Goodbye Jay Cutler Mock Offseason

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
If the premise that Mariotta is an accurate cerebral QB is accurate than I am all for this. I also really like the Nate Orchard pick, his team had a very very good defense and he was a big key to that. Montana did not have a really strong arm but his accuracy, guts and smarts made a one of the best QB's of all time. If Mariotta has those qualities they bears should make every reasonable effort to get him. I also agree that Pace is sold on getting a Brees type of player for his QB. Again if Mariotta does fit that bill then Pace will very likely be hot on his trail.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Get the kid from Colorado State. Sit him. Cut Cutler after next season.

Profit.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
If the premise that Mariotta is an accurate cerebral QB is accurate than I am all for this. I also really like the Nate Orchard pick, his team had a very very good defense and he was a big key to that. Montana did not have a really strong arm but his accuracy, guts and smarts made a one of the best QB's of all time. If Mariotta has those qualities they bears should make every reasonable effort to get him. I also agree that Pace is sold on getting a Brees type of player for his QB. Again if Mariotta does fit that bill then Pace will very likely be hot on his trail.

I don't think he does, not yet anyway.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When did Mariota become accurate? He made a living off of wide open throws and was exposed against the Buckeyes. How do you know what Paces likes in a QB since DREEBREES WAS A FREE AGENT AND PACE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH F.A . Why would we bring in Mccown when a younger better Clausen is already here?

I like your facts.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
suntimes has jeffrey agent looking for a 6 year 70 mil contract

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I may have to recant my earlier comment... ESPN beeped into my phone a few ago, mentioned that Fox talked to Jay today. Fox came out of the meeting and while he didn't say anything negative about Jay, he didn't say anything positive either and in fact commented that the Bears were not pressed up against a deadline at the moment and will take all the time necessary to evaluate Jay.

Fascinating.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Sign Matt Moore to a two year deal. Next year, cut Cutler and draft Hackenberg. Then, let Hackenberg and Moore battle it out.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When did Mariota become accurate? He made a living off of wide open throws and was exposed against the Buckeyes. How do you know what Paces likes in a QB since DREEBREES WAS A FREE AGENT AND PACE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH F.A . Why would we bring in Mccown when a younger better Clausen is already here?

1. Pace gushed about Brees in his intro press conference and the impact he had on the Saints.

2. Pace came up through the Saints organization on the Pro Side.

"Prior to becoming Director of Pro Scouting, Pace served as a Pro Scout from 2004-06, with his efforts including evaluating veteran free agents,"

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/staff/ryan-pace/5cd77f69-e394-4826-b7e4-f634b1a2733a

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Personally.

I would wait on drafting a QB till next season.

But it did not seem like Fox or Pace were as interested in having Jay around next season.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Too ADHD to read all of it.

Re: current roster guys:

Don't have issue with any of it, but Zach Miller and Sharpton can't stay healthy.

Need a BIG upgrade at back up tight end over Rosario Dawson.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Figured I would post this here as it relates to Mariota. Obviously a lot of smokescreens being thrown around this time of year but sounds like the Titans are going QB #2.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ssee-titans-sound-primed-to-pick-a-qb-at-no-2

INDIANAPOLIS -- It sure sounds like the Tennessee Titans are thinking about a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick.

Both coach Ken Whisenhunt and general manager Ruston Webster acknowledged Wednesday the team will spend plenty of time with prospects Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota in the lead up to April's selection process.

"That's really square one for everybody, finding that quarterback," Webster said, adding: "We're in a good position that way (with the draft)."

Webster told reporters that the Titans "like" Zach Mettenberger under center, but said he isn't ready to settle on the strong-armed passer as his starter for 2015.

"We're not in a position to commit to anything," Webster said. "(Zach) knows we like him, he knows we value him, and we'll just kind of go from there."

Asked about the prospect of re-signing the injury-prone Jake Locker, Webster was hazy -- "We'll see," he said -- making it clear that the former first-round pick is not a priority in Tennessee.

Whisenhunt said the team could also go defense up top if a J.J. Watt-level talent emerged from the wilderness, but Tennessee's brain trust repeatedly talked about the No. 2 pick as a rare opportunity to bring much-needed stability under center.

"Zach did a lot of good things for us last year," Whisenhunt said. "But with the way the year went last year, and where we are in the draft -- and with the guys that are coming out -- you have to put your time in and figure it out."

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
how-i-met-your-mother-barney-why.gif

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

LAKE FOREST, Ill. — The first pass Drew Brees threw as a member of the Saints had Ryan Pace worried.

It was the summer of 2006, a few months after the Saints had signed Brees to a 6-year, $60 million contract. At the time, the signing was somewhat risky, as Brees was coming off a significant shoulder injury. In fact, the shoulder prevented Brees from throwing during the team’s OTAs and mini-camp, so the first time Pace and the rest of the Saints’ personnel department got to see the quarterback throw was at training camp.

“We’re at Millsaps (College) in Jackson, (Miss),” Pace recalled. “Here’s Drew’s first throw, right. He drops back on a little 5-yard out, and he skips it off the ground. We all look at each other like, ‘Oh man.’ But that guy’s work ethic, he progressed right through that and obviously, hey, he led us to a championship.”

That was back when Pace was a pro scout for the Saints. His work on Brees was one of the reasons why he was promoted to Director of Pro Scouting a year later and eventually to Director of Player Personnel, working as the right-hand man to general manager Mickey Loomis and head coach Sean Payton.

http://wgnplus.com/2015/01/09/10-bears-things-what-you-need-to-know-as-ryan-pace-takes-over-as-gm/

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Clausen is not under contract FWIW either, nor is he a better backup than McCown.

So trade/cut Cutler and the Bears are tanking 2015. Who cares who the QB is, McCown could do for the Bears what he did for the Bucs, 2 wins first pick. Do you guys think Clausen is too good and will kill the Bears draft order, or he is so bad the bears won't get 2 wins?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Personally.

I would wait on drafting a QB till next season.

But it did not seem like Fox or Pace were as interested in having Jay around next season.

lol

Reactions: 1ke

NE.Rugger

Liked Posts:
Free agent QB: Not huge on bringing back McCown and expecting him to play like 2013. Much rather roll with Clausen or even nab a guy like McCoy, Ponder, or even Sanchez. See what Fales can bring to the table.

Draft QB: Not sold on either Winston nor Mariota as NFL QBs and definitely not to trade up for. I'd rather look to trade back in the first/trade up in the second if we could find the right partner and look to land Hundley.
Dupree (assuming Williams and Gregory are gone) is probably my favorite in the first followed by Fowler and the other edge rushers and OTs.

None of these names have me stoaked for the 2015 season, but I'd rather see us build up the rest of the team than pick up a QB at the top just cuz we need one.