For those still lamenting Matt Forte's release

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
What's wrong with donating to the community that you tend to troll on 24 hours a day?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What's wrong with donating to the community that you tend to troll on 24 hours a day?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

You tell me, you're the one without a "donator" tag. Fool.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Forte has more yards from scrimmage than anyone in the NFL since he was drafted, was pretty much always available, and with ~3 more years of his average production is a borderline hall of fame football player. He's the best skill position player the Bears have had since Walter Payton and has been a consummate professional in the way he's handled himself, which is why he's outplayed more athletically gifted players throughout his career.

I never complained about letting him go because I understand that this is not going to be a good football team for a while and he was wasted in this offense. I like Jordan Howard's potential but the fact is this offense lacks talent outside of the WR position. There's no point in lamenting Forte's release, or Marshall's release, or Bennett's. The team isn't going anywhere until they start afresh at the most important position and build from there.

Not this shit again

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Boasting? No one is boasting, just reporting the facts.

The irony is people are pissed at Jeffrey but giving Forte a pass under virtually the same circumstances...

Well, when Jeffery sets a single season NFL record, then I won't worry so much. There is a canyon in terms of contribution to the Bears, between Jeffery and Forte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not this shit again

Forte is less than 1400 rushing yards away from the HOF. Ones he hits the 10k mark, he'll make it. Not on his first ballot, but he will get the Jacket and Bust.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Forte is at 12,718 yards from scrimmage in 120 games, or roughly 106 ypg.

If he has another 42 games of average production (14 per year for 3 more years), he would end up with over 17,000 yards.

I'm not a football history stat nerd like some of you, so I genuinely don't know this (and don't care enough to research it), but are most backs with that kind of production in the HOF or not? Now that he's no longer a Bear I don't particularly care so much, but it seems to me he's on a similar track as plenty of guys who are or could/should eventually be - Curtis Martin, Marcus Allen, Tomlinson type career production.

Edit: ok I did look a little. not sure who is and isn't in the hall, but of the three people I mentioned -

Martin - 17,430 in 11 seasons (1,584 per)
Allen - 17,654 in 16 seasons (1,103 per)
Tomlinson - 18,456 in 11 season (1,678 per)

Forte - 12,718 in 8 seasons (1,590 per)

So 3 more seasons at avg production puts him well into that group (yes we've heard countless times before how all of these players with similar numbers to Forte are all supposedly better than him, but the numbers are the numbers).

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
At this point, pretty much every back with 17,000 yards from scrimmage is in the HOF...the only one who isn't is Tomlinson, and he's a lock. The problem is that the RBs who fulfill this stat criteria are also the greatest RBs of all-time...Payton, Sanders, Emmitt, LT, Faulk. Curtis Martin and Marcus Allen are the borderline guys, but Allen had a huge TD total (144 vs. Forte's 64).

A tier below those guys are RBs like Tiki Barber, Edge James, Warrick Dunn with 15,000 yards from scrimmage. Forte is currently 49th on the list, so he still has a ways to go to get into the 17,000 club. Another problem for Forte is that idiots like Frank Gore and Steven Jackson might beat Forte to the 17,000 mark, which would water down the achievement, IMO.

Yeah there are a lot of variables I guess. It looks like the closest is Curtis Martin, so maybe he'll end up similarly borderline.

Anyway, to the original point, Jeremy Langford ain't going to be mentioned in the same paragraph as any of these guys, ever.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, when Jeffery sets a single season NFL record, then I won't worry so much. There is a canyon in terms of contribution to the Bears, between Jeffery and Forte.

For sure.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
At this point, pretty much every back with 17,000 yards from scrimmage is in the HOF...the only one who isn't is Tomlinson, and he's a lock. The problem is that the RBs who fulfill this stat criteria are also the greatest RBs of all-time...Payton, Sanders, Emmitt, LT, Faulk. Curtis Martin and Marcus Allen are the borderline guys, but Allen had a huge TD total (144 vs. Forte's 64).

A tier below those guys are RBs like Tiki Barber, Edge James, Warrick Dunn with 15,000 yards from scrimmage. Forte is currently 49th on the list, so he still has a ways to go to get into the 17,000 club. Another problem for Forte is that idiots like Frank Gore and Steven Jackson might beat Forte to the 17,000 mark, which would water down the achievement, IMO.
This.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not a football history stat nerd like some of you, so I genuinely don't know this (and don't care enough to research it), but are most backs with that kind of production in the HOF or not? Now that he's no longer a Bear I don't particularly care so much, but it seems to me he's on a similar track as plenty of guys who are or could/should eventually be - Curtis Martin, Marcus Allen, Tomlinson type career production.

Edit: ok I did look a little. not sure who is and isn't in the hall, but of the three people I mentioned -

Martin - 17,430 in 11 seasons (1,584 per)
Allen - 17,654 in 16 seasons (1,103 per)
Tomlinson - 18,456 in 11 season (1,678 per)

Forte - 12,718 in 8 seasons (1,590 per)

So 3 more seasons at avg production puts him well into that group (yes we've heard countless times before how all of these players with similar numbers to Forte are all supposedly better than him, but the numbers are the numbers).

Forte hasn't been as productive as those guys though. Yards are yards, yes, but Allen has huge TD totals(144). So does Tomlinson(162), and so does Martin(100).

Martin's five biggest TD years(67 total)surpass Forte's entire career total(64). You trying to paint Forte as being as productive as those guys just isn't true.

Forte has yet to lead the league in any major rushing category. All those guys did. Hell, Martin lead the NFL in rushing at age 31.

Even the "weak link" of the Martin, LT, Allen combo (Martin) made five Pro Bowls and an All Pro team. He was also ROY.

Allen won ROY, Super Bowl MVP, and NFL MVP and made six Pro Bowls and two All Pro teams.

LT: Five Pro Bowls(shocked this number isn't higher actually) 3x AP along with an MVP award.

Forte has only made two pro bowls and zero all pro teams.

Forte has been a darn fine NFL RB for his career but there's just no "pop" on his resume. He's a compiler so far without the payoff.

I find it funny that now that he's not on the Bears you don't care as much because I said the same thing two years ago on this subject. Had Forte had his career production with most any other NFL team no one here would even really be thinking about him for the HOF.

To expand further, if I was offered a guy like Shaun Alexander(won't make the HOF) and was told I could have his five year stretch (01-05) or Forte's Bears career..I'd take Alexander pretty easily.

I guess Forte to me is kind of Tiki Barber-ish(production wise) but even if Tiki ever made the hall(highly doubtful) He's made more PB's, more AP teams and lead the league in total yards from scrimmage twice.

I just can't envision Forte making the HOF via the normal ballot.

Last edited: