Glazer: Fox, Elway had “irreconcilable differences”

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glazer: Fox, Elway had “irreconcilable differences”

Broncos V.P. of football operations and G.M. John Elway addressed the “mutual parting” with coach John Fox at a press conference on Tuesday. Before that, FOX’s Jay Glazer joined PFT Live to discuss the events that led to the divorce.

“This has actually been a long time coming,” Glazer said. “We kind of knew, I figured that, all the way back to last year’s even Senior Bowl, [Scouting] Combine, this year’s situation where this is going to be one and done unless, they won a Super Bowl, I think John Elway, just everything that, you know, the talent that he was going to bring in there he wasn’t going to accept anything less. I think it was just kind of like, almost like a marriage gone bad. They were irreconcilable differences, that’s what it was.”

So how much of it is on Fox?

“It’s really hard not to get along with John Fox,” Glazer said. “It really is. And, you know, it’s no secret that Fox and I are real good friends, I told him yesterday, ‘Hey, you may be a complete knucklehead, but you’re definitely not hard to get along with.’ It just became a situation where it wasn’t just with Fox, it was John Elway with the entire staff.”

How did it happen?

“It wasn’t a hatred, it wasn’t like that,” Glazer said. “It wasn’t, I don’t know, just somewhere along the line those two guys, they were close and now all of a sudden they weren’t and I don’t really . . . it didn’t happen this year, it happened long ago and sometimes change is just good for both parts and that’s what I’m saying. . . . It’s not like this just happened this week. It’s been just a long time, you know, there some things and I think once you start going down that road, it just kind of snowballs more and more and more. And every little thing will bother you about the other person, you know what I mean, when you have a situation when it’s irreconcilable differences.”

Almost as surprising as the longstanding existence of “irreconcilable differences” was the ability of Elway and Fox to keep the issues under wraps. How did they do it?

“Because it wasn’t like a hatred,” Glazer said. “It wasn’t like, look, you didn’t have a thing like [former 49ers coach] Jim Harbaugh, who is so hard to get along with, and [49ers G.M.] Trent Baalke, they’re a clash of personalities. John Elway is a very likeable guy and he’s easy to get along with. John Fox is a very likeable guy and he’s very easy to get along with. Those two guys just together it just became a bad match. . . .

“Neither one of these guys also really — they’re not politicians, you know what I mean? It comes out a lot when guys are politicians and they want the world to know what’s going on. They’re not. It just started to just see things differently. I mean that’s really the best way to say this and it seems like there’s so much more, it’s just not, they started to see things differently.”

Unlike Harbaugh, whom Glazer had reported would be out in San Francisco even if the 49ers won the Super Bowl, the irreconcilable differences between Elway and Fox would have been reconciled via a Super Bowl win.

“They loaded up, it was kind of all or nothing,” Glazer said. “It was almost same thing with [former Falcons coach] Mike Smith this year. We knew going into the year that he had to do an awful lot to compete in the playoffs or just time to move on. Sometimes, Mike, in this league, people want a clear cut answer but it really gets to the point where you know what sometimes it’s time to move on. You know, sometimes you hang out with, you’ve got friends in life and you hang out with someone and you’re going out all the time and all of a sudden it just kind of runs its course and you start hanging out with another friend.”

Now, Elway will begin looking for another friend. A friend who will also be friendly with Peyton Manning. A friend who will be comfortable with the ridiculously high standards that saw a coach who won four straight division titles sent packing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/13/glazer-fox-elway-had-irreconcilable-differences/

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think I am in on Fox...Almost seems like Arians from last year

Not the most Glamorous
Not the Hot name
Not the Golden Egg

But ... Is consistent
Has had Great Results
Hires good Coaches
Has been a winner every where he has been

Seems like it is a great match for us

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are saying on Denver sports radio that Elway wants somebody who has the killer instinct to win a superbowl and is only going to interview people that have a ring. I forget exactly what the details were, but they think that getting to the superbowl is one thing, but to actually win it takes something special that not everyone has.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also apparently Fox was responsible for the shift to the running game that happened mid season for the broncos. Now they are speculating that there were ideological differences between Manning/Gase and Fox.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are saying on Denver sports radio that Elway wants somebody who has the killer instinct to win a superbowl and is only going to interview people that have a ring. I forget exactly what the details were, but they think that getting to the superbowl is one thing, but to actually win it takes something special that not everyone has.

With the money he spent to get the people he did...I am sure he wanted nothing less

But sometimes money cannot always buy a championship.

I think Pace has it right in that you have to string together several successful drafts to compete consistently...Packers/Patriots hardly ever make a huge spending spree in FA and are always in the play offs...

Last edited:

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I fully assumed that this problem is all caused by Elway being control happy and micromanaging Fox. Fox doesn't need this shit.

Heard the same thing.

Elway is on a Jerry Jones level of Meddling.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are also saying that Fox put people out to let the Bears know that he would be interested if he lost the superbowl and was fired. he did it during the bye week apparently.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Elway is a tool. Watch Denver fall apart once Manning retires.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Elway is a tool. Watch Denver fall apart once Manning retires.

Yeah he has an ego which is not a good thing for a VP/GM to have. He even admitted it during his press conference he wants a guy who is like minded, in other words a yes man who will do what he wants. That formula never works and him wanting to go all in with Manning shouldering all the pressure again next season, after how this season ended, is a recipe for disaster.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

He should know. Took him a great D and running game. Oh wait, he doesn't want that? Fuck, I'm liking Fox better all the time.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Elway apparently wants Mike Singletary, smh...
And please don't say anything about having Manning and not being able to make it, ask Colts fans how Manning guarantees a super bowl ring every year.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I fully assumed that this problem is all caused by Elway being control happy and micromanaging Fox. Fox doesn't need this shit.

Obviously there was disagreement they could not resolve. But there is no way we can tell what those disagreements were. I think there is probably more to that then just being too controlling.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Peyton Manning is in the absolute twilight of his career was playing with a quad tear and somehow it was John Fox's fault.....#seemslegit.

I think we know quite well where the problem lies and it's not at the feet of the head coach.

The argument that anyone could win with their talent is silly because as we've seen coaching in the NFL is key.