Former Broncos GM says Bears finally are doing right by Jay Cutler

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Angelo was a total incompetent and Lovie did not do enough to try and correct it.

Lovie is to blame for the terrible OC choices. Martz was a blunder followed by Mike Tice good lord.

For 3 years the Bears sent Cutler into war with a potato gun as weapons and a back catchers gear for protection and a moron or psychopath as a General.

This is the season we all get to judge Cutler.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Angelo or Lovie, % blame is irrelevant. The Bears organization fucked up the offense. Now we need Trestman to take Emery's pieces and make it all work. Also hope the new emphasis on offense doesn't cause the organization to ignore and fuck up the defense.

Jay will have a very good to great season, and I'm really glad I won't have to root against Jay and the Bears because of the stupid shit I posted here.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lovie is to blame for the shit staff he brought along and kept and Angelo is to blame for only drafting two good offensive players; Forte and Knox. Both had zero clue what to do on offense

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I continue to hold out hope that Cutler can turn into a top tier QB. As has been stated many times, he has all the athletic tools. However, he has not always had the tools on the field for success. I am not looking for him to become Aaron Rogers this season but with a proven NFL LT (not a world beater but a good one) and a vastly improved O-line (since it did not take much to improve the god awful line that the Bears put on the field last year), a few options at WR (and no Devin Hester as a WR bullshit), two solid RB, a tight end that can catch the ball when it hits him in the face, and an offensive minded head coach, I do expect to see him improve. If he does not improve this season I am sure I will begin to doubt his ability to be a franchise QB and I would expect the Bears to start looking for one in next years draft.

Don`t bet your Super Bowl tickets on it.

nikander

Liked Posts:
Bears have made a number of mistakes with Cutler, and that's not surprising when you look at their history. With Cutler they were basically in a new territory, confused and not really knowing what to do. They did trade for him but were unwilling to change, so they went and did things like they didi in the past.That was they're first major mistake. When you give so much for a quarterback, he needs to be the focus of team and organization. That wasn't the case with Bears. Linebacker was still called the franchise player, offense was still treated like a disease and running game was still the way to win becouse... well, that's the Bears way. Last but not least, focus in passing game wasn't on making plays but not making mistakes. When they asked Urlacher how does he see Bears chances this year, what did he say? At one point he started talking about offense and said that they need to limit mistakes. Why is this important? Becouse that is the whole Lovie Smith mantra: play great defense, couse turnovers, run the ball and limit mistakes in the passing game. Sadly that was the Bears mantra also for a long time and the result was they constant mediocrity. It's impossible for a quarterback to thrive in that kind of conservative environment so they needed change, and change was made. I'm not sure that Bears fans really recognize the significance of the changes made, but they are huge and will change this organization forever. Even if it doesn't work out with Cutler the way they planned it, mistakes made in this case will not be done again becouse they'll be more ready next time. With Cutler they waren't ready at all. Bottom line is, when you sign, or draft or trade for a quarterback who is a major talent he must be the single most important player and everything should be done for him to thrive. He is the franchise player, he is the offense and focus should be to make plays and not to play scared by not making mistakes. With Cutler that wasn't the case. They gave him nothing on the offensive line, there were no playmakers and they changed coordinators just for the sake of it, without a plan. Every player has his weeknesses and good sides, and so does Cutler. You need to analyze it honestly, and then put him in a situation to succeed by puting him in a type of offense that suits him best. That woud be the one that masks his deficiencies and puts on display his strong attributes the best. Now, just take a look what they've done with Cutler. He went from one offense to another with no real plan. The man hired wasn't someone who was necessary the best one for Jay, but someone wiho didn't pose a treat for Lovie or who was just there, the last man standing. Thankfully that's not the case anymore, and this year marks the first time in decades that this team is truly centered around a quarterback. Even if Cutler completely bombs, trade was still worth it becouse the changes made would never be made by the menagment if they didn't believe that Cutler is a special player. He maybe isn't but that is not the important thing here.

