GDT 10/13 - Chicago Blackhawks at Avs 9:00 CST

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Colonton would be better off with a team full of fourth liners.

He cannot coach guys who have proven they are winners in the NHL so he trash fires the team to believe they are losers and at that, he’s a damn good coach
But we still looking for players who can play his made up system?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Man, Meyers didn't see Keith and think, "that's Duncan Keith."

Damn, Keith tried to just go limp and relax through it like a QB but the dude was a giant and he rag dolled with the hole spine involved.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We weren't dominated, the Hawks created chances and couldn't finish.

Holy Kubalik. It did sting that Bryum out finished the Dach.

Makar and Byrum cover some ground. But they seem rather injury prone as a team. We'll see if the Avs still look cup worthy in 4-6 months.

Kuemper rarely lasts 2 months without a shelf.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's hard to fight back against that team in that building. I mean game 1, you can't really ask your body for gas out there at 6,000 feet.

There is a reason that franchise has a glorious home opener record.

Granada

Liked Posts:
We weren't dominated, the Hawks created chances and couldn't finish.

Holy Kubalik. It did sting that Bryum out finished the Dach.

Makar and Byrum cover some ground. But they seem rather injury prone as a team. We'll see if the Avs still look cup worthy in 4-6 months.

Kuemper rarely lasts 2 months without a shelf.

They were dominated in the first period, that's undeniable -- but they did settle in beginning in the second, which was nice to see. The Avs were just unbelievably fired up. They had at least 2 posts, at least one (if not both) were in the first period; the second one was a crossbar. It could have been 4-0 or 5-0 in the first, the Hawks were outshot badly; and if Debrincat doesn't cheat and draw that penalty, the Hawks would have been done for. Special teams really bailed them out to end the first.

Dach was all over the ice but yeah, sucks he couldn't finish. I'm hopeful though from what I saw of him last night, if he keeps that up for the majority of the season, he'll be fine.

Jones: really wasn't impressed with him in the first but he seemed to get better as the game went on. Khaira though -- what's the point of this guy? It's only one game and I know he's only a 4th liner, but he was very blah.

Johnson: by far the worst of the new acquisitions. Again, only one game, but damn, he's needs to be better, starting next game. This is a huge opportunity for him to be a top-six player, and if he isn't up to snuff, we'll have problems.

Fleury: fine overall. Really didn't like that 4th goal though.

Entwistle/Borgstrom: I'd rather have Strome and/or Gaudette.

That hit by Landeskog on Dach at the end of the game was unforgivable and dirty as all hell.

I did like the physicality the Hawks brought in this game. I haven't seen the Hawks that physical in a long time. That Stillman hit was a thing of beauty. The Avs were also very physical, but it was like the Hawks didn't back down from that physicality like they always did in the past.

Bust

Liked Posts:
He created chances while others were invisible. Gaudette and Strome should be on the ice as well

Dach had 3 grade A chances to score, plus the breakaway. He trash. As a #3 overall if he can't be a consistent 15 goal scorer in the league then he wasn't worth a top 3.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Jones, Murphy, McCabe combined for 71:25 minutes.
Mitchell, Stillman, de Haan Combined for 42:47.

How do you expect the d to gel if you don't let them play and play together.

Jones got 5:07 of the 5:23 of PP time. which I can only imagine was actually a mistake become somehow it was Mitchell who had the other 13 seconds. I think this is mostly how he banked over 28 minutes.

Oddly, the shifts for those three vs. the other was closer than I expected at 77-61 which I guess just means a lot of double shifting.

DaHawkz24

Liked Posts:
Dach had 3 grade A chances to score, plus the breakaway. He trash. As a #3 overall if he can't be a consistent 15 goal scorer in the league then he wasn't worth a top 3.

I know you are trolling, but I'll respond.
He is 20 years old and is coming off of the wrist injury which screwed up his whole season last year.
He is playing great, and the pucks will start going in.
Obviously Kuemper played great and shut down plenty of grade A chances besides Dach.

greg23

Liked Posts:
The first 10 minutes was a fuking onslaught

3-0
About 17 shots to 2
Think they hit 2 posts and had 3-5 glorious chances other than the 3 goals they scored

Lucky it wasn't 5/6 -0 halfway thru the 1st

From there things evened out okay....tough assignment vs a top 3-4 team in the leauge on the road in the opener....glad they were missing their coach and best player!

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
First 10 minutes I was looking for my pitchfork to crucify JC. Hawks settled down after that. Dach has to finish no question about that. Going forward Strome and Gaudette need to be in and Carpy and Kharia can sit. Stillman has some jam to his game and deHann didn’t look good with Jones at all.

I’d roll these against NJ

Kubs Toews Kurashev

Hagel Borgstrom Kaner

D-Cat Dach Gaudette

Entwistle Johnson Strome

Gives us flexibility

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
First 10 minutes I was looking for my pitchfork to crucify JC. Hawks settled down after that. Dach has to finish no question about that. Going forward Strome and Gaudette need to be in and Carpy and Kharia can sit. Stillman has some jam to his game and deHann didn’t look good with Jones at all.

