Guess the players......

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If Rizzo is still hitting .250 at age 27 then we have problems.

Talking about this in his sophomore year at 23 YO...wow.

He is not a top caliber talent. We get that part but we do not know what his ceiling is yet. By 27 we should know and if he hasn't made adjustments he probley will not last that long.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But I agree with him hitting #3 KB. Schierholtz should be hitting #3 and Rizzo hitting #5. The numbers show this.

I hope Dale get his cock out of his keester and adjusts the line up again as he did with Castro. Castro responded to it today.

Also I believe that Rizzo is a streaky hitter. Started cold, got hot then in a cold streak again. Too early to tell if this is what it is or is this just a sophomore slump.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
but there is no fucking way that player A would receive a 1000% raise while player B, with the exact same stats, would receive a 0% increase in pay!

Um, yeah there is.

Ryan Howard went from 900k to 10M in one offseason because of arbitration because he had a near MVP season.

The money a player makes however does not matter one bit in regards to the stats he produces for the team.

When 35 HR's count more for a player because he makes less money than another player hitting the same amount of HR's then you can run your mouth. Until then you are just wasting everyone's time as usual.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
But I agree with him hitting #3 KB. Schierholtz should be hitting #3 and Rizzo hitting #5. The numbers show this.

I hope Dale get his cock out of his keester and adjusts the line up again as he did with Castro. Castro responded to it today.

Also I believe that Rizzo is a streaky hitter. Started cold, got hot then in a cold streak again. Too early to tell if this is what it is or is this just a sophomore slump.

How sad is the Cubs team if you have to drop Rizzo to 5th in the line-up, and Castro to 7th or 8th because they are not hitting? Your two franchise players so-to-speak are one step away from possibly being sent back to the minors to work and adjust things.

And people actually think that it is a bad time to invest in some much needed free agents? WOW!

How about giving these guys something around them so their performances are not magnified ten times over because they are the supposed bright spots on a stink-hole of a team?

AmericanFlyer1

Liked Posts:
Let me know when HR's and RBI's per dollar earned is a stat also.

THAT is why it doesn't matter what the players make. There is no salary cap in baseball.

The only people that salary should matter to are the team, the player, and the agent. Possibly the family of the player and agent. Other than that, who gives a rats ass??

Would I pay a guy with Rizzo's stats right now $20 million a year? No. Would I for Cabrera? Certainly.

But that is not the point of the thread. Face it...a few of you can't stand that a supposed "major piece of the puzzle" is sucking. Go figure. And another, Castro, is as well.
Since some of you cannot admit that this team is garbage and these "supposed pieces" are garbage, you just argue semantics.

And just so this is not considered all negative, I am surprised by the performance (so far) of:
Nate Schierholtz

For a guy that has been platooned this year, his play has been well above expected.

But I guess this is what this management wanted; lightning in a bottle. Curious to see if it continues.

AmericanFlyer1

Liked Posts:
How sad is the Cubs team if you have to drop Rizzo to 5th in the line-up, and Castro to 7th or 8th because they are not hitting? Your two franchise players so-to-speak are one step away from possibly being sent back to the minors to work and adjust things.

And people actually think that it is a bad time to invest in some much needed free agents? WOW!

How about giving these guys something around them so their performances are not magnified ten times over because they are the supposed bright spots on a stink-hole of a team?

Because that would cost money and in keeping with the "creating revenue" goals of this owner and management. When they are serious about creating revenue, they will field somewhat of a resemblance of a team because that is when revenue will be coming in. Until then, they need other ways because they don't want to spend anything to get it.

kchicub08

Liked Posts:
Wrigleyville Rooftops is practically begging me to come back this year by offering buy one slot get one free...

The pathetic product on the field is catching up with all.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Hitters going into slumps is pretty common. But yes if you have more overall talent in the line up then one player going into a slump can be made up by the overall strength of the line up.

One way if tossing money at the problem. Any one with a shred of common sense should know that this is not going to happen.

