Gray, Appel, or Bryant?

patg006

Liked Posts:
What if....

Houston takes Moran
Cubs take Gray
Appel gets taken by the Rockies!

Would that knock Boras down a peg with athletes looking for representation? Appel would have gone top 3 last year if Scott Boras wasn't his agent, and if he falls to the Rockies, a pitcher's worst nightmare, Boras has to take the hit... Right?

I get what you're saying, but I'd be pissed. Appel is the best pitcher in this draft; and passing on him just to "stick it" to a jagoff agent (who gets the job done, Ill give him credit) is the wrong way to go about this. Draft Appel if hes there.....

chibears55

Liked Posts:
i think the astros will pass up on Appel because of the money situation and needing to spread it around with their other picks..

id love to see the cubs grab appel and have a decent looking rotation going at some point in 2014 with garza ( should extend), samardzija, wood, and appel..
jackson needs to get it going , i think at some point they will try and deal him in 2014 or in the 2014 off season..

BUT

it wouldnt shock me if they drafted bryant and go the route as BOO says, with him comeing up the ranks with soler and baez and strengthen the rotation via trade or FA..

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Meh, this could actually increase the odds the Stros take Gray since it might knock a few $$$ off the signing bonus. At worst I think this is neutral news as the Cubs will still have the choice of a very good prospect at 2 no matter what the outcome. I just think it increases the odds the Cubs go Bryant if Appel is taken.

Heisenberg

Run
Donator
Liked Posts:
Give me Appel

Any chance the Lastros take him before us?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Give me Appel

Any chance the Lastros take him before us?

Sure there is a chance. Appel is local, and would give them an impact arm that would be ready quickly. The only thing that probably prevents that is his agent is Boras, and he will probably wait to sign until the last moment. This ties up a ton of the team's draft money and so would really limit what they could do in rounds 2-10. Many experts have suggested that the Astros would try the same strategy they did last year which is get a guy to sign early and cheaper to be able to go overslot in rounds 2, 3, or more especially if a guy like Manaea slid down to them in the second round.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Bumping this bad boy up HA HA!!!

(Opens Orange Crush)

Tuggers

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Is it right Bryant hit 31 homers in 59 games but batted a pitiful .329?

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Is it right Bryant hit 31 homers in 59 games but batted a pitiful .329?

Since when has .329 been known as pitiful? College ball, sure, but still.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

And almost a .500 OBP and a 1.314 OPS. That's pretty stout at any level.

Sounds like hitting off of kids that can't pitch is what .329 shows. And yes in college .329 is pitiful. I would say lowest BA of any player drafted in the first two picks ever. Heck, first ten picks ever. Not sure, but that would be my guess. And lowest by at least .50 points

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like hitting off of kids that can't pitch is what .329 shows. And yes in college .329 is pitiful. I would say lowest BA of any player drafted in the first two picks ever. Heck, first ten picks ever. Not sure, but that would be my guess. And lowest by at least .50 points

If we are really gonna look at this as a bad pick because of his batting average then this is the most pointless sports discussion to date.

Willrust

Liked Posts:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gray was the clear choice.

The problem I have with the Epstein experiment, is if you want to recreate the Red Sox success, you don't hire a Red Sox fan. Epstein succeeded in part because of his passion and commitment to that team. Hire a smart cubs fan to recreate that magic.

Stupid move, stupid pick. Gray should have been #1, and it was lucky to have a chance at him. stupid

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gray was not over Appel. So, I dont know why you getting all up in arms. The Cubs board was Appel followed by Bryant. It was a bit of a shocker that Houston took Appel. A lot of experts said they would have rathered taken a position player over a pitcher with the first pick in this draft. I wanted Appel but once off the board I didnt mind Bryant. He is a polished player with plenty of room for growth.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

In college ball against weak opposition, .329 is pretty poor.

There were at least 250 college players who had a higher average this year and many of them against better competition.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
In college ball against weak opposition, .329 is pretty poor.

There were at least 250 college players who had a higher average this year and many of them against better competition.

He had more homeruns than 200 teams in college baseball.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Evan Longoria hit .320 his Sophomore season and .353 for his Junior year.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=Evan-Longoria

.353 is a fairly significant improvement over .329 and Longoria did it against much better competition. The 2006 Cal State Fullerton team in that conference had TEN pitchers drafted. UC Irvine had NINE pitchers drafted. Cal Poly had TEN pitchers drafted. UC Riverside had EIGHT pitchers drafted and the other teams in that conference all had multiple pitchers drafted.