1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Ya country's like Ireland but America should have a better soccer league than them.

No MLS team is top 25 in the world that is crazy talk.

Manchester City would kill them and they weren't even that good last year. They can pay to get the best players. The MLS is like the D-league in the NBA no offense. Great players don't go to MLS unless they get overpaid. I mean even Donavon wanted to leave MLS to go play in a much better league

ESPN even had them at #10 in the world earlier this year... but all of the rankings I follow have them in the top 25.... even though I disagree with Top 10.

And I doubt that Manchester City would kill RSL. It would be a close game to say the least.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
The phrase MLS > NHL literally means the MLS is better than the NHL.

I guess it depends on what you mean by the word "better." If you want to talk about attendance, that just talks about which league is more popular, which doesn't always mean it's better. And as many have pointed, the increases in Latino population in our country is only going to raise the popularity of soccer in the US. Just look at the US/Mexico game at the Rose Bowl ... it was a pro-Mexico crowd, even on US soil.

But the word "better," to me, would have to discuss the level of play on the field, and I don't think it's close at all. Just look at the 2010 Olympics for hockey and the 2010 World Cup.

The 2010 Olympics concluded with a gold medal game between the US and Canada. It featured the best players in the world. EVERY ONE of those players is on an NHL roster.

The 2010 World Cup also featured the best players in the world. Spain beat the Netherlands for the win. How many of those players are in the MLS?

If "better" is the word you're using, NHL >>>>>>> MLS

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The phrase MLS > NHL literally means the MLS is better than the NHL.

I guess it depends on what you mean by the word "better." If you want to talk about attendance, that just talks about which league is more popular, which doesn't always mean it's better. And as many have pointed, the increases in Latino population in our country is only going to raise the popularity of soccer in the US. Just look at the US/Mexico game at the Rose Bowl ... it was a pro-Mexico crowd, even on US soil.

But the word "better," to me, would have to discuss the level of play on the field, and I don't think it's close at all. Just look at the 2010 Olympics for hockey and the 2010 World Cup.

The 2010 Olympics concluded with a gold medal game between the US and Canada. It featured the best players in the world. EVERY ONE of those players is on an NHL roster.

The 2010 World Cup also featured the best players in the world. Spain beat the Netherlands for the win. How many of those players are in the MLS?

If "better" is the word you're using, NHL >>>>>>> MLS

The report said that the MLS was close to overtaking the NHL as the 4th most popular sports league in America. Didn't mean better.

And I'm just posting the reports. ;)

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
The report said that the MLS was close to overtaking the NHL as the 4th most popular sports league in America. Didn't mean better.

And I'm just posting the reports. ;)

Ahhhh gotcha.

Well, I'd be interested to see what happens after this winter. With the NBA missing at least part, if not all, of its season due to a lockout, I'll bet a lot of people will turn to the NHL just to get a sports fix.

There could be a two month stretch where the NHL is the only sport on TV.

ESPN must be terrified.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Ahhhh gotcha.

Well, I'd be interested to see what happens after this winter. With the NBA missing at least part, if not all, of its season due to a lockout, I'll bet a lot of people will turn to the NHL just to get a sports fix.

There could be a two month stretch where the NHL is the only sport on TV.

ESPN must be terrified.

One of my favorite things the NHL did when they came back from the lockout was tell ESPN to fuck off when they wanted the NHL back

Pre

Liked Posts:
No way..

If your talking about the rise in talent being these Henry and Beckham signings you are way off...

Both came to MLS on the downside of their careers.

When I talk about improving the quality of play, I am not talking about signing aging veterans like Beckham and Henry. While such signings are good in the short term for the visibility of the league, it's going to take a lot more to truly improve the quality of play in MLS.

What I'm talking about is more American kids and foreign kids who immigrate here with their parents choosing to play soccer and getting the coaching they need to succeed and then turning them into professionals.

Part of it is player development. The development infrastructure here is pretty lousy, but it's getting better through trial and error. Europe is much better at player development simply because they've been doing it for so long. We're America - if we put our minds to it, it'll happen.

Another part is immigration. Legal or otherwise, we're experiencing an immense influx of Latin immigrants. This is naturally going to improve the number of Americans playing the sport. Like people from the rest of the world, Hispanics are very passionate about soccer and, even though professional opportunities are limited here, their children will naturally drift more toward playing soccer than American sports.

