Fox: MLS > NHL?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree that it is getting closer and the shifting demographics in this country are one of many factors leading to the increase interest in the MLS. However, it does seem like a lot of the statistics are being cherry picked to make the case for the growing popularity of soccer. Comparing the opening game of the MLS season on ESPN to NHL games on Versus isn't exactly comparing apples to apples since ESPN is on any basic cable package but Versus is not. Also comparing average attendance between a league with 16 team in a 30 game season to 30 team league with an 82 game season isn't exactly the same thing.

So while soccer is becoming more popular in this country and I think will continue to do so. I think it is going to be a while before it inches above the NHL in this country.

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't care what the numbers say, the MLS will never be seen as a top 4 sport.

Most of it has to do with the quality of the players. The other 4 major leagues all have the worlds elite talent... MLS never will.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Talent level doesn't really matter to me, it is the best in the country, and attendance is what I look at when determining major league status. What I consider major are sports leagues that average over 10K per game.
That means NFL (68K), MLB (30K), CFL (27K), NBA (17K), NHL (17K), MLS (16K), UFL (16K), NLL (10K, sometimes 9K, so I usually exclude).

However, I don't think MLS is higher than NHL just yet.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Talent level doesn't really matter to me, it is the best in the country, and attendance is what I look at when determining major league status. What I consider major are sports leagues that average over 10K per game.
That means NFL (68K), MLB (30K), CFL (27K), NBA (17K), NHL (17K), MLS (16K), UFL (16K), NLL (10K, sometimes 9K, so I usually exclude).

I think your figures there show how you can't just use attendance to compare the popularity of leagues. The CFL averages more fans than the NBA, but does anyone think that it is more popular than the NBA?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I think your figures there show how you can't just use attendance to compare the popularity of leagues. The CFL averages more fans than the NBA, but does anyone think that it is more popular than the NBA?

Yes, Canadians do.

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Attendance is flawed. No way the NBA and NHL can compete with the MLS for attendance numbers. Most NBA and NHL arenas max out at 22k or so. MLS teams can play games in NFL like stadiums with 3 times as many seats.

That doesn't match up. Replacing the Atlanta Thrashers and their horrible attendance with a sold out Winnipeg crowd and the attendance numbers of the NHL might surpass the NBA. If that happens will the MLS be considered a better league then the NBA? I don't think so.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Attendance is flawed. No way the NBA and NHL can compete with the MLS for attendance numbers. Most NBA and NHL arenas max out at 22k or so. MLS teams can play games in NFL like stadiums with 3 times as many seats.

That doesn't match up. Replacing the Atlanta Thrashers and their horrible attendance with a sold out Winnipeg crowd and the attendance numbers of the NHL might surpass the NBA. If that happens will the MLS be considered a better league then the NBA? I don't think so.

You mean NHL, not MLS, right?

And I know it is flawed, but I also feel that it does warrant some form of recognition as the 5th major league, and I feel the same way for the CFL.

And only 2 MLS teams still play in NFL stadiums.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
NBA popularity is on a considerable rise...the lockout has nothing to do with nba revenue problems....dont get the idea that the lockout means the nba is in bad condition..because it isnt(i know none of you mentioned that but just saying)

and of course the attendance thing is definitely dependent on the stadium capacity

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The average MLS stadium capacity is 21K, and that number is going down as more teams move to soccer-specific stadiums. The average NHL stadium capacity is 18K. So it isn't a huge difference, but the NHL has a higher rate of selling out.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The average MLS stadium capacity is 21K, and that number is going down as more teams move to soccer-specific stadiums. The average NHL stadium capacity is 18K. So it isn't a huge difference, but the NHL has a higher rate of selling out.

good point..same with the nba

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Another thing is, in my mind, there is Major and there is Minor.

The American Hockey League averages 5K/game. The International League and Pacific Coast League average 6K/game. I have no D-League figures. I have no North American Soccer League figures. There is no established minor league system in American Football, as I do not consider unaffiliated (without affiliation to a major league) or amateur (NCAA players are not paid) leagues, which would include the NCAA.

Those are the AAA, or highest-level, minor leagues... and the MLS is way above those, so it can't be minor either.

Still not above the NHL yet though.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:

People actually want MLS teams in their cities, i was watching a Gold Cup game being held in Tampa Bay, and there were a lot of signs, saying Tampa Wants an MLS team, so yes it is growing.

I don't care what the numbers say, the MLS will never be seen as a top 4 sport.

Most of it has to do with the quality of the players. The other 4 major leagues all have the worlds elite talent... MLS never will.

Im gonna have to agree with this. I watch very little MLS, maybe if a player i like is playing ill catch em, but those games are far in between, maybe the Final, and Id watch more if the Fire werent so bad this year. Id much rather watch a La Liga, or EPL.

But the sports is growing.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Ya, not the highest quality... but not terrible either. Real Salt Lake is one of the Top 25 in the world for sure, and possibly even Top 10 (ESPN had them at 10th back in April).

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ya, not the highest quality... but not terrible either. Real Salt Lake is one of the Top 25 in the world for sure, and possibly even Top 10 (ESPN had them at 10th back in April).

IDK about that, Monterrey beat Real Salt Lake in the CONCACAF Champions League this last tournament.

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is a movement to get an MLS team to Indy. People want to clean/fix up the old Bush Stadium (Indianapolis Indians old home AAA baseball) and turn that into the stadium. It would be perfect because the Kuntz soccer training center is right across the street and is regarded as one of the top soccer facilities in the US.

Rumor also has it that Mark Cuban is somewhat interested, and I slightly believe it since he is an IU grad. But Bush would need a ton of work.... it is used as a car graveyard right now.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
if you really wanna gauge MLS teams, they need to compete and win against the Caribbean Leagues, and Central American Leagues in a tournament like what Copa Libertadores does, its the Champions League version of south and central america, very high quality soccer, no mexican team has ever won it, and is dominated by Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay clubs. How good is the MLS compared to which other soccer league? Mexico is the only league in North.Central America Id put in front of the MLS. I dont realisticly see any games between europe and mls teams ever meaning anything, schedules are the opposite, start/end, so MLS has to dominate North and Central America to be taken seriously.

Last edited:

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
NHL has already been overtaken by NASCAR. NHL had better worry about MLS and UFC getting bigger in their rearview mirror.

If you are just going by attendance, Nascar beats everyone.