Hawks Broadcaster Tryout Thread

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's a false premise in the world, that the way to go from Old to Young is like ripping off a band-aid.

What you end up with are younger adults doing jobs without the guidance of experienced hands to give them the foundations they need to be successful.

I'd like to have seen youth come in and do their tryouts working with Edzo and Foley the last 4-5 years.

I also think they got rid of talented people like Suzanne Collins when she said the word "sex" mistakenly instead of "success" and was fired for it.

I think we all forget how much talent has been drained out of our society's work pool by our strangely Puritan Twitter overlords.

Can't be on TV unless you've never said anything you shouldn't have said.
Pales in comparison to the percent that have now opted themselves out because they want no part of it.

Granada

Liked Posts:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, did not see this coming: Sources: Darren Pang leaving Blues to join Blackhawks booth

I'll take it. No more Colby = fucking win. Always liked Panger and he's an ex-Blackhawk, although I am worried that the chemistry he'll have with Vosters will make me want to puke. Both seem like overly-friendly guys.

Now they just need to replace Vosters, lol. And Chelios.

I'm guessing they probably will be adding a Chelios, not dumping one. I thought towards the end of the season Vosters and Sharpie were much improved but it now looks like Sharp will be going national as Keith Jones' replacement. It looks like Chris and Panger will rotate much like Sharp and Murray did last year. Jury is out on how that will work out. I really don't care who is in the Pre/Post game and between period stuff....I rarely watch them. The only thing good about all of this is that Troy can go back to his regular seat next to Weiderman.......oh, yeah....and Cohen is finally out!!

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'm guessing they probably will be adding a Chelios, not dumping one. I thought towards the end of the season Vosters and Sharpie were much improved but it now looks like Sharp will be going national as Keith Jones' replacement. It looks like Chris and Panger will rotate much like Sharp and Murray did last year. Jury is out on how that will work out. I really don't care who is in the Pre/Post game and between period stuff....I rarely watch them. The only thing good about all of this is that Troy can go back to his regular seat next to Weiderman.......oh, yeah....and Cohen is finally out!!
Ugh, is the Chris Chelios thing confirmed? I googled it briefly but haven't seen anything. If not, that's a great call by you, considering ESPN just dropped his ass -- but if he's going to be the new sub, I would honestly rather have Colby. I sincerely hope he isn't. It's bad enough seeing him in studio sometimes; if they want to put him there, fine I guess, but keep his mumbling ass off air.

I hope Panger is full time. I mean they shouldn't really need to sub anymore, at least for TV. But no doubt Chelios will be sniffing for a new gig with the Hawks now.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ugh, is the Chris Chelios thing confirmed? I googled it briefly but haven't seen anything. If not, that's a great call by you, considering ESPN just dropped his ass -- but if he's going to be the new sub, I would honestly rather have Colby. I sincerely hope he isn't. It's bad enough seeing him in studio sometimes; if they want to put him there, fine I guess, but keep his mumbling ass off air.

I hope Panger is full time. I mean they shouldn't really need to sub anymore, at least for TV. But no doubt Chelios will be sniffing for a new gig with the Hawks now.
Not sure of the reliability of this sight but it does make sense since he's done Hawk hockey in the past plus his daughter is there.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Not sure of the reliability of this sight but it does make sense since he's done Hawk hockey in the past plus his daughter is there.

Cool thanks. Yeah the author is all over the place in that article. I kind of think she misused the word "booth." At least, I hope that's the case. With Colby out, it seems like Chris will be in the studio more, which sucks, but whatever; as long as he stays out of the booth. The only way he could "collaborate" with Caley would be in the studio.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

Granada

Liked Posts:
They'll definitely have a replacement for at least some games because Pang is keeping his TNT gig throughout the season too (like Edzo did), which kind of sucks because it will probably be one of the Chelios'. Someone on a podcast mentioned Grimson, I'd love that; I think he was in the running last year when they were looking for Edzo's replacement.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I really liked John Scott in the studio the other game. He's much better than Granato. Vosters still sucks horribly and I honestly can't wait until the day he's gone, but with Colby out of the studio, the studio team has been much easier to stomach.

I don't know why they need Granto, if it's a tryout between him and Scott or something. If so, that's stupid. They should just go with Scott; I don't know why they always go with this tryout shit. Make a decision from the get-go.

I forgot the Hawk player now, but he was driving the net last night, and Vosters goes "(Hawk player name)...PENALIZED!" This dick doesn't even know the difference between being penalized and drawing a penalty (which the hawk player did).

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I really liked John Scott in the studio the other game. He's much better than Granato. Vosters still sucks horribly and I honestly can't wait until the day he's gone, but with Colby out of the studio, the studio team has been much easier to stomach.

I don't know why they need Granto, if it's a tryout between him and Scott or something. If so, that's stupid. They should just go with Scott; I don't know why they always go with this tryout shit. Make a decision from the get-go.

