Free Agency news

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I don't think these players view a perennial cellar dweller as a premier destination. Also, is Chicago that desirable to a lot of these southern guys ie. AJ? I know we are all excited about the possibilities of Nagys new offense and how good Mitch could become, but I'm not sure that the ufa's do.

Bears were cellar dwellars because they didn’t have a QB (especially one that players liked) and didn’t have a defense. The Bears now have a QB guys rally behind and a top 10 defense. It’s a different situation.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Blake Bortles (wrist) expects to be fully healthy for OTAs.

Bortles had wrist surgery last month, but he’s already resumed throwing. He should have close to a normal offseason and be ready for OTAs in April. The Jaguars created $9 million in cap space from giving Bortles a three-year extension. He’ll continue to be on the spot in 2018.

Source: ESPN

Its pretty much a lock that robinson will be tagged at the very least.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think these players view a perennial cellar dweller as a premier destination. Also, is Chicago that desirable to a lot of these southern guys ie. AJ? I know we are all excited about the possibilities of Nagys new offense and how good Mitch could become, but I'm not sure that the ufa's do.

Who offers a better situation and cash?

SF, but they have a slot guy making peanuts.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My position on Landry is that I will be happy if we get him. I think what he lacks as a WR is made up for by his durability, consistency, and production. I think with a young QB having someone he can lean on is key.

But adding the trade element into things complicates matters greatly.

-If the Bears trade a premium pick [1st or 2nd] and then have to hand out a huge contract I am not going to be thrilled. I do not think a 1st will ever be in the conversation. Obviously, Nagy would have gotten up on the table to make that happen, but in my world that is way too many resources tied up in one player.

-If the Bears trade a 3rd round, or that level of value, it will be not a great value in my book, but I would not be pissed off about it. I think that is about what he is worth even with the contract that you have to sign him.

-I think that if you can get his rights or a day 3 pick, or a small package of day 3 picks that it is a good deal for the Bears.

1. You do not have to compete with other teams, which guarantees his services and gives you a stronger bargaining position.
2. You can easily recoup those picks moving down from 39 like the Bears have had the last 2 years.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who offers a better situation and cash?

SF, but they have a slot guy making peanuts.

Baltimore will outbid us in trade capital, but I don’t think they have the money it takes to get Landry to sign the tender.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Baltimore will outbid us in trade capital, but I don’t think they have the money it takes to get Landry to sign the tender.

They really do not.

They also have Joe Flacco playing QB and Marty Morningwig calling plays. I am not 100% that it is a better situation for a WR to go to.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My position on Landry is that I will be happy if we get him. I think what he lacks as a WR is made up for by his durability, consistency, and production. I think with a young QB having someone he can lean on is key.

But adding the trade element into things complicates matters greatly.

-If the Bears trade a premium pick [1st or 2nd] and then have to hand out a huge contract I am not going to be thrilled. I do not think a 1st will ever be in the conversation. Obviously, Nagy would have gotten up on the table to make that happen, but in my world that is way too many resources tied up in one player.

-If the Bears trade a 3rd round, or that level of value, it will be not a great value in my book, but I would not be pissed off about it. I think that is about what he is worth even with the contract that you have to sign him.

-I think that if you can get his rights or a day 3 pick, or a small package of day 3 picks that it is a good deal for the Bears.

1. You do not have to compete with other teams, which guarantees his services and gives you a stronger bargaining position.
2. You can easily recoup those picks moving down from 39 like the Bears have had the last 2 years.

The key here is imagine Landry as Trubisky’s RPO option at receiver. That could be deadly. KC called the most RPO’s in the NFL last year. KC put Tyreek Hill in motion on almost every single play, Miami did the same with Landry.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The key here is imagine Landry as Trubisky’s RPO option at receiver. That could be deadly. KC called the most RPO’s in the NFL last year. KC put Tyreek Hill in motion on almost every single play, Miami did the same with Landry.

I just like that he s going to run a sharp route and be where he needs to be, even if that is not 25 yards downfield.

Luke

Liked Posts:
trading away picks that you desperately need for the right to overpay a guy for 5/80 is the kind of move a team makes when they are a player or two away from winning it all, not when they are 10 players away.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bears found Jordan Howard, Eddie Jackson, Nick Kwiatkoski, Tarik Cohen, and Adrian Amos

Five starters in the 4th round or later. Do NOT trade them away Pace is on a roll.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Would still think its a longshot he lands in chi, as other teams can offer a 3rd rounder and there are better destinations for Landry to choose from.

I really hate the idea of trading picks for him, but if Watkins and Robinson become unavailable then 2018’s 6th & 2019 4th would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really hate the idea of trading picks for him, but if Watkins and Robinson become unavailable then 2018’s 6th & 2019 4th would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinson is definitely unavailable now that the Jaguars have aquired more cap space. It’s between Landry and Watkins now, hopefully.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
trading away picks that you desperately need for the right to overpay a guy for 5/80 is the kind of move a team makes when they are a player or two away from winning it all, not when they are 10 players away.

Exactly!

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
there is nothing in it for landry to help miami with this tag and trade scenario. hopefully he is not helping the dolphins and will undoubtedly force the dolphins to rescind the tag faster.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

1. 5/80 is not a real thing.

2. In this case it is the move of a team that has a 2nd round QB who needs support.

3. Depends on the pick. Landry is going to give you more week 1 than a 4th round WR guaranteed.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bears found Jordan Howard, Eddie Jackson, Nick Kwiatkoski, Tarik Cohen, and Adrian Amos

Five starters in the 4th round or later. Do NOT trade them away Pace is on a roll.

Amos and Howard were 5th round picks.

He also got Langford, Hall and Bush who all kind of suck.

Trubisky needs help yesterday, not in the time it takes to develop a 4th round WR.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Amos and Howard were 5th round picks.

He also got Langford, Hall and Bush who all kind of suck.

Trubisky needs help yesterday, not in the time it takes to develop a 4th round WR.

Langford and Bush sure I'll give you those but Hall flashed some talent and DBs don't develop fast. People seriously have no patience with DBs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Doesn't Landry first have to reach a deal with another team and then that team has to agree to trade compensation with the phins? Say the Bears are so desperate that they blow every teams offer out of the water and Landry agrees to a 5/85mil deal with the Bears. I believe it will have to be a near Glennon esque type overpayment for him to choose the Bears. Then the Bears offer one of their 4th rounders to Miami, how can Miami actually refuse? Of course knowing Pace, he will offer both 4th rounders and a pick next year but that's besides the point.

I believe a team can trade for him and just franchise him. Dont have to sign him long term.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hell, Bush might end up sticking around anyways as safety depth.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hell, Bush might end up sticking around anyways as safety depth.

Deiondre' Hall had potential but the arrest in Iowa and spending 2017 on IR makes me wonder if he will still have a spot with the Bears next year.