mailing it in. And that's what pisses me off about the guy. I used to love hearing Pat call games and I think he still has it in him to be excellent, but it seems to me that he doesn't feel he needs to be as good, or to work as hard, as he once did (lack of simulcast notwithstanding). Ernie Harwell never stopped working hard, even though he was slipping with age. And that's where the comparison fails, IMO.[/quote]

Wonderfully said, FLA. You really hit the nail on the head!