Glennon Is A Week-To-Week Starting QB

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Chargers offered Brees a 5 year 50 million dollar deal and he rejected it because he knew he was worth more. Chargers didn't want to pay him top QB money because of his shoulder.

What do you think the Chargers would have done if he accepted the deal? Keep Rivers forever on the bench?

So he then went and signed a $10 million annual deal with the Saints....

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
How would it ad to more wins? Are you assuming that Glennon is a better QB then Hoyer, if so why?
I said potential to add more wins. I don't know how good Glennon can be, don't think anyone really does, just know Hoyer gives you nothing at all special at QB. However, sticking with Hoyer and adding Bouye, at his best does little to improve the win total. Glennon may suck, but he may not. If he plays at an above average level, that goes a long way to adding wins.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Glennon has definitely had a shit hand in terms of what he has had to deal with and back when Cutler was here someone threw out the idea of trading for him (possibly FT) and I was on board with that. At his rookie contract price he would definitely be worth the gamble. If Glennon were the only option for QB...At $45M for 3 years, might as well stick with Hoyer and try to draft a rookie in the following draft. With Trubisky, the Glennon contract is just an expensive insurance plan and worth whatever risk.

I was for making a run at Glennon after the 2014 season yes.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Instead of talking about hypotheticals that might take place 5 years from now, I remember early in the off-season Ryan Pace saying the Bears would be making a "big push" to sign Stephen Gilmore. That didn't happen, as Gilmore was offended by the Bears low-ball offer and signed elsewhere. Instead of having a top CB to anchor the porous secondary, its another year of Ryan Pace overpaying for vet CBs that nobody wants, paying even more money for a starting SS instead of drafting one, and keeping Adrian Amos.

If you aren't going to allow that the Glennon signing may have prevented Ryan Pace from actually making his 'big push' to sign Gilmore, then I'm not sure we can draw any salary cap conclusions about anything. I thought it was a pretty simple concept...you can actually get good players via free agency...winning NFL teams do this every offseason...Ryan Pace has a tendency to overpay for non-impact free agents which is definitely not the "right way" to do a total rebuild.

Yep, and when the Gilmore talks fell apart, he made a last minute attempt at signing Bouye. He also went after Ricky Wagner to replace Massie.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am seriously hoping here that people are not banking on Glennon being good.......

I haven't really read thru this thread, but has Glennon/Trubisky been compared to Brees/Rivers........

Not sure what to say to that.....

I don't think the money matters as Glennon can be booted after this year...and the Bears still have 24M in cap this year......

The best case scenario is that Trubisky looks like an NFL QB, the Bears realize it and start him sooner rather than later and he works out. Glennon would be gone next year.....I don't see anyone trading for Glennon's salary/backup role.

I think Glennon did serve a purpose as insurance for this year on getting a QB. I'd rather have Glennon than Hoyer. Neither will get the Bears to the playoffs, but at least with Glennon there is a slight air of mystery that he could get better than Hoyer.

I was fine with the Bears signing Glennon as long as they got Kizer/Trubisky/Watson.

Everyone knew that the Bears were getting a new QB this offseason. After they signed Glennon many believed the Bears would wait til the later rounds to get a QB. I was still in the camp of hoping a round 1 or 2 selection of one of the top 3 candidates (at least in my opinion) would be selected.

I think the Bears want to be able to say at the end of this season "we thank Mike Glennon for his leadership but we are releasing him to seek other opportunities with a different team and wish him nothing but the best."

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When they are drafted, they have 0 pass attempts.

A completely healthy QB who was highly recruited to be a top 5 pick who was sitting behind a probowl QB would still be that same QB 2 years later. What has changed other than he is now 24?

Do you think if the Colts drafted Luck and Manning stayed with the team, he wouldn't be worth a 1st round pick 2 years later?

For one thing his contract. If rookie that sits for 2 years and then is traded to a new team. His new team only has 2 years to evaluate him before they have to offer a big contract. If you figure it takes 2 years on the field before a QB to get comfortable with the NFL speed, playbooks, different looks, and NFL defenses. then those 2 years really are a lot more valuable then you seem to realize. Even though he was in a system for 2 years once he goes to a new team he has to start all over with new coaches, philosophes, playbooks, system, and training plans. I really think sitting on the bench is not nearly as valuable as a lot of people think it is.

