I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I think this way in baseball because there is no cap. Football, I think differently.

I get there is a salary cap. thing is, if the bears like both the players even at the FA price tag they come with, then im all for them making it happen

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
If JJ Watt hit the market he would get 20 million a season.

If Wilkerson did he would get 17-18.

Suh got 18/year on the market. Jackson at 12 is a great deal compared to Suh.

my question on this would be how often was jackson 1on1 vs facing double teams etc...jackson was part of a great front 7 meaning he probably had a lot of 1on1 opportunities making him look even better. watt, suh and wilkerson regularly faced double teams and were still difference makers up front...can the same be said for jackson? Paying 12-14 mill i would like to know that he can beat double teams with regularity.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
i would personally rather sign Damon Harrison to 9-10 mil contract and kick Eddie Goldman outside. Harrison is elite at run stuffing while Malik Jackson is just very good..give me someone who is elite at something save couple million to spend elsewhere...Rather have Harrison and Travathan

I have been saying the same thing about Ian Williams. Adding a proven NFL NT with some pass rush chops then putting Eddie at 5tech is by far the best use of resources and money to improve the overall front 7 pass rush.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
my question on this would be how often was jackson 1on1 vs facing double teams etc...jackson was part of a great front 7 meaning he probably had a lot of 1on1 opportunities making him look even better. watt, suh and wilkerson regularly faced double teams and were still difference makers up front...can the same be said for jackson? Paying 12-14 mill i would like to know that he can beat double teams with regularity.

Wilkerson plays with, Sheldon Richardson, Leonard Williams and Damin Harrison

Watt plays with Clowney, Mercilus, and a pretty good DL.

All 3 guys play on dominant defendes.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Damon Harrison- elite run defender with no pass rush

Malik Jackson- very good run defender and very good pass rusher

Give me the guy who can do both. Although I would applaud both signings.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

That's why I'm intrigued by Ian Williams. He's going to be cheaper then either of those guys. He's a very good run defender and is fairly disruptive in the passing game as well. He didn't play on a defense loaded with talent, and Fangio knows him and vice versa.

I am not opposed to Jackson or Harrison. I'm not convinced Jackson is as good as he's being made out to be. I watched a lot of him this year, I see a very good player who is more the one who benefits from all the great players around him then the guy making others better. If the Bears want to pay him, that's fine. Ditto Harrison, who is a special player in run defense.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Some have said he was the most dominant player in the Superbowl, even more so than the MVP Von Miller

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Allows negotiations.

Before that teams use to negotiate 100 million deals at 12:01 and sign the guy at 12:03 it was a mockery of the tampering rule.

They also wanted to allow guys to visit teams over the weekend and early part of the week.

why wouldn't you be able to hold negotiations once FA officially starts? Since everyone can and will start negotiating 2 days earlier it's like it's just like someone here basically said, it's like Fa just starts 2 days earlier, but unofficially.... doesn't really make sense to me, but on the other hand, why care...? ;)
i know what you mean (i dont know). I get the idea might be players/teams can make deal -- and then over 2-3 days try to find a better deal, and/or compare and think about the deal -- before they have to sign it. Does that sound about right to any experts?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

If they got both, that would be nuts.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
If they got both that would be stupid. Take advantage of the depth of the DL this draft. One would be fine. Although, I would rather not spend on Jackson and would only want Harrison at 7-8 mil per year. Ian Williams or Akiem Hicks look to be the smarter and safer options, IMO.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
If they got both that would be stupid. Take advantage of the depth of the DL this draft. One would be fine. Although, I would rather not spend on Jackson and would only want Harrison at 7-8 mil per year. Ian Williams or Akiem Hicks look to be the smarter and safer options, IMO.

while that may be true, I say go for the homerun signing. it may or may not work out, but ill take the risk at a chance to land a difference maker along the DL. in the end if pace/fangio like him a lot I say sign Jackson at 12 - 15 mil per over signing a good but not great player for 6 mil per

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

We need more than one DL. You can take advantage of the draft AND free agency. I hope they do.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
We need more than one DL. You can take advantage of the draft AND free agency. I hope they do.

That would be my preference. Sign a DL and then draft one somewhere in the first 2 rounds.

while that may be true, I say go for the homerun signing. it may or may not work out, but ill take the risk at a chance to land a difference maker along the DL. in the end if pace/fangio like him a lot I say sign Jackson at 12 - 15 mil per over signing a good but not great player for 6 mil per

I'm not going to complain if they sign Jackson. We'd still need to draft another DL, but my preference would be to spread the resources out a bit more as opposed to blowing your stack on one guy. Especially Jackson. I think he's a really good player, but I think he's become a little overrated on here considering the money he's going to get.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
That would be my preference. Sign a DL and then draft one somewhere in the first 2 rounds.

I'm not going to complain if they sign Jackson. We'd still need to draft another DL, but my preference would be to spread the resources out a bit more as opposed to blowing your stack on one guy. Especially Jackson. I think he's a really good player, but I think he's become a little overrated on here considering the money he's going to get.

he will get overpaid no doubt. but that's what happens during FA, you overpay for guys. normally, I would agree with you about spreading out the resources, but this offseason is different than most IMO. bears have an unusually high amount of $$ to spend and an obvious need along the DL. the aprox. 14 mil he would cost isn't going to hurt our cap situation much in the near future. by the time his contract could potentially become an issue, itll probably be time to cut him or restructure the contract anyways :shrug:

Enasic

Liked Posts:
he will get overpaid no doubt. but that's what happens during FA, you overpay for guys. normally, I would agree with you about spreading out the resources, but this offseason is different than most IMO. bears have an unusually high amount of $$ to spend and an obvious need along the DL. the aprox. 14 mil he would cost isn't going to hurt our cap situation much in the near future. by the time his contract could potentially become an issue, itll probably be time to cut him or restructure the contract anyways :shrug:

Like I said, I'm not opposed. It just wouldn't be my first choice. After Jackson, we'd have enough for a Trevathan type signing and then would have to dumpster dive. The Bears have a lot of holes to fill. They can't all be filled in one off-season, but I think Pace is looking to fill more than two long term holes in free agency. It's going to be an interesting off-season.

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
13ba5290f52ab18802abcd11921e4a71a93bf80567e71fb6fd29d1753dc01e7c.jpg

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
As teams prepare to shell out millions of dollars on free agents, I think it's also worth pointing out that most of these guys were mid round draft picks or later. And a lot of them were developed by Fox or Fangio, as it turns out.

I know it's very easy to get enamored with free agency. And to justify paying guys a ton of money because of needs on the team, but-and I could be totally wrong-i have a feeling Pace is going to be very strategic and careful in free agency. And that there will be a lot of pissed off Bears fans when guys they want go somewhere else.

But that's the whole reason they hired Fox. His history of putting together top notch coaching staffs and developing players. I believe the Bears will be active in free agency, but probably not in the way most fans think or want them to be.