Gabe Carimi 'light years from where he was'

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
A little LeCharles side story, when he was coming off a probowl season with the Saints and set to be a FA there was a lot of talk that he was all but an Eagle. At the last minute he decided to sign for comparible money and go to his home town in Cleveland to play with the Browns. In his first practice he tore his knee (patellar) up and contracted a staph infection while rehabbing at the team's facilities. When Bently first got hurt it was a particularly 'classless' day for Philly fans. They felt quite slighted because he choose the Browns over them and felt 'karma' was doing it's thing.

Overall LeCharles is a very classy guy. He tried multiple times to make a comeback and it always fell a bit short. I'm happy he's found a way to give back to the sport and help current athletes excell in their profession.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
A little LeCharles side story, when he was coming off a probowl season with the Saints and set to be a FA there was a lot of talk that he was all but an Eagle. At the last minute he decided to sign for comparible money and go to his home town in Cleveland to play with the Browns. In his first practice he tore his knee (patellar) up and contracted a staph infection while rehabbing at the team's facilities. When Bently first got hurt it was a particularly 'classless' day for Philly fans. They felt quite slighted because he choose the Browns over them and felt 'karma' was doing it's thing.

Overall LeCharles is a very classy guy. He tried multiple times to make a comeback and it always fell a bit short. I'm happy he's found a way to give back to the sport and help current athletes excell in their profession.

Isn't every day a classless day for Eagles fans? Present company excluded, of course.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well, its a relief at least to know that he isn't sulking down there and really is busting his ass to get back.

We'll see. But shit, imagine it works for him... Bears could actually have somewhat of a logjam on the OL.

Yep. If Gabe comes back and works out at RG or RT, our line is going to be in a good position. The left side is already solid, and if they're sold on Long at RG, then Carimi could either fight for the RT/swing tackle job, or be sound depth as a versatile backup who can play anywhere.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No he didn't. Though he has some God awful form & footwork, he still maintained almost all of his assignments & managed to allow three QB hurries over the course of a game and a half, no sacks. For a rookie that's not bad.

Some guys may not be pretty in how they do things, but at the end of the day it's what gets accomplished not how ya look doing it. Right now Webb seems to be the obvious favorite, but if Carimis knee is 100% I really would like to see him compete for the RT position. If Carimi could even be adequate & come close to ranking in the middle of the pack, for better or worse by a ranking or two, & maintain or better his run blocking abilities, I think he'd be a nasty RT. Carimi did prove that he can run block in a down year & for me that's the number one skill I hope to see from a RT. If he could come close to replicating his play from the 2012 Texans game where he was by far the best offensive lineman on the field for either team that night, which his critics like to ignore in favor of the 49ers game, he could be a mainstay at RT, if healthy. One thing that scouts did like on Carimis scouting report was his overall work ethic. He does have a rep as one who works his but off at anything he does. I just hope a knee injury isn't too much to overcome in the amount of time he'll likely get from this coaching staff to get it right.

He had a hand in a couple sacks that weren't charged to his man. He wasn't god awful but he wasn't really good either. We didn't see enough to know where he'd settle in but he looked susceptable to a speed rush.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
No he didn't. Though he has some God awful form & footwork, he still maintained almost all of his assignments & managed to allow three QB hurries over the course of a game and a half, no sacks. For a rookie that's not bad...

I'm just curious about the bolded part. How do you know he maintained all of his assignments? Serious question. On any given play we as viewers can assume we know what the play or assignment is, but as best it's just a guess into what is still some complicated play design.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He had a hand in a couple sacks that weren't charged to his man. He wasn't god awful but he wasn't really good either. We didn't see enough to know where he'd settle in but he looked susceptable to a speed rush.

I know I wasn't impressed after that small sample size. I was optimistic then, not so much anymore. That small sample size was likely who he is as a pro.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Me neither but I just don't see how much he's going to get better in a few weeks after an entire off season. Out of sight, out of mind. That said. it won't matter much until they put on the pads and I'm rooting for him. While I'd rather have him in camp whenever possible, I'm still rooting for him to find a spot and fulfill his potential. I'd love to see him at G next to Webb with Long on the other side pass protecting and pulling.

He's been training at Bentley's academy since early January, so that's 4 months not weeks.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I know I wasn't impressed after that small sample size. I was optimistic then, not so much anymore. That small sample size was likely who he is as a pro.

I remember Tice saying he was our best lineman when he got injured, even though that's wasn't saying much at the time.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You do realize, he was injured in the 1st half of the first game of his career, don't you?

