Greg Cosell article on Cutler situation

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Thats true, but wouldnt you think if a QB was "fixed" they would score more points?..Cutler passes for a lot of yards as well, and no one that I know considers him fixed

Yes but his QB in Detroit was Kitna so there is obviously limitations. The same goes for the crop in SF. Cutler was the only legitimately talented option he had to work with post rams days.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes but his QB in Detroit was Kitna so there is obviously limitations. The same goes for the crop in SF. Cutler was the only legitimately talented option he had to work with post rams days.

OK..lets go there

Cutlers last year in Denver he passed for 4500 yards

Under Martz in Chicago he passed for 3200, and 2300, although in 2011 he missed part of the season

He passed for 3600 his first year in Chicago without Martz

Cutler did better in Denver than he did under Martz

I just dont believe Martz was anything special outside of the perfect storm he had in St Louis

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
OK..lets go there

Under Martz he passed for 3200, and 2300, although in 2011 he missed part of the season

I just dont believe Martz was anything special outside of the perfect storm he had in St Louis

The year before Martz Cutler thew 26 interceptions. The first year with Martz the Bears made the NFC champ game. Look at how many times he threw the ball on Denver to get those yards. The second year in Martz system Cutler was probably playing the best ball he had in terms of winning football up until his injury.

I also wouldn't use Cutler as an indicator of success for an OC because he seems to block out coaching evidenced by his never improved mechanics despite working with coordinators who stress such things.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The year before Martz Cutler thew 26 interceptions. The first year with Martz the Bears made the NFC champ game. Look at how many times he threw the ball on Denver to get those yards. The second year in Martz system Cutler was probably playing the best ball he had in terms of winning football up until his injury.

I also wouldn't use Cutler as an indicator of success for an OC because he seems to block out coaching evidenced by his never improved mechanics despite working with coordinators who stress such things.

Now wait a minute...didnt you just say that fixing a QB is different than fixing an offense?..If thats true, then going to the NFCG has nothing to do with the debate over Martz "fixing" qb's..Im just saying stats show he didnt fix anyone post the Rams

Also, you were fine with using Cutler as an example till I pointed out he did better without Martz..You cant have it both ways

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
OK..lets go there

Under Martz in Chicago he passed for 3200, and 2300, although in 2011 he missed part of the season

In Denver he had a good OL and receivers. Didn't have that under Martz. Just a good RB.

In his first year, 2009, he also had a lot of garbage time as well as the defense was rather bad and then somehow Cutler played lights out for the most part his final two games of the 2009 season.

Cutler missed 1.5 games in 2010 and a great portion of the season in 2006. He still was never putting up gaudy numbers though beyond Week 1. He relied on a good defense in 2010 and 2011 and therefore didn't need to put up a ton of yardage to win games. His best games those years his yardage is never anything to write home about.

In Denver, they did not have a great defense, they were doing a lot of short passes that accumulated a lot of yardage. Kind of like we saw this year.

On the surface of extremely simple stats and the fact in stating that Martz didn't fix Cutler, you're not wrong. But this whole issue is a hell lot more complex than you think. Cutler looked his best playing under Martz.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Scoot...Now you sound like a Cutler fanboy..Those excuses are the same ones used buy them to defend Cutler

That facts are clear..Martz didnt fix any QB's he coached..

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
OK..lets go there

Let's not forget he attempted half the amount of passes compared to 2008.

Even with the battering he took in 2010, he looked the most comfortable in the Martz offense as it progressed

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Scoot...Now you sound like a Cutler fanboy..Those excuses are the same ones used buy them to defend Cutler

That facts are clear..Martz didnt fix any QB's he coached..
I still think Cutler is crap and want him gone, I'm just stating his best days were under Martz, who knew what he was doing. He got Cutler to do things that he has since reverted back to not doing (And yes, Cutler still did those things even with Martz as one week his mechanics would be there then a few weeks later they're back to being the poorest of poor mechanics, thats just the fact of Jay Cutler), and Cutler's turnovers were down overall.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still think Cutler is crap and want him gone, I'm just stating his best days were under Martz, who knew what he was doing. He got Cutler to do things that he has since reverted back to not doing (And yes, Cutler still did those things even with Martz as one week his mechanics would be there then a few weeks later they're back to being the poorest of poor mechanics, thats just the fact of Jay Cutler), and Cutler's turnovers were down overall.

Yet the stats prove otherwise...And I can see this is turning into a Cutler thread, when the argument was about Martz...So Im done

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Yet the stats prove otherwise...And I can see this is turning into a Cutler thread, when the argument was about Martz...So Im done

How did a article about Cutler turn into a Martz situation? LOL!

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Well, maybe if you used the link that was posted earlier, you would see what he missed or didnt

Well..I'm talking about # of attempts

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im not into arguing about Cutler...Find someone else