The solution that ownership is looking for is in house but they are willing to invest into short term solutions as long as they can be turned over into more cost effective options.

To be perfectly honest and looking on what has been happening. Winning is not the goal right now. If it was then ownership would have given Theo more payroll to work with.

What has been done with payroll: Spent on short term players who were looking to increase their value in that deal.

Feldman: 1 year deal trying to establish himself as a starter again.
Villenueva: As above.
Baker: Coming off T.J. Needed to establish himself again or be paid rehab at least.
Schierholtz: Career 4th OF given a chance to start.
Dejesus: 2 plus option. Wife grew up here and was a Cub fan. Needed to bounce back after poor production in Oak.
Hairston: Surprised he took the short end of a platoon. Market must have been bad for him.

In general 1 or 2 of these players on the team is not a bad thing. But not the team core.

So in view of this the main goal is fielding a team that keeps the fan base coming in. (IE the goal is a W.S. every year is a bunch of crap to keep the cash cow flowing)

Ownership is using those generated profits to rebuild the stadium. And build a jumbo-tron that will basically be a digital ad space that they can sell time share to business.

So in view of this. I expect the Cubs to suck not this year but next year also.

Next year: They could open up RF. Doubt they bother. Most likely scenario: Soler plays out the year in AA. They trade out Schierholtz this year and back fill with Sweeney. Status que with Hairston. Little trade value.

CF: Can cash out with Dejesus or pull option. They have Borbon. Jackson sucks and has not forced anything. Szczur has been playing at a high level at AA I expect them to promote him to AAA soon. I can see hm in CF in 2014 late year.

LF: I see Sori playing out the term of his deal. Don't have to worry about it until 2015.

3B: Big question will be how long will they make Bryant sit in the minors.

SS: Status que.

2B: as above.

1B as above

C as above. Back up maybe sold.

SP: Feldman sold, Garza sold. I don't see them retaining here to be honest. They are playing the waiting game. I expect them to go into 2014 with Shark, Wood and Jackson as 1-3. 4/5 I can see Baker resigned to another 1 year deal. last spot probable another flip. Hughes maybe. I don't see a heavy investment.

To be perfectly honest I could stop following the Cubs for 1-2 years and be better off for it. The way the business is being run it is unwatchable.

AmericanFlyer1

Liked Posts:
Um, yeah there is.

Ryan Howard went from 900k to 10M in one offseason because of arbitration because he had a near MVP season.

The money a player makes however does not matter one bit in regards to the stats he produces for the team.

When 35 HR's count more for a player because he makes less money than another player hitting the same amount of HR's then you can run your mouth. Until then you are just wasting everyone's time as usual.

I think he likes trying to be the smartest dumb kid. :parrot:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
But that is not the point of the thread. Face it...a few of you can't stand that a supposed "major piece of the puzzle" is sucking. Go figure. And another, Castro, is as well.
Since some of you cannot admit that this team is garbage and these "supposed pieces" are garbage, you just argue semantics.

Exactly.

Some idiots can't face reality that the two biggest building blocks on the team are severely underperforming.

Add to it that I am the one pointing out the REALITY of the situation, and it causes a temper tantrum/cry fest of epic proportions.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Exactly.

Some idiots can't face reality that the two biggest building blocks on the team are severely underperforming.

Add to it that I am the one pointing out the REALITY of the situation, and it causes a temper tantrum/cry fest of epic proportions.

Really... It sounds like more haven't faced the reality that this teams ability doesn't matter at this stage.

Even spending more money to try to be decent would take off the likely upped fan revenue because of the poor level of their collective talent.

Sent from Neverwhere using Taptalk

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Really... It sounds like more haven't faced the reality that this teams ability doesn't matter at this stage.

Really... Dumb.

This is professional sports and a major market, enormous revenue team. Every stage matters and every year matters.

The way some idiots talk, you would think the Cubs are working with a AA budget competing against teams with 10 times the resources.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Really... Dumb.

This is professional sports and a major market, enormous revenue team. Every stage matters and every year matters.

The way some idiots talk, you would think the Cubs are working with a AA budget competing against teams with 10 times the resources.

Yes a major market that's still producing for them to be able to coupe expenses.

Every year doesn't matter in the same way. It seems like people don't want to grasp some perspective of the situation.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yes a major market that's still producing for them to be able to coupe expenses.

Every year doesn't matter in the same way. It seems like people don't want to grasp some perspective of the situation.

Then again, fans don't want the management and ownership to mail in seasons either.

Then again, if Theo has his way, the Cubs will be under a perpetual rebuild. That's what he desired in Boston, but ownership wouldn't allow it.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

They are raking in money hand over fist. Most profitable team in baseball last year. Only a complete moron thinks they are short of money.

Actually every year does matter in the same way.

It seems like people don't want to grasp how dumb they are or how badly they are being conned.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

wow...Need to play the lottery.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...tebook_id=50634040&vkey=notebook_chc&c_id=chc

NEW YORK -- Cubs manager Dale Sveum acknowledged that it might only be two spots in the batting order, but he still hopes it might help Anthony Rizzo at the plate.

Sveum dropped Rizzo to fifth in Chicago's lineup against the Mets on Friday and put right fielder Nate Schierholtz in the third spot. By flipping Schierholtz and Rizzo in the lineup, Sveum has his hottest hitter higher in the order, while also taking some of the pressure off Rizzo, who's average stood at .243 entering Friday.

"I'm just kind of mixing it up. Right now, you could see, he's our best hitter, swinging the bat as good as anybody from the left side," Sveum said of Schierholtz, who belted a homer in his first at-bat Friday. "And just kind of put Rizzo down a little bit to let him kick back a little bit in a different spot and just see what happens."

Rizzo was hitless in his previous two games, and he went 2-for-23 during the Cubs' last homestand. He did have eight walks.

Schierholtz, though, went 6-for-16 (.375) with a home run, triple and four runs scored during the seven-game homestand.

While Rizzo has shown he can be a streaky hitter, Sveum said that's certainly not out of the ordinary for most players.

"You have certain guys -- most of those guys end up going to the Hall of Fame -- that are that guy pretty much their whole career," Sveum said. "The rest of us, or the rest of baseball, can be pretty streaky."

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
They are raking in money hand over fist. Most profitable team in baseball last year. Only a complete moron thinks they are short of money.

Actually every year does matter in the same way.

It seems like people don't want to grasp how dumb they are or how badly they are being conned.

My point is that they're making money, which is why people saying they should spend money to make money doesn't make sense. The whole point is in making the team pay for itself.

I don't see any conning in this except on those who feel they ought to get something. It's a sports team, if you're not liking something enough to feel screwed over you're making yourself a fool it you could just realize it's entertainment, sucking or not.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My point is that they're making money, which is why people saying they should spend money to make money doesn't make sense. The whole point is in making the team pay for itself.

What they are doing is finding ways to increase revenues and with those revenues they are "saying" payroll can be increased.

So in a nutshell: They are not going to reduce profits to increase payroll.

To be this all sounds bunk: They are investing into cheaper resource (farm system vs F/A) then investing into more revenues. So this usually means make more money and spend less with cheaper talent upwelling vs having to dump out mega's on 29-31 YO's. Even their own (See Brewers and Fielder for ref)

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

Huh??

They were the most profitable team in the sport last year.

The team IS paying for itself already.

I don't see any conning in this except on those who feel they ought to get something. It's a sports team, if you're not liking something enough to feel screwed over you're making yourself a fool it you could just realize it's entertainment, sucking or not.

Huh??

So it is acceptable for the team to suck because it is entertainment??

Really??

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Let me know when on-pace is considered a stat.

Ummm... it is just the current production weighted to 162 games... the difference would still be there regardless...