Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Wilkerson plays with, Sheldon Richardson, Leonard Williams and Damin Harrison

Watt plays with Clowney, Mercilus, and a pretty good DL.

All 3 guys play on dominant defendes.

thats true but the jets have no good outside pass rushers unless i'm forgetting something... they are a team that likes to blitz heavy and often
As for watt until this season when clowney got his first real taste of nfl football, coincidentally mercilus being labeled a bust till now had his best year opposite clowney.

After watching the superbowl, jackson was singled up more often than not, watch his superbowl play and you'll see the few moments he got pressure was being 1on1 with a guard or a stunt with ware/miller much like what the 49ers did with justin and aldon smith to get after newton. Ware deserves the credit for opening up opportunities for jackson. the guy is talented but i still have reservations on him especially at 12-14 mill.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sign some good free agents.

And then get to work developing those late round picks. But developing those guys takes TIME.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
i know what you mean (i dont know). I get the idea might be players/teams can make deal -- and then over 2-3 days try to find a better deal, and/or compare and think about the deal -- before they have to sign it. Does that sound about right to any experts?

I am not even remotely close to an expert... not even close to a novice in this.

However, it sounds like agents can beat the bushes for potential deals and talk to teams. then they can report back to the player.
The player can sift through the info, and line up some visits starting when the league allows it.

I see the value- extending it a bit gives the teams a better chance to talk to more players and FA might become more like a buffet rather than a feeding frenzy... over after 20 minutes on day 1.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Damon Harrison- elite run defender with no pass rush

Malik Jackson- very good run defender and very good pass rusher

Give me the guy who can do both. Although I would applaud both signings.

That is an obvious point however flip it around like this who does better against a double team at 5tech Malik Jackson or Eddie Goldman. I am pretty sure Eddie will do better because he is to a degree bigger a stronger at least that is what I believe at this point.

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss expects the Bears to pursue impending free agent DT Akiem Hicks.
Defensive tackle is an area of need for the Bears and Hicks knows GM Ryan Pace from their time together in New Orleans from 2012-14. The Patriots will do their best to keep Hicks, though he might be out of the team's price range. For what it's worth, coach Bill Belichick told Hicks to keep at least "something" in his locker when he was cleaning it out at the end of the season.
Related: Bears

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
FA Signings

Richie Incognito
Malek Jackson
Tahir Whitehead
Isa Abdul Qudus
Sterling Moore

I am not a capologist, and I have no idea what some of these people would command on the open market

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think this way in baseball because there is no cap. Football, I think differently.

It is literally impossible for the Bears to be in danger of cap hell by signing both of them. The Bears have more cap room next season and do not even need to extend along till 2018.

It really is whether they can land Jackson over Oakland or Jacksonville.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
FA Signings

Richie Incognito 3/18
Malek Jackson 5/62
Tahir Whitehead 5/20
Isa Abdul Qudus 4/16
Sterling Moore 3/9

I am not a capologist, and I have no idea what some of these people would command on the open market

You can easily afford that spend.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, but Royal saves no money and will cost you 5 million to cut.

Then keep him a year more, at least if things go tragic at WR again this year we have one more.

Updated
FA Signings

Richie Incognito
Malek Jackson
Tahir Whitehead
Isa Abdul Qudus
Sterling Moore
Jermaine Kerse

Thinking outside the box here. While Trevathan is a good player, I think he is over rated and benefitted greatly playing in the Denver D. One big name Free agent signing, tried to stay South of 28.

engbear

Liked Posts:
It is literally impossible for the Bears to be in danger of cap hell by signing both of them. The Bears have more cap room next season and do not even need to extend along till 2018.

What's your thoughts on locking up Long to a long contract earlier than needed.
Train of thought being with the cap seemingly rising every year and consequently contracts getting larger, would it not be cheaper in the end to sort it earlier rather than later ? Front load the deal whilst we have a lot of cap space making the contract cap and dead cap friendly as he got older. Just a thought.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What's your thoughts on locking up Long to a long contract earlier than needed.
Train of thought being with the cap seemingly rising every year and consequently contracts getting larger, would it not be cheaper in the end to sort it earlier rather than later ? Front load the deal whilst we have a lot of cap space making the contract cap and dead cap friendly as he got older. Just a thought.

You have the money.

I would do it next year and avoid the injury risk.

Sign him in 2017 and use the 6 million option year to reduce the entire contract. You will also have a better idea of how good he is at OT and can pay him more accurately.

engbear

Liked Posts:
Good point about seeing how he develops at tackle. Wasn't sure how the option year works for 1 st rounders.

Liked Posts:

I never said they would be in cap hell. I wasn't even really talking about the Jackson/Trevathan signings in general with that post. I was just pointing out that in baseball the "it's not my money" argument makes sense because teams can keep spending no matter what. In football (because of the cap), it's not that simple.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
My dream would be...malik jackson & damon harrison!

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I hope the Bears can pull it off. Jackson would be awesome next to McPhee.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss expects the Bears to pursue impending free agent DT Akiem Hicks.
Defensive tackle is an area of need for the Bears and Hicks knows GM Ryan Pace from their time together in New Orleans from 2012-14. The Patriots will do their best to keep Hicks, though he might be out of the team's price range. For what it's worth, coach Bill Belichick told Hicks to keep at least "something" in his locker when he was cleaning it out at the end of the season.
Related: Bears

It seems like every "rumor" about the Bears is just team need plus past connection to coach/gm=expected interest. They seem to be really be running a tight ship these days. Very curious to see which way they actually end up going.