Giants/Cubs talking trade?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one is expecting soto to turn into a superstar, we're expecting him to be the soto he has shown he can be. We understand this year is a wash, we do. But next year isn't. Assuming we get prince, we're gonna need geo. Those prospects won't help us out then(more than likely). For those of you who don't think we will contend next year, why do you want to move him now? When we can move him next year, or the next year? His value will certainly be higher at some point as opposed to now.

how about another sig bet?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a list of free agent catchers in 2012, age in parenthesis going into 2012:

Rod Barajas (36)
Henry Blanco (40)
Ramon Castro (36)
Ryan Doumit (31) - $7.25MM club option for 2012, $8.25MM club option for '13 with a $500K buyout
Ramon Hernandez (36)
Jason Kendall (38)
Gerald Laird (32)
Jose Molina (36)
Yadier Molina (29) - $7MM club option with a $750K buyout
Dioner Navarro (28)
Ivan Rodriguez (40)
Brian Schneider (35)
Kelly Shoppach (29) - $3.2MM club option with a $300K buyout
Chris Snyder (31) - $6.75MM club option with a $750K buyout
Matt Treanor (36)
Jason Varitek (40)

There is nobody on this list that I would want other than Yadier Molina and I'm pretty sure he'll end up staying with St. Louis. As bad as this may sound, I'd rather have Soto than any one of these guys...honestly.

might as well keep him, but sign a solid back up, because you will need one. Sotos fat ass will find a way on the DL next season, and it isnt like he is this young pup. Conditioning is key when we speak of catchers, and starting catchers for that matter. Ride out his contract and get a descent back up.

Rick

Liked Posts:
might as well keep him, but sign a solid back up, because you will need one. Sotos fat ass will find a way on the DL next season, and it isnt like he is this young pup. Conditioning is key when we speak of catchers, and starting catchers for that matter. Ride out his contract and get a descent back up.

I would take a couple of those guys from that list over Koyie Hill, thats for sure.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would take a couple of those guys from that list over Koyie Hill, thats for sure.

oh yeah, that is for sure. what is scary for cub fans at this point, is the holes that need to be filled this offseason. by moving him, you create hole number 1,300. obviously you move him in the right deal, but he isnt going to get you top specs like poodski said, that is just pure non sense.

Rick

Liked Posts:
oh yeah, that is for sure. what is scary for cub fans at this point, is the holes that need to be filled this offseason. by moving him, you create hole number 1,300. obviously you move him in the right deal, but he isnt going to get you top specs like poodski said, that is just pure non sense.

Not a chance you're going to get top prospects for Soto in deal. They may as well keep him. He doesn't have a big contract. The Cubs need to focus on moving guys like Soriano, Fukudome, Byrd, Ramirez etc.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I never said that is what we were going to get I just said that is what I would want in order to be happy with the trade.

Soto is a top ten player at one of the most difficult positions to find players at.

Of the 20 catchers this season with at least 200 PA he still ranks 9th in wOBA. Drop that down to 150 PA and its 13 out of 31. So even in a "down year" he is still an above average C, and the only one on that list above him is Ramon Hernandez.

He is pretty much as good as Matt Garza who is under team control the same amount of time, so yeah I would expect a similar return to Garza.

Will we get what I want? I doubt it, which means I don't want to trade him. We have nothing coming up that is nearly as good as him, and nothing we can get either, and all we are getting is a couple of throw-away specs then its not worth it.

Soto is not, and should not be treated like a salary dump. Not only that but if we keep him not only do we get 2 more years of above average production, but we will also get type A compensation for him. I would rather have the draft pick than some crappy specs.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wins above replacement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a guess of how many WINS a player is worth over a replacement player. it is by far the most subjective stat and should NOT be used alone to evaluate a player, let alone some of the people here stating it in their all star debates. This cubbies4ever is still not a STAT, again, because it is not known to be true.
WAR is too dependent on UZR though IMHO, and UZR is very flawed as well.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
WAR is too dependent on UZR though IMHO, and UZR is very flawed as well.

Well its not TOO dependent on it, because UZR is meant to calculate number of runs a player is above or below average so it's in there the amount it's supposed to be. You can't very well say player X saved 8 runs on defense, but only count half towards WAR so as not to weigh it the same. I mean a run saved is a run saved, which is the same as a run created on offense.

If you want to argue if UZR is flawed then that is a whole different argument.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Hendry gets Brandon Belt for Soto he deserves a raise.

I can't see the Giants making this move unless they plan on moving Belt to LF.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Hendry gets Brandon Belt for Soto he deserves a raise.

I can't see the Giants making this move unless they plan on moving Belt to LF.

They're playing Belt in the OF more. I think they'd eventually just release Huff, maybe move Posey to 1B with Belt in LF, and whatever catcher they decide to go with will take the punishment that Posey won't have to anymore. But again, Brian Sabean :lol:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL at Belt for Soto.

Trading a slumping catcher who is hitting around .240 for one of the best prospects in baseball?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
They're playing Belt in the OF more. I think they'd eventually just release Huff, maybe move Posey to 1B with Belt in LF, and whatever catcher they decide to go with will take the punishment that Posey won't have to anymore. But again, Brian Sabean :lol:

Posey at 1B is interesting. Not sure how his bat translates to the position but for whatever reason the Giants never seem to have a true power hitter on the team.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Posey at 1B is interesting. Not sure how his bat translates to the position but for whatever reason the Giants never seem to have a true power hitter on the team.

They did. His name was Barry Bonds. He was pretty good at baseball.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
dewey,is that you in your avatar

and trading soto? jesus it must be my birthday...