Future QB Talk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You've become gun shy with QBs because of Cutler, and now all you want are dink and dunk game managers. That's fine on an elite team in a rock solid system where the QB doesn't have to do much. The Bears need someone with a bit more pizzazz. Kizer is the guy I want, if they're going to take the QB in round 1. I still like Webb in round 2. I just think Jimmy is a bit limited.

I do not think it is a desire for dink and dunk.

I think it is a desire for the inconsistency and turnovers of the Cutler era to end. It doesn't matter how many big plays a QB generates if he is a turnover machine you are losing.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I do not think it is a desire for dink and dunk.

I think it is a desire for the inconsistency and turnovers of the Cutler era to end.

Yes, hence the

You've become gun shy with QBs because of Cutler

part.

I don't agree with shying away from big playmakers because of Cutler. Cutler is Cutler. It doesn't follow that every other QB with high physical ability will also process NFL level football slowly and have the same problems with pocket presence, reading defenses and decision making that Cutler does. I want a dynamic playmaker who can win big games in tough environments. To me, Kizer and Watson check these boxes more than Garoppolo.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, hence the

part.

I don't agree with shying away from big playmakers because of Cutler. Cutler is Cutler. It doesn't follow that every other QB with high physical ability will also process NFL level football slowly and have the same problems with pocket presence, reading defenses and decision making that Cutler does. I want a dynamic playmaker who can win big games in tough environments. To me, Kizer and Watson check these boxes more than Garoppolo.
Saw Alex Smith make plenty of big plays last night and in other games. Who cares who wants to throw the "game manager" label at ya? Just win. Matt Ryan was regarded in much the same way early on, now he's an MVP candidate. You think Jimmy's arm isn't good enough but you're wrong.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Saw Alex Smith make plenty of big plays last night and in other games. Who cares who wants to throw the "game manager" label at ya? Just win. Matt Ryan was regarded in much the same way early on, now he's an MVP candidate. You think Jimmy's arm isn't good enough but you're wrong.

I didn't say his arm wasn't good enough. I don't see him as the kind of dynamic playmaker who can do special things in big games in tough environments the way I can see Kizer and Watson being that type. Alex Smith plays on a team stacked with talent, and much like Lovie's Bears, they're another crazy good defense that falls short largely because they're limited at QB. I think Smith is an excellent comparison for Garoppolo. Both can function fine on really good teams and have winning regular seasons, but neither are the type of big time playmaker to push their team over the top.

Last edited:

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't say his arm wasn't good enough. I don't see him as the kind of dynamic playmaker who can do special things in big games in tough environments the way I can see Kizer and Watson being that type. Alex Smith plays on a team stacked with talent, and much like Lovie's Bears, they're another crazy good defense that falls short largely because they're limited at QB. I think Smith is an excellent comparison for Garoppolo. Both can function fine on really good teams and have winning regular seasons, but neither are the type of big time playmaker to push their team over the top.
Know who was a dynamic college football QB? Tebow.

Jimmy has the quick release, the escapability skills and can make any throw required. Jimmy the real deal.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Somebody highjacked Spartans account and is spamming CCS 24/7. Many sads

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Know who was a dynamic college football QB? Tebow.

Jimmy has the quick release, the escapability skills and can make any throw required. Jimmy the real deal.

Jimmy would be a fine starting QB, its just the fact that to get him we have to give up draft pick(s). This team has needs all over the place. I don't think the Bears have the luxury to just be trading away draft picks. I'd rather keep our picks and draft a QB coming out of college who has more potential even if they are a little raw.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jimmy would be a fine starting QB, its just the fact that to get him we have to give up draft pick(s). This team has needs all over the place. I don't think the Bears have the luxury to just be trading away draft picks. I'd rather keep our picks and draft a QB coming out of college who has more potential even if they are a little raw.
I've seen what the Bears do with most of their draft picks. They can afford to give them away.

Mitchapalooza

NFLTradeRumors.co ‏@nfltrade_rumors 2m2 minutes ago
Former Browns & Patriots Exec Mike Lombardi Expects CLE To Pursue Trade For Jimmy Garoppolo http://bit.ly/2h6bUIT #Browns #Patriots

this is huge! That'd guarantee the Browns picking Garrett

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
NFLTradeRumors.co ‏@nfltrade_rumors 2m2 minutes ago
Former Browns & Patriots Exec Mike Lombardi Expects CLE To Pursue Trade For Jimmy Garoppolo http://bit.ly/2h6bUIT #Browns #Patriots

this is huge! That'd guarantee the Browns picking Garrett

The real wild card in this whole deal is JAX. Hopefully we end up 3rd and don't have to work about them, but I'm thinking we draft 4 or 5. Does JAX give up on Bortles and draft a QB? Do they go with Fournette? Maybe take the best OT?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
The real wild card in this whole deal is JAX. Hopefully we end up 3rd and don't have to work about them, but I'm thinking we draft 4 or 5. Does JAX give up on Bortles and draft a QB? Do they go with Fournette? Maybe take the best OT?
Jacksonville should be in the market for a new QB, new HC, new owner, new fanbase. Bortles heading into the last year of his contract so, at the very least, they should be looking for a QB to seriously compete if not completely take over.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Jacksonville should be in the market for a new QB, new HC, new owner, new fanbase. Bortles heading into the last year of his contract so, at the very least, they should be looking for a QB to seriously compete if not completely take over.

It would make sense for them to go QB. They have been building up that D for a few years. I think they have a real shot at drafting Fournette though. They are set at WR and TE. They could probably use some OL help, but this draft isn't great for OTs.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:

I think Bortles get 1 more year and they take Fournette or Allen.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ian Wharton

Starting to dive deeper into Mitch Trubisky and Patrick Mahomes since we know Trubisky is all but in and I’ve hear Mahomes is very likely in

Would be great news for the Bears, the more QBs the better

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I think that Alex Smith is very under-rated. He is a very good quarterback and a winner. He also is a good runner when he needs to be and doesn't force the ball into too tight windows.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Ian Wharton

Would be great news for the Bears, the more QBs the better

Mahomes is so much fun to watch. Part of it is that he is allowed to do basically whatever he wants in the Texas Tech offense. But I think he has all the tools you look for in a QB. He has a really good arm. Maybe not so much to throw 60-yard bombs, but he has the velocity to throw it into any window. He has good pocket presence, great mobility, and he goes thru progressions. The problem is that he has 0 of the polish right now. Has the feel like he's just winging it out there at times, and playing some backyard football. Gets happy feet and unnecessarily throws without setting his feet, using just his strong arm. Complete wildcard to me. Kinda reminds me of a young Tony Romo. A guy that needs a lot of polish, but in the meantime, if you have to throw him out there can make things happen with his individual ability to escape pressure and make throws on the move.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
If the bears take a flyer on two QBs this year, I wouldn't be mad at all with Mahomes as the second choice.