dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Some stats in here that show just how impressive a season Fuller has had.

THIS IS SPORTMOCKERY, YOU DON'T LIKE THEN SIMPLY LEAVE.

https://t.co/CsvA6b7Eq9

Chicago Bears Franchise Tag May Actually Be Used in 2018
By Erik Lambert - Dec 25, 20172223
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter
chicago bears franchise tag
Following the extensions of left tackle Charles Leno Jr. and defensive end Akiem Hicks, it was felt the Chicago Bears franchise tag would likely go unused this 2018 off-season. GM Ryan Pace would be free to work his magic with a large but mostly medium important crop of in-house free agents-to-be when the season ends this January.

Of course there will be some important name prioritize. Prince Amukamara has proven himself to be a valuable asset at corner during his one-year deal. Wide receiver Cameron Meredith was shown to be far more vital to their passing offense by not playing than actually playing this year. Fellow receiver Kendall Wright will also need some attention. There’s also linebacker Christian Jones who may have earned himself a starting job.

However, none of those names have performed up to a standard that might require use of the tag, which automatically pays top five money based on their position. Over the past few weeks though, an unlikely candidate has emerged for just that. One that zero Bears fans would’ve ever considered when the season began.

Kyle Fuller has more than earned the Chicago Bears franchise tag
He may not end up going to the Pro Bowl, but former first round pick Kyle Fuller has been brilliant this season for the Bears defense. Considering he missed all of 2016 with a knee injury, it makes is resurgence all the more impressive. On Sunday against the Cleveland Browns he may have delivered the best overall game of his career too.

ChiBearsPR
@ChiBearsPR
The 6 passes defensed by @kbfuller17 today are the most by a Bears player since STATS, Inc. started tracking the stat in 1994. It's also the most by an NFL player this season. #DaBears

Zack Pearson
@Zack_Pearson
Kyle Fuller now at 65 tackles and 17 passes defended. Only player in #NFL with at least 65 tackles and 15 passes defended. #Bears

Through 15 games Fuller has 67 tackles, 22 passes defended and two interceptions. The amazing thing is he should probably have four more interceptions but hasn’t quite been able to haul them in. Regardless it’s easily the best season a Bears corner has had since the era of Charles Tillman was peaking in the previous decade.

Now the question becomes can Pace reach an agreement with him on a contract extension? No doubt people are afraid the Bears are facing another Alshon Jeffery situation. That the team will try to extend Fuller but he’ll resist in order to become a free agent, thus robbing them of another quality piece who can help their cause.

Tag will be in play if an extension becomes unlikely
Word is Fuller will be demanding a considerable raise, likely somewhere in the $10-12 million range. The Bears will have plenty of salary cap space to meet it. Problem is Pace is known for being a hard negotiator. He won’t overpay anybody. So it comes down to whether Fuller is wants to stay and is willing to deal.

Otherwise the franchise tag may have to be used. Current projections are that it would cost the Bears just over $15 million dollars for the 2018 season if they were do that for Fuller. While it’s hardly a crippling strategy given they could create upwards of $80 million in cap space, it nonetheless offers plenty of incentive for them to work out a more favorable long-term deal.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Fuller is worth $10-$12M imo. But you have to keep him motivated to keep up the high level of play.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Mike Glennon laughs hysterically at the Pace is a hard negotiator that won’t over pay for nobody comment.
He better pay market price. Otherwise he creates another hole to fill and goes home with a bunch of unspent salary cap. Serves zero purpose.
It does take two to tango, but if Fuller has any desire to continue on here and Pace effs another one up, he won’t be long for the league .... racking up year after year of L’s with crappy talent.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Spiegel and Parkins were talking about this a few weeks back and saying that his stats are inflated because teams are targeting him. They used the second Packers game as an example but there have been others.

If definitely be trying to get a deal done but I could see why they might not tag him. In a year where we have so much cap space though personally I'd do it.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Spiegel and Parkins were talking about this a few weeks back and saying that his stats are inflated because teams are targeting him. They used the second Packers game as an example but there have been others.

If definitely be trying to get a deal done but I could see why they might not tag him. In a year where we have so much cap space though personally I'd do it.
Ummmmm, that makes no sense. His stats are inflated?? The fact that he’s been targeted and producing works in favor of him being good, not against him.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is there a stat that takes into account per target? because I do think teams are targeting him for a reason

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
He’s also playing on the strong side, on the QB right side. Almost all QB feel more comfortable throwing to the right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Is there a stat that takes into account per target? because I do think teams are targeting him for a reason

Maybe we should be giving more credit to Amukamara then he's been getting. These teams watch all the tape so they know how well Fuller has been playing and yet they still target him much more then they target Prince.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I tag him.

There is no doubt your are over paying him, but you also really can’t afford to have more talent walk out the door. It sucks, but overplaying him by 4 million is better than playing marcus Cooper.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I tag him.

There is no doubt your are over paying him, but you also really can’t afford to have more talent walk out the door. It sucks, but overplaying him by 4 million is better than playing marcus Cooper.

Yep, I think you have to tag him unless you can sign him.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I tag him to see if he can replicate this season. I would rather give him an extra 3-5m this year. Rather than sign him long term, and he goes back to playing how he did before this year.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
This kid is one of the best out there if he can stay healthy. People just did not give him any slack on his injuries and he fought back and tried to go when he was probably 75%. People thought it was ok to pay Leno, should be ok to try to extend Fuller.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Since its very likely fangio will not be back how do you pay big money to fuller when its unknown how he will do with the next scheme/coach...Tagging him is really the only option at this point.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I tag him.

I heard the franchise tag for a CB will be around $15 mil so i could get behind seeing if he can carry what he's done this year over to one more year and go from there.

I'm not as done with M.Cooper as most are though. I think he would of been able to show more if he didn't get hurt and lose his job while hurt. He did have one really good game for us in the 4 he started, i think it was 4. When he came back to play he only got in for certain defensive plays when using 3 CB's so it's hard to get yourself adjusted when you're only playing minimal snaps. Maybe this is me becoming a big fan of him after seeing what he did with Arizona and after that letter he wrote to Bears fans but either way i wouldn't mind seeing him get another shot.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This kid is one of the best out there if he can stay healthy. People just did not give him any slack on his injuries and he fought back and tried to go when he was probably 75%. People thought it was ok to pay Leno, should be ok to try to extend Fuller.

Paying Leno like a mid tier LT was the right choice but if we sign Fuller it's gonna be right up there with the best CB's in the league.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Ummmmm, that makes no sense. His stats are inflated?? The fact that he’s been targeted and producing works in favor of him being good, not against him.

I don’t think you understand the CB position. The point is, he has more passes defended because of more opportunities. Teams don’t generally throw in the direction of the opponent’s best CB. Same reason the best CB’s often will not have the most INTs.