Also your Luck / Manning example is crazy! A more realistic example would of been ... Do you think if the Colts drafted Luck and Painter stayed with the team, he wouldn't be worth a 1st round pick 2 years later?
You are suggesting the trade value of Trubisky if he can not win a job from a backup QB and not the trade value of Trubisky if he can not win the job from a HOF QB who played his entire career with the team that drafted him.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's gonna happen sooner than most believe. Glennon's not cut out for this competition. Just my opinion. Anyways, who's not scared of the Bears messing with Mr. Biscuit's footwork and mechanics. It's like a bicycle mechanic working on a Lotus. Better to get him out there playing.

Take it from Trubisky himself:

"I’m a nasty competitor so I’m going to try and win at all costs."

Get to to know @Mtrubisky10. #MeetTheRookies
��: chgobrs.com/2sOqdIx

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I remember when the Bucs drafted Steve Young #1 overall in the 1984 supplemental draft. Much like Andrew Luck, Steve Young was thought to be a WAY better pro prospect than Mitchell Trubisky. Young actually played for two years, then the Niners acquired him from the Bucs for a 2nd round and a 4th round draft pick.

So you have one of the top QB prospects of his generation playing in the NFL for two years, and getting swapped for a 2nd/4th package. Didshe insists in absolute terms that Mitch Trubisky can sit on the bench for two years behind Mike Glennon, and command something greater than the #2 overall pick on the open market.

Speechless would be an understatement here.

1. If Trubisky cannot beat out Glennon for 2 years his value will have decreased significantly. Not held steady, not increased, but for sure gone down.

2. There is no way outside of a Glennon Pro Bowl season that Trubisky does not replace him. If for some reason Glennon is the NFL MVP, then I do not care what happens to Trubisky.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Glennon has an MVP season, then that would almost ensure Trubisky replacing him. When his contract expires Glennon will be deemed "too expensive" by Ryan Pace, sign with the Packers to replace a retiring Aaron Rodgers, and beat the Bears 20 times in a row while Ryan Pace has used the "Glennon money" to get Danny Trevathan that $52M contract extension.

Come on, I have to call shenanigans, don't you think? If Glennon has an MVP year and yes this is clearly irrational, no GM in the league lets the guy walk. Period.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I remember when the Bucs drafted Steve Young #1 overall in the 1984 supplemental draft. Much like Andrew Luck, Steve Young was thought to be a WAY better pro prospect than Mitchell Trubisky. Young actually played for two years, then the Niners acquired him from the Bucs for a 2nd round and a 4th round draft pick.

So you have one of the top QB prospects of his generation playing in the NFL for two years, and getting swapped for a 2nd/4th package. Didshe insists in absolute terms that Mitch Trubisky can sit on the bench for two years behind Mike Glennon, and command something greater than the #2 overall pick on the open market.

Speechless would be an understatement here.

Why the hell are we looking back at 1984 when just a little while back we saw Sam fucking Bradford go for a first round pick. Sam Bradford. Hell, people are talking about garropolo going for a first round pick. You sound just as stupid as the people dwelling on the 85 Bears. Live in the now.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Why the hell are we looking back at 1984 when just a little while back we saw Sam fucking Bradford go for a first round pick. Sam Bradford. Hell, people are talking about garropolo going for a first round pick. You sound just as stupid as the people dwelling on the 85 Bears. Live in the now.

And we now come full circle:

Now all Pace has to do is wait for a playoff caliber team to have their starting QB have a gruesome injury to force their GM to make a panic trade. Solid strategy

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Sam Bradford and Jimmy G both actually played in NFL regular season games. Jimmy G is blocked by one of the top 2-3 greatest QBs to ever play the game. They are not applicable to this situation in regards to Trubisky because the hypothetical is A. Trubisky not playing(Bradford and Jimmy G both have) and B. Trubisky not playing because he can't beat out Mike Glennon(not Tom Brady)

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Sam Bradford and Jimmy G both actually played in NFL regular season games. Jimmy G is blocked by one of the top 2-3 greatest QBs to ever play the game. They are not applicable to this situation in regards to Trubisky because the hypothetical is A. Trubisky not playing(Bradford and Jimmy G both have) and B. Trubisky not playing because he can't beat out Mike Glennon(not Tom Brady)

The fuck are we even talking about? Are you saying the sam bradford trade is less relevant than a trade that occurred in 1984?