I think he also played the entire 1st 1/2 or close to it and looked better that game than his 1st. Saints were mostly overloading the other side.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's been training at Bentley's academy since early January, so that's 4 months not weeks.

I know that. How specific do I need to be and what do you think is implied? After 4 months with Bentley, I'd rather have him with the team for OTAs. He can work with Bentley in between. I've never even inferred that he wasn't working hard this off season. If I felt that way, I'd write him off. I clearly haven't and hope he takes the RG spot. Other than Garza, that line would be major beef block.

In fact I think he's worked hard enough that a week or 2 away from Bentley and learning his assignments and what Kromer expects if more important than a few more workouts. It's not a huge deal and it will come down to camp. If he's competing at G, reps will be less important anyways.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hope it works out better this time around... Remember this gem.

Working out in barn, Williams developed inner strength
Bears left guard pushed body and soul during offseason to prepare for critical season
August 26, 2011|By Vaughn McClure, Chicago Tribune reporter

Down a country road five minutes from his Nashville-area home, Chris Williams made a discovery.

He found his refuge. He found his strength.

The first day Williams pulled his Hummer into the secluded, 195-acre property a few months back, he figured his eyes had deceived him. There were turkeys gobbling. There were deer running.

Then the Bears offensive lineman glanced up to see his new, offseason workout home; a fortress large enough to house an entire 53-man roster yet usually built to accommodate livestock.

"Yes, it's a barn," Williams said. "A barn with weights in it. It's strange, but it's cool."

Saturday's trip to Nashville for the Bears-Titans exhibition might evoke more than old college memories for the former Vanderbilt standout. Williams could have flashbacks of how he stayed in shape working out at such an unusual facility.

The barn and surrounding football and baseball fields share a name. Owner Mickey Mitchell, a Nashville-area entrepreneur who played football at Mississippi State, originally purchased the property with thoughts of training elite athletes from around the country. It evolved into a sports-based summer camp ministry for kids called "The Refuge at Cool Springs."

Mitchell opened his doors to current or former professional athletes willing to share a moment with campers between workouts. He often hosts good friend and former Titans coach Jeff Fisher and recently welcomed troubled-receiver Kenny Britt to speak with the kids.

When Williams heard about the place and came knocking, Mitchell gave him the key to his little village.

Literally.

"I never told Chris this, but he's the only man other than an employee that I've ever given a key to the place," Mitchell said. "After meeting with him just a couple of times, you just get the sense that he is not someone who would take advantage of the situation. He's just a class act. I told him, 'Brother, you are welcomed here any time you want to use it.'"

So Williams came, two times a week at the start. Before he left to rejoin the Bears, he found himself working at the barn exclusively four times a week rather than making the half hour drive to Vanderbilt.

He lifted weights. He worked with sleds. He played basketball with campers.

"No one looks at Chris and doesn't wonder if he's an athlete so, yeah, the kids knew about Chris," Mitchell said. "He made a lot of the kids extremely happy there just by hanging out."

Williams followed his normal workout routine under extreme conditions, with no air conditioning in the facility despite some unbearably hot days. He only hoped enough air circulated through the open 8x12 foot windows and scattered fans.

Bears coach Lovie Smith heard whispers of Williams' rigorous workout regime during the lockout.

"When you have time off, sometimes it's good to go back to your roots, to go in a non-air conditioned place and sweat," Smith said. "A guy like Chris, he knows how to get himself ready. That's why he's in the NFL. He knows how to do things."

But even Williams would admit he needed to do things better after a sub-par first three seasons. He entered the NFL as a first-round draft pick and the Bears' left tackle of the future. As he worked out in secluded surroundings this summer, he realized his future relies heavily on his continued improvement at left guard.

"We all want to play the best we can," Williams said. "We all have something to prove, to an extent."

Based on what happened inside that barn this summer, Williams already has taken his next step. Inside the place they call "The Refuge," he found his strength.

vxmcclure@tribune.com

Twitter @vxmcclure23

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Arizona is not that far...

Sent from Neverwhere using Taptalk

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Hope it works out better this time around... Remember this gem.

Working out in barn, Williams developed inner strength
Bears left guard pushed body and soul during offseason to prepare for critical season
August 26, 2011|By Vaughn McClure, Chicago Tribune reporter

Down a country road five minutes from his Nashville-area home, Chris Williams made a discovery.

He found his refuge. He found his strength.

