Garza isn't as bad as you think

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Garza with another nice outing 8 IP 3 runs 10K's...only mistake in my mind was leadoff walk in 6th

1908_Cubs

Liked Posts:
That was brought up over a week ago. no point in even using that in an arguement since the responses where the defense is worse than tampas previous OF, so I wasnt even going to waste my time with that again if that is going to be the arguement.

to say that he is going to pitch more to ground balls, is easier said than done, it isnt just going to happen where he decides "hey im going to pitch groundballs now because im in Wrigley and not in Tampa"

Considering he's throwing far less fastballs and far more sinkers, yes, it's quite easy.

But hey, you keep going Dew. You keep it up.

And no you never made that point. Not in this thread, sir. Don't pretend you did. The only argument you did resulted around hits and hits alone. Please, don't take me for a dipshit. I'm far too intelligent.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My quote was short lived in Dewey's signature. Hmm....

HMMM??? what? I go through sigs like you go through jars of vaseline, what is your point? It has nothing to do with Garza. Moron.

Considering he's throwing far less fastballs and far more sinkers, yes, it's quite easy.

But hey, you keep going Dew. You keep it up.

And no you never made that point. Not in this thread, sir. Don't pretend you did. The only argument you did resulted around hits and hits alone. Please, don't take me for a dipshit. I'm far too intelligent.

"I'm far too intelligent" :rolleyes: Based on what? your ability to comprehend a flawed system. really? Try again.

With all the post experience you have you are really bad at this.

Throwing an effective sinker for the course of the entire season, and changing his FB% and LD% drastically from his career lines is laughable if you believe that.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
:popcorn:

Not sure exactly what's being discussed, but Garza's the best starter on the Cubs...so do what you will w/ that information.

mkay, back to the bitch-fest!

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
HMMM??? what? I go through sigs like you go through jars of vaseline, what is your point? It has nothing to do with Garza. Moron.

"I'm far too intelligent" :rolleyes: Based on what? your ability to comprehend a flawed system. really? Try again.

Throwing an effective sinker for the course of the entire season, and changing his FB% and LD% drastically from his career lines is laughable if you believe that.

Again, Dewey, instead of seeing who has the biggest e-penis, why don't you present some facts?

How is that laughable? Sinkers lead to groundballs. What is laughable is that you still havent presented any facts once soever. What is ROFLable is that you refuse to acknowledge it and are just trying to use insults to make yourself look cool.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
:popcorn:

Not sure exactly what's being discussed, but Garza's the best starter on the Cubs...so do what you will w/ that information.

mkay, back to the bitch-fest!

this right here is the truth....also not his fault that we have some pitchers on the DL and that we cant hit consistently w/ RISP...

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
This thread has gotta be one of my better ideas... Great arguments lol. Anyways I think Garza is getting unlucky with the balls dropping, seems kind of fluky to me. And he is by far our best pitcher through the first month of the season.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again, Dewey, instead of seeing who has the biggest e-penis, why don't you present some facts?

How is that laughable? Sinkers lead to groundballs. What is laughable is that you still havent presented any facts once soever. What is ROFLable is that you refuse to acknowledge it and are just trying to use insults to make yourself look cool.

:rolleyes: stop copying everyone (sig bet for a year with JNTG cough cough sounds familiar)

anyway...

Facts? What facts are you presenting here? the fact that his FB% is down and LD% is up?

xFIP is not fact, that is the problem that you have, you believe that it is fact when it has been clearly stated as a flawed metric. you need more material than just xFIP.

sinkers- yes effective sinkers will produce more groundballs, but again effective. In other words, he has to have an AVG to above AVG sinker to change his career FB% by a small fraction. If you are basing this off of 1 month sample size in pitch selection you clearly are Special person. To think he will be marginally better with his LD% and FB% due to throwing a sinker, you are mistaken. There isnt much more to this CO.

this right here is the truth....also not his fault that we have some pitchers on the DL and that we cant hit consistently w/ RISP...

Garza in pitching the best on the Cubs, which no one is arguing about. The fact that CO stated he is the best if not in the top few best pitchers in the majors is assine. basing this off xFIP.

CO- bump this thread after the season and let me know how his sinker is working. 破家

Last edited:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
:rolleyes: stop copying everyone (sig bet for a year with JNTG cough cough sounds familiar)

anyway...