I’d roll these against NJ

Kubs Toews Kurashev

Hagel Borgstrom Kaner

D-Cat Dach Gaudette

Entwistle Johnson Strome

Gives us flexibility
JarJar isn’t sitting because he’s rock solid on the PK.

To get Gaudette and Strome in there your looking at sitting Entwhistle and either Kura or Borg

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
But we still looking for players who can play his made up system?
I don’t think anybody with NHL experience can play this man and a half scheme.

If over reliance on leaving the slot open in your own zone is an actual scheme being taught, that’s not an NHL coach.

The last preseason game and last night, after the complete blow out both games in the second period they move towards a man on man scheme and look at the results.

Granted, the Avs won the game in the first period, Hawks wernt coming back. But they went to a basic defense and guess what, they played a bit better.

You are not going to win a lot of games in the NHL giving up over 20 high danger chances a game.

The problem with this team is coaching. This is a playoff team with an nhl head coach. Is Blowman going to admit Colonton was a mistake soon and try and salvage this season?

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
It must be a miracle in the making, and as difficult as it is to say, I agree with you. Dach was drafted to take over as our number #1,I understand his injury and the healing process, however I agree with you Bust, if he can’t be a consistent 15-20 goal scorer he is isn’t worth the third overall pick. Bowen, looked amazing last night, the number #4 pick. I want him to succeed at all costs, a better Dach makes for a better Blackhawks team, but he needs to be a whole lot better than what we have seen. I would not call him trash, that’s pushing it, but if he cashes in on a few of those chances the games swings in a different direction. Aside from that, he is also terrible at the dot and that’s being polite, I am hoping for the best, but right now I see more of a Cam Barker bust than a future Jonathan Toews.

Last edited:

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I don’t think anybody with NHL experience can play this man and a half scheme.

If over reliance on leaving the slot open in your own zone is an actual scheme being taught, that’s not an NHL coach.

The last preseason game and last night, after the complete blow out both games in the second period they move towards a man on man scheme and look at the results.

Granted, the Avs won the game in the first period, Hawks wernt coming back. But they went to a basic defense and guess what, they played a bit better.

You are not going to win a lot of games in the NHL giving up over 20 high danger chances a game.

The problem with this team is coaching. This is a playoff team with an nhl head coach. Is Blowman going to admit Colonton was a mistake soon and try and salvage this season?
JC is out of his league, hands down worst coach in the NHL, I do agree this is a playoff team with a somewhat competent coach. He never has an ingame plan, he never seems to be prepared when his game strategy goes by the way side, he looks like a deer in headlights. Blowman fails on every level and this is another, it’s time to fire this joke of a coach.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dach was probably the best forward on the ice for the Hawks. A nice showing after a weak preseason. His faceoff handicap is well known but you can work around that.....put someone like Johnson on his line to just take the faceoffs and then switch back to playing wing. As far as the breakaways, someone needs to point out to Dach that unless you are a magician at hitting the 5 hole....going low on today's goalies is wasting an opportunity. Without great hands like Kaner, top shelf is the way to go.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Dach was probably the best forward on the ice for the Hawks. A nice showing after a weak preseason. His faceoff handicap is well known but you can work around that.....put someone like Johnson on his line to just take the faceoffs and then switch back to playing wing. As far as the breakaways, someone needs to point out to Dach that unless you are a magician at hitting the 5 hole....going low on today's goalies is wasting an opportunity. Without great hands like Kaner, top shelf is the way to go.
Let me say, I want Dach to succeed, and yes I agree he was very noticeable in last night tilt, but he has to finish, and he did not. There have been all sorts of players through the years who have shown exactly what Dach has shown, but if he cant capitalize on his scoring chances he is no better. Maybe I am being to tough on the kid, but when I see how good Bowen looked, it's tough not to pass some sort of criticism.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let me say, I want Dach to succeed, and yes I agree he was very noticeable in last night tilt, but he has to finish, and he did not. There have been all sorts of players through the years who have shown exactly what Dach has shown, but if he cant capitalize on his scoring chances he is no better. Maybe I am being to tough on the kid, but when I see how good Bowen looked, it's tough not to pass some sort of criticism.
Are you talking about Byram? I thought he played D....at least that's where he played last night. Regardless, it's easier to look good playing with a team that's loaded....I'm not saying the he won't be great, he certainly could be but it's just easier for a kid to step in with a very good team surrounding him.

Not finishing? Pull a Blackhawk number out of a hat.....they could all be accused of that. Only difference is that Dach got himself in position to finish....most of the others did not.

I'm more concerned with Kane. Either his injury is more than he's letting on or he's on the decline. He doesn't look the same. He's late getting to where he needs to be and has no jump to his game....not a good sign after one game.

Bust

Liked Posts:
JC is out of his league, hands down worst coach in the NHL, I do agree this is a playoff team with a somewhat competent coach. He never has an ingame plan, he never seems to be prepared when his game strategy goes by the way side, he looks like a deer in headlights. Blowman fails on every level and this is another, it’s time to fire this joke of a coach.

JC is all but gone this year if the team gets buried in the standings early.

Back in the day Savard was fired after just 4 games and replaced with Q . . .