Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I know the Bears have a ton of cap space...I'd rather sign 2 guys for his price than him. Just cuz they have the cap space doesn't mean they should overpay or spend unwisely. Depends how much he is actually gonna get, but the reports are too high for me personally.

Its better to have one dominate player than 2 decent/good players

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jaguars and raiders will steal all the headlines early next week. Let's just hope they over spend and waste their money on players that don't fit the bear's needs.

I think the Bears have enough money to compete on any 1 free agent with them.

If the Bears do not want to be outbid on Jackson by the Raiders they can make that a reality.

Liked Posts:
Its better to have one dominate player than 2 decent/good players

I think he's an overpay is the point. Two of those players can be or already just as good. Again, if the Bears sign him I'm not gonna throw a hissy fit or anything. He's a good player that will help the defense. Just think the resources can be more effectively used to improve multiple positions.

Plus, there are other high profile guys I'd rather have if they choose to go that route.

Monster O

Liked Posts:
I would rather bears get quantity and 2nd tier quality. Raiders and Jaguars are landing at least two 1st tier free agents each. I would assume they go after offensive lineman.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I would love to see them get a top tier free agent like Malik Jackson and front load the shit out of the deal. The reason you do that is so in following years (when the Bears are hopefully serious contenders) his cap hit is manageable. Maybe that means we don't get to sign this years version of Antelle Rolle or Eddie Royal. So what? Get me a difference maker who'll be here for the next 5 years.

Oh, and cut Robbie Gould yesterday. Absolutely no reason to spend that type of money on a kicker when you're a rebuilding team. Pick one up with our 7th rounder and we'll be fine.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Malik Jackson isn't in J.J Watt or Muhammad Wilkerson territory. If somebody wants to pay him like one of those guys, let them have him.

Give me 2 other free agents for his 12-13 million a year asking price.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Malik Jackson isn't in J.J Watt or Muhammad Wilkerson territory. If somebody wants to pay him like one of those guys, let them have him.

Give me 2 other free agents for his 12-13 million a year asking price.

Why do people do this? JJ Watt isn't a free agent. He obviously would go for MUCH more than Jackson if he were. His deal was two years ago and the market was lower. So a guy who is a lessor talent two years later might very realistically make "JJ Watt" money due to rising salaries.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
Couldn't the Bears front load the contract for the first year? With so much cap space and to get a great player at a position of need is a no brainer.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Couldn't the Bears front load the contract for the first year? With so much cap space and to get a great player at a position of need is a no brainer.

On the flip side, front loading the contract would prevent them from signing as many players. With the lack of depth and skill on this team, I'm not sure that's a good idea. Of course, they could back load the other deals but that's hardly ever a good idea.

AussieBear

so it begins........

Kaufusi pick 11 = 2.3 mil year one..... roughly 12 mil over four years plus that 5th year option......

spend the money elsewhere during the rebuild... its not like jackson is the missing piece for a 16 SB run

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
so it begins........

Kaufusi pick 11 = 2.3 mil year one..... roughly 12 mil over four years plus that 5th year option......

spend the money elsewhere during the rebuild... its not like jackson is the missing piece for a 16 SB run

Kaufisi is a round 3 pick.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Bears are not getting to the Super Bowl with or with out Bennett. Bennett is not going to sign a long term deal with bears.
so it begins........

Not that I think one way or another about Jackson, but the "they aren't going to the Super Bowl next year" excuse gets way over used.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
yeah....sounds like a plan..

i bet you a permaban Bronson Kaufusi is drafted before rd 3 barring any freak accidents/injuries/pot smoking ventures etc before the draft

Wherever he is drafted, it won't be at #11.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
its not like jackson is the missing piece for a 16 SB run
What an awful point. So because Jackson won't help them win a ring in '16, you shouldn't go after him even if he can help in '17 or '18.

God damn do I now hope Kaufusi gets drafted in the fourth. Go away.

AussieBear

Not that I think one way or another about Jackson, but the "they aren't going to the Super Bowl next year" excuse gets way over used.

ive never used it.... but who knows its the nfl.. teams go from shitty to decent from year to year...

how about i dont think 12-14 mil is worth 5 sacks.... moreso i feel that money can be used to fill multiple needs the bears have.. if Jackson was that missing piece on a playoff ready team, id say go for it. Also, if they do pay the man..... im not losing any sleep over it.