Greg Gabriel Gives Some Inside Info. on Poles' Thinking

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Reading what some people here have been wishing for, I decided to post a video where Greg Gabriel talks about an important comment from Poles in regards to a free agent this year.

Some people have been all hard about getting the LT Orlando Brown from KC as a free agent to be the Bears' LT in 2023. I have been against this because I believe that he is not a scheme fit. Seeing that I am not a scout or in any way associated with an NFL team, my beliefs have been ignored.

Well, in the video, Greg Gabriel talks about when he specifically asked Poles at the East West Shrine Game about some offensive tackle that is one of the top LT free agent targets this year. Poles specifically said that this free agent OT, though one of the better OTs available in free agency, is not a fit for the Bears' scheme.

Greg Gabriel went on to say that that massive RT from Ohio State would not be on the Bears draft board. He also went on to say that any massive defensive two gap nose tackle would not be on the Bears draft board because neither would fit the Bears offensive or defensive schemes.

People need to understand that the Bears want to build their offensive and defensive lines with athletic linemen, hopefully with nasty play styles.

Here is the video.

Da Bears Oregon

Liked Posts:
Reading what some people here have been wishing for, I decided to post a video where Greg Gabriel talks about an important comment from Poles in regards to a free agent this year.

Some people have been all hard about getting the LT Orlando Brown from KC as a free agent to be the Bears' LT in 2023. I have been against this because I believe that he is not a scheme fit. Seeing that I am not a scout or in any way associated with an NFL team, my beliefs have been ignored.

Well, in the video, Greg Gabriel talks about when he specifically asked Poles at the East West Shrine Game about some offensive tackle that is one of the top LT free agent targets this year. Poles specifically said that this free agent OT, though one of the better OTs available in free agency, is not a fit for the Bears' scheme.

Greg Gabriel went on to say that that massive RT from Ohio State would not be on the Bears draft board. He also went on to say that any massive defensive two gap nose tackle would not be on the Bears draft board because neither would fit the Bears offensive or defensive schemes.

People need to understand that the Bears want to build their offensive and defensive lines with athletic linemen, hopefully with nasty play styles.

Here is the video.
Or Poles is blowing smoke….

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
I've been thinking the same as Gabriel about Tuli from USC. I think he'd be a Bears get if they can get back into the early second.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Will Anderson isn't a scheme fit either, so I guess we can forget that...
I know I'm on ignore but can anyone tell me why? I know he's projected as a 3/4 rush backer but this D has no problem with leaner edge guys that can get upfield.

All that said I suspect the Bear trade down further with 2 moves or a big one for more picks and will be out of range regardless. I prefer Carter who also isn't a perfect fit. It's not a bad situation if Poles can accumulate more early picks.

Last edited:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Gabriel isn't well respected on this board but he does seem to have a good takes but also some blunders like OT Chris Williams

People on this board are idiots. They so often talk about how some other CCS member's opinion is not valid because that poster does not have actual NFL scouting experience, yet they bad-mouth Gabriel who has a ton of scouting experience and who still has a ton of contacts in the NFL.

If I recall, the biggest thing they have on Gabriel is how he is an easy target for internet trolls.

That has nothing to do with his scouting ability. Gabriel falls for the trolls because he is an old man who cannot handle trolls. That is the same problem that most people of age have, they don't know how to deal with people who are mean to them and that is the name of the game on the internet, poking enough to get someone all riled up.

What I find funny is how some people will say that Greg Gabriel has been out of scouting for so long that he is not up to date with what is important today. Maybe in some general way people might be right, though scouting what makes a good lineman or WR should not have changed at all. What is hilarious is the belief that Gabriel would not know exactly what the defense needs because it is almost a carbon copy of the Lovie defense which Gabriel was the top scout when the defense was being built.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I know I'm on ignore but can anyone tell me why?

