Garza Rumors: Boston/NYY

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Per 670 the score.

rumors are coming out that garza could be dealt.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Per 670 the score.

rumors are coming out that garza could be dealt.

That'd be somewhat hilarious if the Cubs said "fuck you" back to the Rays after the Rays pulled off the "fuck you" trade of the century hahahaha.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I kind of like this potential scenario. I am not too big fan of the Red Sox prospects, but snagging a couple of the Yankees top prospects would be pretty sweet. And maybe possible if a bidding war emerges between the two.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I kind of like this potential scenario. I am not too big fan of the Red Sox prospects, but snagging a couple of the Yankees top prospects would be pretty sweet. And maybe possible if a bidding war emerges between the two.

Fukudome, Garza, and Pena for Ellsbury, Lester, Gonzalez, lol.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only issue that was brought up by some of the guys was the fact that if a young/cheap talented SP is traded for specs, the cubs would be declaring that they are rebuilding without having to say it.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A bidding war between those two means the Cubs get a nice return.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
And now the word is this:
Yesterday when Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune reported that the Red Sox were interested in Cubs right-hander Matt Garza, Calcaterra noted that it’s been a while since any rumors in Rogers’ weekly column “actually happened.”

And now 24 hours later Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com talked to “a baseball source familiar with the Cubs’ thinking” who said there’s “nothing” to the Garza rumor.
“Nothing” to report of Red Sox’s interest in Matt Garza | HardballTalk

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even if the source of the smoke is Phil Rogers...

I agree that teams are interested in Matt Garza. There aren't any starting pitchers worth anything on the market. The White Sox moving Edwin Jackson right now would be the best SP available. That is how bad the market for SP is right now, which is why the Cubs ought to consider moving Garza because the demand could net the Cubs a better package then perhaps they ought to get.

I just don't know why Jim Hendry has any incentive to trade Matt Garza. He is on the clock as he knows, and trading Matt Garza torpodoes any hope for next season which is going to be his last, if he makes it past this season.

Last edited:

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
sweet...Hendry has now given up on improving the team and is now trying to flip players for good prospects like people flip houses and cars for profit...

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even if the source of the smoke is Phil Rogers...

I agree that teams are interested in Matt Garza. There aren't any starting pitchers worth anything on the market. The White Sox moving Edwin Jackson right now would be the best SP available. That is how bad the market for SP is right now, which is why the Cubs ought to consider moving Garza because the demand could net the Cubs a better package then perhaps they ought to get.

I just don't know why Jim Hendry has any incentive to trade Matt Garza. He is on the clock as he knows, and trading Matt Garza torpodoes any hope for next season which is going to be his last, if he makes it past this season.

Yeah that is definitely a problem of having a lame duck GM.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
if ricketts is going to fire JH after the season like a lot of people speculate, why keep him during the trade deadline? it is a bone head move

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
if ricketts is going to fire JH after the season like a lot of people speculate, why keep him during the trade deadline? it is a bone head move

I don't see the better option though. None of the guys that I would want to run this team in the future are available for interview at this point in the season. So hiring Hendry means Randy Bush is taking over. What is his incentive to make moves for more than just this season? He is looking to try to hold onto a job at that point, and making moves that are long term like trading Garza aren't going to get him the full time job. It is a bad scenario no matter what for the Cubs, but Hendry is the lesser of two evils at this point.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

good point...but what GMs are really available right now?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read on another forum the list of GMs that had been fired in midseason, and every time that has happened the GM was replaced from within the organization. If the Cubs fired Jim Hendry it means Randy Bush is running this team til the end of the season. The only way to give Randy Bush reason to make moves that are long term is to remove the interim tag and give him a contract to be the GM for several seasons. I don't want Hendry or Bush running this team beyond this year, and so I would just let Hendry ride the season out.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
there are guys that are going to be staying with the cubs for a while in the front office. have one of those guys take over and use the resources that are available to help advise on trade dead line moves.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who is going to stay on? Make that a better question, who do we as Cubs fan actually want to stay on? The only guy I can think of that I really wouldn't mind hanging onto is Wilken, but Wilken left Tampa after getting passed over for the GM spot to come work for Hendry. Gary Hughes came in a very similar situation. I mean those are the only 3 guys that I think would be given a chance as an interim GM. I could see both of those guys turning down the chance out of loyalty to Hendry or not being willing to take the job purely on a caretaker level. I just don't see how you create a situation where you have a compentent GM for the rest of the season as a placeholder til you can get the GM you want, and have that placeholder have a reason to make moves for the longterm.