Thank you for reading, if in fact someone reads this and sorry for mistakes in grammar, I'm not a native speaker.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I think it should be noted that the Bears under Lovie usually won with defense and the running game, so there was some logic to that train of thought. To the Bears, adding Cutler was like adding the cherry to the top of the sundae. Cutler's inability to improve upon Grossman/Orton's performance and his penchant for making mistakes kind of wreaked havoc with that line of thinking.

It should also be noted that the Offensive Line started to deteriorate late 2007 and 2008 and was already falling apart when Cutler got here, which would put a real hinderance on that running and defense formula. It should also be noted that Lovie didn't have nearly the success he enjoyed after 2007, when the line was falling apart.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It should also be noted that the Offensive Line started to deteriorate late 2007 and 2008 and was already falling apart when Cutler got here, which would put a real hinderance on that running and defense formula. It should also be noted that Lovie didn't have nearly the success he enjoyed after 2007, when the line was falling apart.

The one two punch RB combo from Benson and Jones was gone as Well

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
When cutler came aboard, JA assumed cutler would make everyone around him better like a brady, peyton, brees etc...what he did not notice was that all those teams had good protection and/or talent at the wr position. It was JA's philosophy that 5 bottom feeders could make a good oline as long as they gelled together and so that was the oline for the most part until JA heard whispers about his job security and then drafted carimi which would answer all the bears problems apparently.

Cutler is not the type that can elevate those around him to another level, he is a good qb that can be even better if given the tools to succeed and emery is finally giving him more options and actual protection. It may be too late for cutler to break all his bad habits he's built up over the years, lets hope trestman can really break through to cutler.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

I thought the O-line pretty much sucked all of 2007, they get a little reprieve in 2008 due to Forte; and Orton playing not to lose.

I think JA was under the impression he could sign free agents to solidify the line, like he did before.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I thought the O-line pretty much sucked all of 2007, they get a little reprieve in 2008 due to Forte; and Orton playing not to lose.

I think JA was under the impression he could sign free agents to solidify the line, like he did before.

I actually agree - was showing a little kindness and leeway.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

and shop in the "pre-injured" bargain bin in Filene's basement for the draft

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

The Williams/Beekman's World combo

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
When cutler came aboard, JA assumed cutler would make everyone around him better like a brady, peyton, brees etc...what he did not notice was that all those teams had good protection and/or talent at the wr position.

Thank you. Not only that, I believe he publicly stated as much(I am trying to find it). So he believed he didn't have to do anything else b/c it would all take care of itself. THAT is why it's on Angelo.....

BEARS

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

And if that doesn't work just grab a OL guru who the other team has zero problem letting go

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Thank you. Not only that, I believe he publicly stated as much(I am trying to find it). So he believed he didn't have to do anything else b/c it would all take care of itself. THAT is why it's on Angelo.....

BEARS

100% agreed here. What kind of idiot trades for a quarterback with elite talent and then gives him no weapons and no protection?

Contrast that with Emery, who right away got Cutler a weapon in Marshall as one of the first orders of business.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
100% agreed here. What kind of idiot trades for a quarterback with elite talent and then gives him no weapons and no protection?

Contrast that with Emery, who right away got Cutler a weapon in Marshall as one of the first orders of business.

That's why I am happy to see Emery and Trestman, at least there are signs of hope that the offense won't be completely neglected.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
‘‘It just didn’t seem like under Lovie that the emphasis was there to get [Cutler] the things that he needed to succeed,’’ Sundquist said. ‘‘And that’s just me and that may not be fair. Maybe they were trying to do everything they could. But at least this year, from the outside looking in, [Cutler] is the focal point.

NOPE. The GM's job. B/c it was the GM that acquired him in the first place. But once again Ange"loof" skates without any focus on him.

What....a....joke.....

BEARS

When your head coach has the power to hire and fire your coordinators and those coordinators ask for dumb stuff like Roy Williams and tells you that the Oline will develop and is not a huge need, alot of that is on the head coach. Of course all are at fault but Lovie had enough power to right the ship and ask for more personal on O......if he knew how.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
jury's still way out for me on emery and trestman.

tumblr_m2rmcnOb2j1qe2rrbo1_500.gif