Facts? What facts are you presenting here? the fact that his FB% is down and LD% is up?

xFIP is not fact, that is the problem that you have, you believe that it is fact when it has been clearly stated as a flawed metric. you need more material than just xFIP.

sinkers- yes effective sinkers will produce more groundballs, but again effective. In other words, he has to have an AVG to above AVG sinker to change his career FB% by a small fraction. If you are basing this off of 1 month sample size in pitch selection you clearly are Special person. To think he will be marginally better with his LD% and FB% due to throwing a sinker, you are mistaken. There isnt much more to this CO.

Garza in pitching the best on the Cubs, which no one is arguing about. The fact that CO stated he is the best if not in the top few best pitchers in the majors is assine. basing this off xFIP.

CO- bump this thread after the season and let me know how his sinker is working. 破家

Well, ya see, here's the funny part. I didn't just base it off of his xFIP.

What facts? Uhhh... his K's are up, his BB's are down, his HR's are non-existent. I brought up xFIP once. Plus, why would I even use xFIP? It's for predicting how a pitcher'll fair in the future.

See, then you talk about how his sinker will fair in the future. You missed the whole point of the post. SO FAR he has been one of the best. I'm not talking about 1 year into the future. I'm not even talking about 1 day. SO FAR.

I absolutely never stated that he is a top pitcher. I said SO FAR. I used xFIP once. ONCE.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Well, ya see, here's the funny part. I didn't just base it off of his xFIP.

What facts? Uhhh... his K's are up, his BB's are down, his HR's are non-existent. I brought up xFIP once. Plus, why would I even use xFIP? It's for predicting how a pitcher'll fair in the future.

See, then you talk about how his sinker will fair in the future. You missed the whole point of the post. SO FAR he has been one of the best. I'm not talking about 1 year into the future. I'm not even talking about 1 day. SO FAR.

I absolutely never stated that he is a top pitcher. I said SO FAR. I used xFIP once. ONCE.

Funny you should say...

FIP, developed by Dave Studeman from The Hardball Times. It’s calculated exactly the same as FIP, except it replaces a pitcher’s homerun rate with the league-average rate (10.6% HR/FB) since pitcher homerun rates have been shown to be very unstable over time. A pitcher may allow a homeruns on 12% of their flyballs one year, yet then turn around and only allow 7% the next year. Homerun rates can be very difficult to predict, so xFIP attempts to correct for that. Along with FIP, xFIP is one of the best metrics at predicting a pitcher’s future performance.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Whats your point?

"Along with FIP". If xFIP is predicting future performance... so is FIP, according to fangraphs anyway.

He says he wouldn't use xFIP because it is to predict future performance, but he still uses FIP anyway.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Funny you should say...

xFIP is better for predicting the future. FIP shows how a pitcher actually did. xFIP shows how they should have done. Which is why xFIP is better for projecting the future. FIP just isn't good for a single game.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Along with FIP". If xFIP is predicting future performance... so is FIP, according to fangraphs anyway.

He says he wouldn't use xFIP because it is to predict future performance, but he still uses FIP anyway.

I think you misread what he was trying to say.

either way, FIP and xFIP are highly flawed.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

They both are good for predicting the future, although xFIP is better. That doesn't mean that that's all they are good for though.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:

You're not understanding the difference. xFIP is for predicting future ERA. FIP records what actually happened based on its formula.

I think what fangraphs means by that is that FIP is reliable year in year out.

I couldn't really decide how to word this so I'm not sure if it makes sense :shrug:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
xFIP is better for predicting the future. FIP shows how a pitcher actually did. xFIP shows how they should have done. Which is why xFIP is better for projecting the future. FIP just isn't good for a single game.

The ONLY difference is that xFIP uses league-average HR rate instead of their own. Beyond that, xFIP too shows what they actually did.

I hope you know that FIP isn't even all that good. It completely takes balls in play out of the equation, which may seems good, but there are issues with that.
FIP=[(13HR+3BB-2K)/IP]+3.10

So if a pitcher lobs it right down the middle of the plate, the batter is going to swing and make solid contact that often the defense would have no conceivable chance of playing. But with FIP, the pitcher gets away with that completely and it is not reflected at all. It takes away defensive mistakes, yes, but it also takes solid contact pitchers allow completely out of the equation, which is why I don't like it.