The first day Williams pulled his Hummer into the secluded, 195-acre property a few months back, he figured his eyes had deceived him. There were turkeys gobbling. There were deer running.

Then the Bears offensive lineman glanced up to see his new, offseason workout home; a fortress large enough to house an entire 53-man roster yet usually built to accommodate livestock.

"Yes, it's a barn," Williams said. "A barn with weights in it. It's strange, but it's cool."

Saturday's trip to Nashville for the Bears-Titans exhibition might evoke more than old college memories for the former Vanderbilt standout. Williams could have flashbacks of how he stayed in shape working out at such an unusual facility.

The barn and surrounding football and baseball fields share a name. Owner Mickey Mitchell, a Nashville-area entrepreneur who played football at Mississippi State, originally purchased the property with thoughts of training elite athletes from around the country. It evolved into a sports-based summer camp ministry for kids called "The Refuge at Cool Springs."

Mitchell opened his doors to current or former professional athletes willing to share a moment with campers between workouts. He often hosts good friend and former Titans coach Jeff Fisher and recently welcomed troubled-receiver Kenny Britt to speak with the kids.

When Williams heard about the place and came knocking, Mitchell gave him the key to his little village.

Literally.

"I never told Chris this, but he's the only man other than an employee that I've ever given a key to the place," Mitchell said. "After meeting with him just a couple of times, you just get the sense that he is not someone who would take advantage of the situation. He's just a class act. I told him, 'Brother, you are welcomed here any time you want to use it.'"

So Williams came, two times a week at the start. Before he left to rejoin the Bears, he found himself working at the barn exclusively four times a week rather than making the half hour drive to Vanderbilt.

He lifted weights. He worked with sleds. He played basketball with campers.

"No one looks at Chris and doesn't wonder if he's an athlete so, yeah, the kids knew about Chris," Mitchell said. "He made a lot of the kids extremely happy there just by hanging out."

Williams followed his normal workout routine under extreme conditions, with no air conditioning in the facility despite some unbearably hot days. He only hoped enough air circulated through the open 8x12 foot windows and scattered fans.

Bears coach Lovie Smith heard whispers of Williams' rigorous workout regime during the lockout.

"When you have time off, sometimes it's good to go back to your roots, to go in a non-air conditioned place and sweat," Smith said. "A guy like Chris, he knows how to get himself ready. That's why he's in the NFL. He knows how to do things."

But even Williams would admit he needed to do things better after a sub-par first three seasons. He entered the NFL as a first-round draft pick and the Bears' left tackle of the future. As he worked out in secluded surroundings this summer, he realized his future relies heavily on his continued improvement at left guard.

"We all want to play the best we can," Williams said. "We all have something to prove, to an extent."

Based on what happened inside that barn this summer, Williams already has taken his next step. Inside the place they call "The Refuge," he found his strength.

vxmcclure@tribune.com

Twitter @vxmcclure23

This is why I hate the offseason. All these dumbass articles and projections that don't mean shit

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know that. How specific do I need to be and what do you think is implied? After 4 months with Bentley, I'd rather have him with the team for OTAs. He can work with Bentley in between. I've never even inferred that he wasn't working hard this off season. If I felt that way, I'd write him off. I clearly haven't and hope he takes the RG spot. Other than Garza, that line would be major beef block.

In fact I think he's worked hard enough that a week or 2 away from Bentley and learning his assignments and what Kromer expects if more important than a few more workouts. It's not a huge deal and it will come down to camp. If he's competing at G, reps will be less important anyways.

I get what you're saying here but it doesn't really matter what you, me, or the bears would rather have Carimi do.

All that matters is that Carimi made a decision and he is following through with it. Whether he made the right decision will be tested in camp.

But Carimi has to have a reason for his decision. I don't believe that he is pathological and self sabotoging. There must be something that he saw as an advantage in staying in AZ to train.

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:
I'm willing to see what he's got. If by some miracle he realizes his potential the o-line will be stacked. Lets not forget we all wanted a corner before last year cause Jennings just wasnt good enough.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I get what you're saying here but it doesn't really matter what you, me, or the bears would rather have Carimi do.

All that matters is that Carimi made a decision and he is following through with it. Whether he made the right decision will be tested in camp.

But Carimi has to have a reason for his decision. I don't believe that he is pathological and self sabotoging. There must be something that he saw as an advantage in staying in AZ to train.

Of course that's the case. I and the coaches would just rather have him here. Never said it would derail him. The post that I responded to implied that I thought he had only worked out in AZ for weeks overall which is not the case.