Another - and perhaps the biggest - part is money. We have more soccer-playing youth than any other nation in the world. Why is it that they don't stick with the sport as they age? It's because, until recently, there hasn't been a professional future for amateur soccer players in America. Most kids are going to play sports like football, baseball, and basketball - sports that are going to make them rich. As MLS grows and there is a greater financial incentive to play soccer professionally, more kids will stick with the sport.

And as the player development improves and these kids are funneled through the academies of their regional MLS teams, the quality of the league will grow. As the quality of the league grows, fan support and interest from average Americans will improve and more money will be generated as they attend matches and buy merchandise. As that happens, television networks will bid more money to secure contracts to show MLS matches, increasing the wealth of the league and how much they can pay players. As that increases, more foreign players will be willing to come play in MLS during their prime years and not after they're burnt out.

It's a complex issue with more factors than I can cover here, but I think it's obvious to anyone who is honest with themselves that the future is bright for Major League Soccer.

Look at the US roster...alot of them play in the MLS, and look how poorly they played in the gold cup (a tournament they should have cake walked into the finals)

Take a top tier US team to England and pit them against Wolves, Wigan, Blackpool, etc, id still put money on the english teams..

More and more USMNT players are hopping the pond and signing contracts with European clubs. If you want to talk about the Gold Cup roster, there was actually at least one match where the starting XI comprised entirely European-based players.

Let's take a look at what I feel would be our starting lineup assuming everyone's health:

---------------Altidore---------------
Dempsey-------Holden--------Donovan
----------Jones-------Bradley--------
Lichaj------Boca------Goodson------Dolo
---------------Howard---------------

Striker:

Jozy Altidore - Owned by Villarreal of La Liga, last seen playing on loan for Bursaspor of the Turkish first division.

Midfielders:

Clint Dempsey - Plays for Fulham of the EPL.
Stuart Holden - Plays for Bolton Wanderers of the EPL.
Landon Donovan - Captains LA Galaxy of MLS.
Jermaine Jones - Owned by Schalke 04 of the Bundesliga, last seen playing on loan for Blackburn Rovers of the EPL.
Micheal Bradley - Owned by Borussia Mönchengladbach of the Bundesliga, last seen playing on loan for Aston Villa of the EPL.

Defenders:

Eric Lichaj - Owned by Aston Villa of the EPL, last seen playing on loan for Leeds United of the Football League Championship.
Carlos Bocanegra - Plays for Saint-Étienne of Ligue 1.
Clarence Goodson - Plays for Brøndby of the Danish Superliga.
Steve Cherundolo - Captains Hannover 96 of the Bundesliga.

Keeper:

Tim Howard - Plays for Everton of the EPL.

There is a significant drop off after these eleven players, and that lack of depth is a huge reason why the United States has yet to take the next step in becoming an international powerhouse. But compare the current club situation of our players compared to twenty years ago and there's a night-and-day difference. MLS has been an effective development league for American players possessing the talent to go to Europe. Prior the formation of MLS, the USMNT consisted of college kids and a few players who managed to sign on with lower-level clubs in Europe. Now every starter save for one plays in Europe (several in a Top Four league), and if Everton had the money Donovan would be a Toffee. We've yet to make a real inroads with the world's elite clubs, but the progress we have made is immense.

And a lot of the most exciting players in U.S. Soccer's youth system are signing Generation Adidas contracts and playing in MLS, improving the league and getting those players valuable minutes needed for developing into players capable of starring on the international stage for the United States. Others are skipping MLS entirely and signing with European clubs.

I believe we're capable of being a consistent threat to make a deep run in the World Cup. The pieces are coming into place. It's only a matter of time.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
When I talk about improving the quality of play, I am not talking about signing aging veterans like Beckham and Henry. While such signings are good in the short term for the visibility of the league, it's going to take a lot more to truly improve the quality of play in MLS.

What I'm talking about is more American kids and foreign kids who immigrate here with their parents choosing to play soccer and getting the coaching they need to succeed and then turning them into professionals.

Part of it is player development. The development infrastructure here is pretty lousy, but it's getting better through trial and error. Europe is much better at player development simply because they've been doing it for so long. We're America - if we put our minds to it, it'll happen.

Another part is immigration. Legal or otherwise, we're experiencing an immense influx of Latin immigrants. This is naturally going to improve the number of Americans playing the sport. Like people from the rest of the world, Hispanics are very passionate about soccer and, even though professional opportunities are limited here, their children will naturally drift more toward playing soccer than American sports.