All I am saying is that if Glennon plays DECENTLY (doesn't have to be an all-star) and gets beat out by Trubisky mid season then he could be worth something. What did Bradford do in any of his NFL playing time to warrant a team trading a fist round pick for him? What did Osweiler do to warrant a team signing him to a ludicrous contract? Jimmy G didn't even finish 2 NFL games and you mean to tell me that because he plays behind Tom Brady he would be worthy of a 1st round pick? For all we know Jimmy G could be terrible. People are willing to overpay for a starting QB, not only are the previous players examples but just look at the Chiefs and Texans trading 1st round picks to take a shot at mediocre talent (according to some NFL scouts).

If Glennon shows he can be a decent then is it really out of the realm of possibility that one of the Jets, 49ers, Texans, Browns, or the Bills be could be willing to give up a Mid round pick for him? And yes heaven forbid a starting QB gets injured which, gasp, actually happens pretty frequently in the NFL, then at some miraculous longshot a team may be willing to give up a mid round pick for Glennon if he looks decent.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The fuck are we even talking about? Are you saying the sam bradford trade is less relevant than a trade that occurred in 1984?
We are saying didshe has zero leg to stand on with his statements both from recent history and long ago history.

That's it.

Pretty simple.

All I am saying is that if Glennon plays DECENTLY (doesn't have to be an all-star) and gets beat out by Trubisky mid season then he could be worth something. What did Bradford do in any of his NFL playing time to warrant a team trading a fist round pick for him? What did Osweiler do to warrant a team signing him to a ludicrous contract? Jimmy G didn't even finish 2 NFL games and you mean to tell me that because he plays behind Tom Brady he would be worthy of a 1st round pick? For all we know Jimmy G could be terrible. People are willing to overpay for a starting QB, not only are the previous players examples but just look at the Chiefs and Texans trading 1st round picks to take a shot at mediocre talent (according to some NFL scouts).

If Glennon shows he can be a decent then is it really out of the realm of possibility that one of the Jets, 49ers, Texans, Browns, or the Bills be could be willing to give up a Mid round pick for him?
No one is talking about the trade value of Mike Glennon.

You don't even know what the conversation is about.

Stop talking.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Sooooo these shitty points such as that of a trade made in 1984 is only valid when arguing with a specific person. Got it :obama:

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What did Bradford do in any of his NFL playing time to warrant a team trading a fist round pick for him?

He was on a team that traded up to the #2 pick to get a QB and the team that traded for him just lost their starting QB to a gruesome injury that could potentially take two years to fully recover from???

You are acting as if Minnesota gave up a first round pick for Bradford based off his endless potential or his eye popping stats (that's sarcasm if you didn't pick up on it)...Minnesota just came off an 11-5 season when they won the division, had a defense that was 5th in points scored against and 13th in yards against. Them giving up a 1st round pick for Bradford was less about Bradford and more on getting a QB that could play efficient enough to build off of the previous season.

So stop using this outlier as evidence that Glennon could possibly receive anything more than a 4th round pick...and even a pick that high would require strong play for more than a few games.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He was on a team that traded up to the #2 pick to get a QB and the team that traded for him just lost their starting QB to a gruesome injury that could potentially take two years to fully recover from???

You are acting as if Minnesota gave up a first round pick for Bradford based off his endless potential or his eye popping stats (that's sarcasm if you didn't pick up on it)...Minnesota just came of an 11-5 season when they won the division, had a defense that was 5th in points scored against and 13th in yards against. Them giving up a 1st round pick for Bradford was less about Bradford and more on getting a QB that could play efficient enough to build off of the previous season.

So stop using this outlier as evidence that Glennon could possibly receive anything more than a 4th round pick...and even a pick that high would require strong play for more than a few games.

GLennon was a mistake and not worth the money. PEriod.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
GLennon was a mistake and not worth the money. PEriod.

Not a mistake, just an expensive insurance plan...and like most insurance plans you hope you don't have to use it but are glad you paid for one if you do.