Former Broncos GM says Bears finally are doing right by Jay Cutler

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Former Broncos GM says Bears finally are doing right by Jay Cutler

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

It was time for the Denver Broncos to find the next John Elway, their next franchise quarterback. Several seasons of varied success with Brian Griese, Jake Plummer and others left them yearning for more.

The year was 2006.

Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler were the top three college quarterbacks. And although the Broncos were coming off an AFC Championship Game appearance with Plummer, their brass thought it was time to secure the next face of the franchise.

A three-way trade had moved the Broncos from 29th in the draft to 15th, and they decided they wanted to move up even more to snare a quarterback. It was a foregone conclusion the Tennessee Titans would take Young with the third pick, but the Broncos were content with Leinart or Cutler. They just had to get one of them.

After Leinart went 10th to the Arizona Cardinals, the Broncos swung a trade with the St. Louis Rams to move up to 11th. They took Cutler.

‘‘I personally was a Jay Cutler guy,’’ former Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist said. ‘‘I liked his mobility. I liked his strength. I liked his ability to make plays off-schedule. I liked his presence in the pocket. I liked the fact that he was at Vanderbilt, which is an academic school. He was a smart guy.

‘‘I saw a guy with the tools that in our system, surrounded by guys like [then-head coach] Mike Shanahan and [then-assistant head coach] Mike Heimerdinger, would develop and grow and be the type that we were looking for.’’

It didn’t pan out.

Cutler’s career has taken plenty of turns since he was drafted. He has become a lightning rod for critics and even has been labeled a ‘‘coach killer’’ by some. And now he’s entering the most important season of his career. He has to win over new Bears coach Marc Trestman in a contract year.

How did it come to this?

Sundquist said the Broncos first ‘‘went astray’’ after deviating from their initial plan of sitting Cutler for his rookie season and putting him in for Plummer. Sundquist said Heimerdinger, who had rejoined Shanahan’s staff that season, ‘‘had a different opinion of what he wanted at the position.’’

In March 2008, Sundquist was fired as the Broncos’ GM. Despite a Pro Bowl season by Cutler, Shanahan and Heimerdinger were fired after the 2008 season. Josh McDaniels was named the Broncos’ new coach, an irreparable rift was created with Cutler after some trade talks and the franchise quarterback-to-be was traded to the Bears on April 2, 2009.

Three offensive coordinators and a head coach later in Chicago, there is still discussion about whether Cutler, 30, finally can be that franchise quarterback.

‘‘I know what’s happened in Chicago,’’ said Sundquist, who now runs the website TheFootballEducator.com. ‘‘I know it’s frustrating because you’ve got a tremendous talent there that should be producing at the level of the upper-echelon guys. And for various reasons, he hasn’t been able to do that. Some of [the reasons are] his, and some of them, he hasn’t had the weapons at times, he hasn’t had the protection at times.’’

Sundquist said he still believes in Cutler. He said those who incessantly criticize him for his demeanor simply don’t know him. He sees a player with untapped potential who hasn’t been helped.

‘‘If you look around at the great teams, all those factors come together to create an Aaron Rodgers, a Tom Brady or a Drew Brees,’’ Sundquist said. ‘‘You’ve got to have somebody over on the left side. You’ve got to have targets for him to throw to. If you leave out an ingredient, it can ripple and affect your quarterback.’’

Sound familiar?

All Bears GM Phil Emery has done since taking over is equip Cutler. He added receiver Brandon Marshall, fired coach Lovie Smith, hired Trestman and offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer and signed left tackle Jermon Bushrod and tight end Martellus Bennett.

‘‘It just didn’t seem like under Lovie that the emphasis was there to get [Cutler] the things that he needed to succeed,’’ Sundquist said. ‘‘And that’s just me and that may not be fair. Maybe they were trying to do everything they could. But at least this year, from the outside looking in, [Cutler] is the focal point.

‘‘From that perspective, I applaud the Bears because I think that’s what you have to do.’’

Sundquist said Cutler is the type of player ‘‘who needs a steady influence and a steady hand — a firm hand but also an understanding hand.’’ The hope is Trestman can be that.

Former MVP quarterback Rich Gannon described Trestman as part-disciplinarian, part-friend. He listens to his quarterbacks but demands a lot in return.

‘‘I always thought he saw the game through the eyes of the quarterback,’’ said Gannon, who worked with Trestman with the Raiders and Vikings. ‘‘He knows what buttons to push.’’

And they have to be pushed now.

‘‘Make-or-break year? Yeah, probably,’’ Sundquist said. ‘‘When [Emery] sits back at the end of the season and says, ‘Do I extend him? Is this the direction that we’re going to go for another couple of years?’ it will have a lot to do with how this particular formula of players and coaches ends up producing this year.’’

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...rs-finally-are-doing-right-by-jay-cutler.html

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
‘‘It just didn’t seem like under Lovie that the emphasis was there to get [Cutler] the things that he needed to succeed,’’ Sundquist said. ‘‘And that’s just me and that may not be fair. Maybe they were trying to do everything they could. But at least this year, from the outside looking in, [Cutler] is the focal point.

NOPE. The GM's job. B/c it was the GM that acquired him in the first place. But once again Ange"loof" skates without any focus on him.

What....a....joke.....

BEARS

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol...

Well, whatever people think about Cutler aside...

In retrospect it does seem bizarre how far down the list stocking the offense and equipping the QB seemed to be under JA and Lovie. Like Ole always points to from when he hung out with Dez, it seemed like the whole offensive unit was neglected and held to different standards than the D.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I thought about posting this earlier and then thought "why bother" lol

Nick80

NOPE. The GM's job. B/c it was the GM that acquired him in the first place. But once again Ange"loof" skates without any focus on him.