He's more of an OLB than a DE even though in the modern NFL that is changing as more teams moves to a hybrid system to work with your players strengths. Eberflus most likely only a temporary coach for the Bears anyway like Lovie was with the Texans so I say worry about getting talented players you can work with than worry too much about scheme.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's more of an OLB than a DE even though in the modern NFL that is changing as more teams moves to a hybrid system to work with your players strengths. Eberflus most likely only a temporary coach for the Bears anyway like Lovie was with the Texans so I say worry about getting talented players you can work with than worry too much about scheme.
Scheme matters but he's versatile.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I know I'm on ignore but can anyone tell me why? I know he's projected as a 3/4 rush backer but this D has no problem with leaner edge guys that can get upfield.

All that said I suspect the Bear trade down further with 2 moves or a big one for more picks and will be out of range regardless. I prefer Carter who also isn't a perfect fit. It's not a bad situation if Poles can accumulate more early picks.

Carter is a perfect fit in this system. Why do you think he isn't?

Who are the leaner guys in this D that can get upfield?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Excellent post OP and it shows us all how little that we actually know about football and personnel.

Interesting point about the Bears looking for athletic OTs, makes sense they don't need a gigantic nose guard but I didn't know they were looking for athleticism with both tackles. Also a good point about Borom not being a scheme fit at all.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Carter is a perfect fit in this system. Why do you think he isn't?

Who are the leaner guys in this D that can get upfield?
WOW. This isn't a pure C2 but it' about the edge getting upfield and turning the corner quickly. Not bulk at the edge. Same for the T. Carter would be fine because he'll move the pocket back but he's not the quick twitch low penetrator that splits a gap before he can be defended. He simply overpowers which makes him viable for any D but he's not a typical 3 tech as he's a little deliberate off the ball. He has all the tools and then some but you'd want to see a star 3 tech obviously be the 1st guy off the snap. None of these guys are perfect but I happily take my chances with either of those 2. I just don't think they're in our future here and I won't lament not drafting them as much as some others.

That said, Carter will be great in any system simply because he's a great FB player.

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Here is the video.
So any team that wants to know what players Poles is or isn't interested in in free agency or the draft can just listen to anything he says in the offseason interviews.........SMART. SMDH

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
WOW. This isn't a pure C2 but it' about the edge getting upfield and turning the corner quickly. Not bulk at the edge. Same for the T. Carter would be fine because he'll move the pocket back but he's not the quick twitch low penetrator that splits a gap before he can be defended. He simply overpowers which makes him viable for any D but he's not a typical 3 tech as he's a little deliberate off the ball. He has all the tools and then some but you'd want to see a star 3 tech obviously be the 1st guy off the snap. None of these guys are perfect but I happily take my chances with either of those 2. I just don't think they're in our future here and I won't lament not drafting them as much as some others.

That said, Carter will be great in any system simply because he's a great FB player.

You have to be trolling right? I'm so confused at each one of your posts.

he's not the quick twitch

Every NFL evaluation has him as a quick twitch high level athlete for a 3 technique. Jalen Carter is a quick twitch and powerful DT who owns the speed to puncture the pocket.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yes, he is a master of blowing smoke. He is so good at it that he drafted offensive linemen in 2022 that matched the exact athletic profile just so he could fool people in 2023 to be able to get Orlando Brown in free agency of 2023

Did he mention Peter Skoronski in the video?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You have to be trolling right? I'm so confused at each one of your posts.

Every NFL evaluation has him as a quick twitch high level athlete for a 3 technique. Jalen Carter is a quick twitch and powerful DT who owns the speed to puncture the pocket.

Nobody said he wouldn't be a great player in any system. He's not a prototypical elite 3-tech that avoids the 1st block with quick twitch and getting off the ball 1st. Never said he lacked twitch but that's not his calling card. He's clearly not slow off the snap but it's not what makes him special. I've already said he'd be my pick if we had to stay at 1. It's not all as black or white as you'd prefer it to be. Don't know what more you need here. The point is an extension of the Anderson not being a fit where I said some guys transcend scheme. Other don't. These 2 do, whether they are prototypical for the positions or not.

Yes he's a special player.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Lol. How do you know Flus is a temp coach?

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Lol. How do you know Flus is a temp coach?

Just what I think I didn't say I know Flus is temporary. Most defensive head coaches don't last long but they seem almost necessary in the starting phase of a rebuild.