Another - and perhaps the biggest - part is money. We have more soccer-playing youth than any other nation in the world. Why is it that they don't stick with the sport as they age? It's because, until recently, there hasn't been a professional future for amateur soccer players in America. Most kids are going to play sports like football, baseball, and basketball - sports that are going to make them rich. As MLS grows and there is a greater financial incentive to play soccer professionally, more kids will stick with the sport.

And as the player development improves and these kids are funneled through the academies of their regional MLS teams, the quality of the league will grow. As the quality of the league grows, fan support and interest from average Americans will improve and more money will be generated as they attend matches and buy merchandise. As that happens, television networks will bid more money to secure contracts to show MLS matches, increasing the wealth of the league and how much they can pay players. As that increases, more foreign players will be willing to come play in MLS during their prime years and not after they're burnt out.

It's a complex issue with more factors than I can cover here, but I think it's obvious to anyone who is honest with themselves that the future is bright for Major League Soccer.

More and more USMNT players are hopping the pond and signing contracts with European clubs. If you want to talk about the Gold Cup roster, there was actually at least one match where the starting XI comprised entirely European-based players.

Let's take a look at what I feel would be our starting lineup assuming everyone's health:

Striker:

Jozy Altidore - Owned by Villarreal of La Liga, last seen playing on loan for Bursaspor of the Turkish first division.

Midfielders:

Jermaine Jones - Owned by Schalke 04 of the Bundesliga, last seen playing on loan for Blackburn Rovers of the EPL.
Micheal Bradley - Owned by Borussia Mönchengladbach of the Bundesliga, last seen playing on loan for Aston Villa of the EPL.

Defenders:

Eric Lichaj - Owned by Aston Villa of the EPL, last seen playing on loan for Leeds United of the Football League Championship.

Keeper:

There is a significant drop off after these eleven players, and that lack of depth is a huge reason why the United States has yet to take the next step in becoming an international powerhouse. But compare the current club situation of our players compared to twenty years ago and there's a night-and-day difference. MLS has been an effective development league for American players possessing the talent to go to Europe. Prior the formation of MLS, the USMNT consisted of college kids and a few players who managed to sign on with lower-level clubs in Europe. Now every starter save for one plays in Europe (several in a Top Four league), and if Everton had the money Donovan would be a Toffee. We've yet to make a real inroads with the world's elite clubs, but the progress we have made is immense.

And a lot of the most exciting players in U.S. Soccer's youth system are signing Generation Adidas contracts and playing in MLS, improving the league and getting those players valuable minutes needed for developing into players capable of starring on the international stage for the United States. Others are skipping MLS entirely and signing with European clubs.

I believe we're capable of being a consistent threat to make a deep run in the World Cup. The pieces are coming into place. It's only a matter of time.

:clap::clap::clap:

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats

The way foreign leagues get better IMO is by importing foreign talent...LaLiga has Messi, Forlan, Ronaldo, etc
EPL has Chicharito, Nasri, Arshavin, Vidic

The problem with the US continuing to upgrade their talent internally is that major world clubs will see this talent as well, and their club prestige/wealth of money will pry players away anyway...

Look at the US roster...Howard/Dempsey were drawn by the prestige of the EPL...why play for Kansas City when you can go play in one of the best leagues in the world?

Increased talent in US Players= increased interest of foreign clubs

And again, why play in the MLS, when they can go play for their original homeland in leagues which are more popular and more supported?

This is where the US can improve the MLS...more financial incentive should be put to use by buying younger talent from around the world, not beckhams and Henry's, but youthful stars who will put butts in seats...People will pay to see players who have been mentioned on ESPN, not some no name kid who played soccer at Notre Dame and is making a debut...

Exactly...thats what the MLS needs

Striker:

Midfielders:

Defenders:

Keeper:

While they may be on those teams...how many of those players actually make SIGNIFICANT contributions to their teams? Dempsey and Howard are really the only 2 IMO

Ok, maybe I came off wrong with my comment...

I definately agree that the MLS is improving, and will continue to improve, but if it really wants to jump to a major sport in the US, they need to do what I stated above IMO (buy young foreigners)

And those are the ones we need to keep here in the US...the ones with talent to play overseas are the valuable ones..

While the ones that stay here are valuable, there is a reason they arent signing in Europe...

Luckily, CONCACAF is weak, so it isnt hard to make the world cup, and its basically like the Stanley Cup playoffs...once you get in, anyone can win