What....a....joke.....

BEARS

Well at least you took a different angle on it, your own agenda mind you, but different angle.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
well I don't think they fired Angelo to be nice. I wouldn't have taken it as a compliment

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
lol...

Well, whatever people think about Cutler aside...

In retrospect it does seem bizarre how far down the list stocking the offense and equipping the QB seemed to be under JA and Lovie. Like Ole always points to from when he hung out with Dez, it seemed like the whole offensive unit was neglected and held to different standards than the D.

Yeah it was clearly neglected and that's one reason why I'm glad we moved on from Lovie. I am happy to see an offense oriented staff in Chicago for once.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
well I don't think they fired Angelo to be nice. I wouldn't have taken it as a compliment

Of course. But my point is that it was Angelo who spent 2 1st round picks, another pick, and a player to get Cutler. It was HIS JOB to make Cutler had all the tools that to make sure he was successful. To say that Lovie didn't put an emphasis on making Cutler had everything he needed to be successful is disingenuous. Lovie didn't break the bank to acquire him, Angelo did...

I guess ex-GMs have to stick together...

BEARS

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah it was clearly neglected and that's one reason why I'm glad we moved on from Lovie. I am happy to see an offense oriented staff in Chicago for once.

If you think back to bonehead plays from both Rex and Cutler... and I'm not talking about just bad pics, but dumb fumbles, bad reads, poor footwork, bad mechanics... And also think back to the terrible WR play we have seen for years and years... drops, bad routes, getting stonewalled at the LOS - just overall crap play...

Think of all that poor play and imagine those players were on defense... its hard to imagine Lovie would have tolerated it. And I am not suggesting he woulda just cut everyone. But he damn well would have corrected the problems be it through coaching, personnel changes, scheme changes, or whatever else it woulda taken.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

What....a....joke.....

BEARS

Where does he blame it on Lovie and not Angelo?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Similar to those who cry "what jobs do all Jay's former OCs have now", I'd like to say "what job does Ted Sundquist have now?"

This article would make sense if Cutler was going into like his 3rd or 4th season, not his 9th. I LOL'd at the "Despite a Pro Bowl season by Cutler, Shanahan and Heimerdinger were fired after the 2008 season" comment, as if Cutler's complete collapse in 2008 played no part in the dismissal of Shanahan and his staff.

forests and trees or something

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Of course. But my point is that it was Angelo who spent 2 1st round picks, another pick, and a player to get Cutler. It was HIS JOB to make Cutler had all the tools that to make sure he was successful. To say that Lovie didn't put an emphasis on making Cutler had everything he needed to be successful is disingenuous. Lovie didn't break the bank to acquire him, Angelo did...

I guess ex-GMs have to stick together...

BEARS

Acquiring talent was ultimately JAs job, very true. However, we all know Lovie had plenty of input in our drafts and FA acquisitions.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Where does he blame it on Lovie and not Angelo?

It SPECIFICALLY mentions Lovie and not Angelo. Are you serious?

‘It just didn’t seem like under Lovie that the emphasis was there to get [Cutler] the things that he needed to succeed,’’ Sundquist said. ‘‘

BEARS

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
If you think back to bonehead plays from both Rex and Cutler... and I'm not talking about just bad pics, but dumb fumbles, bad reads, poor footwork, bad mechanics... And also think back to the terrible WR play we have seen for years and years... drops, bad routes, getting stonewalled at the LOS - just overall crap play...

Think of all that poor play and imagine those players were on defense... its hard to imagine Lovie would have tolerated it. And I am not suggesting he woulda just cut everyone. But he damn well would have corrected the problems be it through coaching, personnel changes, scheme changes, or whatever else it woulda taken.

Sorry man, not buying it. The coaching staff on the offense sucked and that was Lovie Smith. If what you say is true we wouldn't have had that POS WR coach Darryl Drake so many years. He was absolute garbage.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It SPECIFICALLY mentions Lovie and not Angelo. Are you serious?

‘It just didn’t seem like under Lovie that the emphasis was there to get [Cutler] the things that he needed to succeed,’’ Sundquist said. ‘‘

BEARS

But he's not placing the blame on Lovie. He's saying that it happened while Lovie was the coach. That's not placing blame.

Sid.Luckman

Drunk
Donator
Liked Posts:
I continue to hold out hope that Cutler can turn into a top tier QB. As has been stated many times, he has all the athletic tools. However, he has not always had the tools on the field for success. I am not looking for him to become Aaron Rogers this season but with a proven NFL LT (not a world beater but a good one) and a vastly improved O-line (since it did not take much to improve the god awful line that the Bears put on the field last year), a few options at WR (and no Devin Hester as a WR bullshit), two solid RB, a tight end that can catch the ball when it hits him in the face, and an offensive minded head coach, I do expect to see him improve. If he does not improve this season I am sure I will begin to doubt his ability to be a franchise QB and I would expect the Bears to start looking for one in next years draft.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
Pretty good thread so far. I think the G.M. has a valid point. One has to build around a qb with most all ingredients. A good WR instead of KR/PR. A real TE instead of an enigma. An actual LT instead of a free run at a QB. An actual OC instead of Potatohead Tice. Not excuses, just the reality of our situation on offense. After this year,then the excuses will fly.

In before the :troll: x 5

Go offense!!! Please finish in the top 20 :beer: