Fox: MLS > NHL?

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With the giant rise in latino people in america, of course MLS is going to become more popular. That is the only game they care about.

That said, soccer sucks, so I could care less if it was destroying the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL all put together, I still wouldn't watch it.

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
nascar isnt a sport..

nice try:troll:

I am not going to come in here and defend Nascar, that is for a different thread.

I am just using Nascar as an example of why attendance is flawed.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
NHL has already been overtaken by NASCAR. NHL had better worry about MLS and UFC getting bigger in their rearview mirror.

True, but I put most of my focus into leagues where more of the focus is on the team than on the player and teams are named after cities.

If NASCAR was made so the winners was Hendrick Motorsports, rather than Johnson, and Hendrick took a city name like Chicago and had a home field like Chicagoland Motor Sppedway, I'd have more interest in it for sure.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
True, but I put most of my focus into leagues where more of the focus is on the team than on the player and teams are named after cities.

If NASCAR was made so the winners was Hendrick Motorsports, rather than Johnson, and Hendrick took a city name like Chicago and had a home field like Chicagoland Motor Sppedway, I'd have more interest in it for sure.

Exactly NASCAR is an individual sport and to compare it to the team sports is very difficult. NASCAR events draw more ratings and attendance, but there is only one NASCAR race at a given time. As opposed to the NHL, NBA, or MLB where there are 10+ games going on any given night during the season.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

:yep:

That's the consensus.

And even in MLS does pass NHL, it still won't be recognized for a while after that.

I feel that in the professional interdependent team sports US it goes:
NFL
MLB
NBA
NHL
MLS
CFL
UFL
NLL
Minor league crap

Pre

Liked Posts:
I don't care what the numbers say, the MLS will never be seen as a top 4 sport.

Most of it has to do with the quality of the players. The other 4 major leagues all have the worlds elite talent... MLS never will.

I disagree. The quality of play in MLS has continually grown since the league's inception and shows no signs of slowing down as national interest in the sport grows and more kids - especially those from multi-ethnic backgrounds - are funneled through MLS academies.

With the level of athletic talent available in this country, MLS will one day be a high-quality international league. It won't be on the level of the EPL, but it will be good.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I disagree. The quality of play in MLS has continually grown since the league's inception and shows no signs of slowing down as national interest in the sport grows and more kids - especially those from multi-ethnic backgrounds - are funneled through MLS academies.

With the level of athletic talent available in this country, MLS will one day be a high-quality international league. It won't be on the level of the EPL, but it will be good.

My thoughts exactly!

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats

No way..

If your talking about the rise in talent being these Henry and Beckham signings you are way off...

Both came to MLS on the downside of their careers.

Look at the US roster...alot of them play in the MLS, and look how poorly they played in the gold cup (a tournament they should have cake walked into the finals)

Take a top tier US team to England and pit them against Wolves, Wigan, Blackpool, etc, id still put money on the english teams..

MLS needs major talented players IN THEIR PRIME to come over before they will be CLOSE to elite talent as in other leagues

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
projections say in 30 years half this country will be latino...soccer will be football, football will be basketball, basketball will be baseball, baseball will be hockey, and hockey. will. still. be. awesome.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah i think those athletes are playing football, basketball, baseball first, you have to grow up in that soccer culture to pursue it as a profession, like be foreign.

No way..

If your talking about the rise in talent being these Henry and Beckham signings you are way off...

Both came to MLS on the downside of their careers.

Look at the US roster...alot of them play in the MLS, and look how poorly they played in the gold cup (a tournament they should have cake walked into the finals)

Take a top tier US team to England and pit them against Wolves, Wigan, Blackpool, etc, id still put money on the english teams..

MLS needs major talented players IN THEIR PRIME to come over before they will be CLOSE to elite talent as in other leagues
This^

projections say in 30 years half this country will be latino...soccer will be football, football will be basketball, basketball will be baseball, baseball will be hockey, and hockey. will. still. be. awesome.

This is how i see it. Most MLS teams have the best central american players, but thats central America, Mexico still pwns them in soccer and their league is very popular, it seems that the Mexican players that do come to the MLS are on the downside of their careers. At first i could never get into the MLS cuz for a while all i saw was college kids bein drafted to these teams and the play was so bad, imo.They had a lot of stamina to run up and down the field, but no creative flare to score, and the game would end up as a 0-0 tie.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
Having said that the quality of MLS play is up from when i was a kid by a wide margin.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Having said that the quality of MLS play is up from when i was a kid by a wide margin.

And it will continue to progress in a similar fashion. :D

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
both sports are far far behind MLB NBA NFL

Hockey is way ahead of MLS IMO

and MLS has no chance to ever be popular here IMO the product sucks here and the American fans don't like soccer in general.

If i want to watch soccer i watch premier league or a few other leagues not the trash that is MLS

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
both sports are far behind MLB NBA NFL

and MLS has no chance to ever be popular here IMO the product sucks here and the American fans don't like it.

If i want to watch soccer i watch premier league or a few other leagues not the trash that is MLS

MLS isn't exactly trash either... their are more countries worse than us than there are countries better than us. And RSL is one of the Top 25 teams in the world without a doubt.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
cubbies4ever

and MLS has no chance to ever be popular here IMO the product sucks here and the American fans don't like soccer in general.
white americans rise is up and young hispanic fans are down for this all over the country, its the only team they know, when i was in california my cousins were totally Earthquakes fans, so they ll follow it growing up.

FTW

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
MLS isn't exactly trash either... their are more countries worse than us than there are countries better than us. And RSL is one of the Top 25 teams in the world without a doubt.

that might be stretching it.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:

Ya country's like Ireland but America should have a better soccer league than them.

No MLS team is top 25 in the world that is crazy talk.

Manchester City would kill them and they weren't even that good last year. They can pay to get the best players. The MLS is like the D-league in the NBA no offense. Great players don't go to MLS unless they get overpaid. I mean even Donavon wanted to leave MLS to go play in a much better league