Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There's plenty of impractical savants that can't get out of their own way.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There's plenty of impractical savants that can't get out of their own way.

Good call. Martz couldn't get out of his way by realizing Hanie was an absolute turd.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Olsen trade had more to do with the OC the Bears brought in than anything else. I don't think it was O taking a backseat to the D I think it was getting rid of a player that Martz didn't really use in the offense.

Well, from both JA's and Olsen's comments, it was a money issue where JA was foreseeing that Olsen would not we worth his FA value to the Bears. Which I guess is basically the same thing you are saying.

But from a big picture perspective I think it still illustrates the continual incompetence on O. As HC, Lovie has the ultimate responsibility for integrating the playmakers they do have. If you look at D Manning and how Lovie bent over backwards moving him around, trying to find a way to integrate him... I just think its clear there was a disconnect between the O and D.

And imo, in retrospect, its bizarre how the two units were held to such different standards - all the way from OC down.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dude.....jay was part of the reason Martz got LET GO. In the end........ quote Martz wasn't the right fit for jay UN-qoute. Remember? The one common thread with jay IS coaches get fired. Check the history.

They should use the fan-boys new found love for Martz in every Geometry class taught in our schools from this day forward, talk about BS angles, and coming full circle.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Jay's mechanics regressed a bit last year. I hated to see it but it seemed like he was just winging it in general. There's no doubt that he needs a strong mentor.

jay needs to work harder at his craft.....like a Brady, a P. Manning or a McNabb when he played.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Perhaps if Jay had Orlando Pace in his prime at LT giving him the extra time to throw to the outstanding Rams WR's he could have run the Martz offense. But he had neither things.

with or without Pace...Warner was smart eniugh to make quick-decisions with fb and get it outta' his hand. jay holds the ball to long and can't anticipates what his wr's are doing. A lotta' times, it looks as though jay doesn't even practice with these guys.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lmao, youre a dumb ass. In a 7 step drop, you hold the ball until the 7th step. Which is all the time in Martz's O. Warner got creamed all the time too, even with Pace.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yep and while Jays mechanics were slightly worse last year, so was his line. Rotating Gs makes stepping into throws more a wish than a routine. I'll be real curious to see how long Jay holds the ball this year as well. He will hold it longer than optimum at times but the stats are also biased by the required long drops in much of the paycalling and waiting for Marshall over the last 3 years.

StrongerThanAll

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
with or without Pace...Warner was smart eniugh to make quick-decisions with fb and get it outta' his hand. jay holds the ball to long and can't anticipates what his wr's are doing. A lotta' times, it looks as though jay doesn't even practice with these guys.

Martz-led offenses in recent OC jobs
Team Sacks (rank) Yds/gm (rank)
2010 Bears 18 (32nd) 289.2 (25th)
2008 49ers 55 (32nd) 311.1 (23rd)
2007 Lions 54 (30th) 322.9 (19th)
2006 Lions 63 (31st) 309.3 (22nd)

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I bet you Trestman will lose his mind if Cutler has problems holding the ball too long this year.

But hopefully Trestman will be able to draw plays and coach WRs to where the reads will actually be fuckin open too.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
psh, I know.. 12 sacks his last year as a Bronco. He held the damn ball wayyy too long.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jay ran Martz's plays because even if he didn't agree, he at least respected the knowledge. Martz didn't listen to anybody (Jay, Tice or Lovie) so the relationship suffered. Jays no dummy and needs that involvement. Jay also doesn't suffer fools so Tice was a fail from the start. I thought he was smarter than he showed but obviously not. Trestman is his 1st coach since Shanny that has both his respect and that has Jay's ear as well. It may work out great. There's no question that Jay doesn't play well with others at times but there's also no question that he can play. There is a question of if somebody can find the formula to make it gel. That has been Tretman's MO with a varied batch of QBs.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
If Cutler didn't get injured and that joke of a backup didn't fuck everything up, we'd be singing a different tune with Martz. I firmly believe that offense was finally clicking with Martz in the wings during the 2nd season of being in Martzs system. I know it's crazy to some on here that it takes a few years to build inside an offensive system. I mean Rodgers, Brees, Brady and all other successful qbs all had 4 ocs in 5 years right? Again, if Jay was the real problem I'm sire Tice, Turner and Martz would've been picked up for their mastery of schemeing; but alas! They weren't. I mean, Mike Mccarthys offense was laughable in SF and I was cracking up when they hired him as OC looking at his credentials. Well, jokes on me.
So obviously, those offensive masterminds(sides Martz, I liked him) have yet to be an offensive coordinator again.. Must mean, what? Oh! They weren't qualified for those poisitions in the league. Point being, people need to lay off the Jay hate. I'm still pissed myself Martz got fired, I think he should've been given another year.. It wasn't his fault Angelo AND Lovie both wanted Hanie as the #2.

Now I do know some of you were whining and claiming that Hanie would take over Cutlers position as the #1 quarterback after Jay went down, how does that feel? Obviously the team completely fell apart without Jay. Does that make make any sense other than that Cutler is good? Without him Bears suck? If damn Hanie wasn't our #2, man he sucked soo bad.I always liked Mccown and firmly believe he would've held down the fort if he was given the reigns as #2. So damn glad Lovie is gone, he was a joke as head coach. People can still liked him and I get it.. But he's awful with offense. It's embaressing having him as head coach when all he does is build the defense and did nothing for the offense. It was goofy and weird