I forgot the Hawk player now, but he was driving the net last night, and Vosters goes "(Hawk player name)...PENALIZED!" This dick doesn't even know the difference between being penalized and drawing a penalty (which the hawk player did).
Agree with Scott over Granoto, wasn't sure why they brought him in unless Scott can't do it full time for some reason, Chelios wearing a top sheet last night but at least she's getting slightly better. Vosters... he reminds me of Dan Kelly. Talented guy for his versatility but not a point person for a single sport or team. Like Kelly, Vosters is all over doing announcing which is a tough gig, he was doing a B1G volleyball game a couple of weeks ago. He's still young and has a long way to go, but he's in a gig now where he's too inexperienced to be the guy. It's not to say he can't still be successful, but not a lot of guys can pull of multi sport gigs well and still be entertaining. We just happen to be lucky to be a large enough market where we have guys here in Chicago like Amin and Benetti who are real pros at it.

And yes, last night he slipped up and said penalized, but it was just a bit of a flub, and if your barometer is Foley, then of all things to knock him for saying the wrong thing occasionally shouldn't be held to much against him.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Agree with Scott over Granoto, wasn't sure why they brought him in unless Scott can't do it full time for some reason, Chelios wearing a top sheet last night but at least she's getting slightly better. Vosters... he reminds me of Dan Kelly. Talented guy for his versatility but not a point person for a single sport or team. Like Kelly, Vosters is all over doing announcing which is a tough gig, he was doing a B1G volleyball game a couple of weeks ago. He's still young and has a long way to go, but he's in a gig now where he's too inexperienced to be the guy. It's not to say he can't still be successful, but not a lot of guys can pull of multi sport gigs well and still be entertaining. We just happen to be lucky to be a large enough market where we have guys here in Chicago like Amin and Benetti who are real pros at it.

And yes, last night he slipped up and said penalized, but it was just a bit of a flub, and if your barometer is Foley, then of all things to knock him for saying the wrong thing occasionally shouldn't be held to much against him.
I agree with much of this post, and I know Foley would make flubs occasionally, but I'm sorry, he'd never make that mistake. Sure, he'd misidentify players (which every broadcaster does), but he would never say that. To me that's a false equivalence.

Vosters doesn't even know the difference between hooking and tripping. Pang had to help him multiple times last night. Vosters' hockey terminology is horrible, it's like he knows the terms, but he doesn't know what they mean.

But yes, the comparison to Dan Kelly is spot-on. I heard a couple preseason games with Vosters and Caley, I had to mute the game, seriously. I couldn't take it.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Glad I wasn't the only one to catch it.

Even when Foley would make a flub, he corrected himself. Sounded more genuine. Vosters needs a lot of work.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Couple weird moments between Pang and Vosters last night. I honestly can't tell if they just don't like each other or if the chemistry is just that awkward, neither would surprise me. If I were Pang, I wouldn't like Vosters either.

I'll have to mute next game because Caley will be with Vosters. I don't understand why they can't just put Scott in the booth, he's fantastic in studio. Scott reminds me of Mayers, who was also very good; I just hope he isn't poached from NHL Network like the latter.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Couple weird moments between Pang and Vosters last night. I honestly can't tell if they just don't like each other or if the chemistry is just that awkward, neither would surprise me. If I were Pang, I wouldn't like Vosters either.

I'll have to mute next game because Caley will be with Vosters. I don't understand why they can't just put Scott in the booth, he's fantastic in studio. Scott reminds me of Mayers, who was also very good; I just hope he isn't poached from NHL Network like the latter.
Vosters and Chelios are awful...agree on the weird pauses and awkward interaction between Pang and Vosters last night. Coupled with a team that is comprised of one brilliant rookie and the rest a bunch of mediocrity, it's hard to watch.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I missed the interactions last night but I noticed it where they were weird little things that just weren't hitting home and I couldn't tell if it was a comfort level thing or if there was an awkwardness between them. Couldn't agree more that him and chelios are horrible together. I think maybe Panger has some resentment of having to train vosters while on the job or something.

This clusterfuck in the broadcasting booze is really one of the most baffling things to screw up when it's really such a coveted and straightforward job. Hell they got panger back and I thought that it would sort himself out but he's just being wasted.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It doesn't help that with that moustache Vosters looks like he's not allowed within 200 yards of a school.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Vosters and Chelios are awful...agree on the weird pauses and awkward interaction between Pang and Vosters last night. Coupled with a team that is comprised of one brilliant rookie and the rest a bunch of mediocrity, it's hard to watch.
Long time no see buddy, don't be a stranger around here (even if it's hard not to be, lol)

Granada

Liked Posts:
Anyone see the Hawk Cast thing last night? I tried giving it a shot since Caley was in the booth this game. It was fucking awful.

Zeroing in on Bedard literally on the bench while the play is going on. He's on the bench, and the camera is on him the whole time only, not the play. Seriously?

Then it's only on him during play. And no sound, only Granato and Roumelioutis talking about random topics -- which again, I'd probably tolerate over Caley/Vosters, but they don't show the game; they just hone in on Bedard and nothing else going on in the play. It was the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

You can't do this in hockey. So much of a great play depends on passing and transitions. Maybe it would work to hone in on a stud offensive D-man who can carry the puck himself from end to end and score all on his own, but those plays and players are rare. Yes, Connor Bedard is good and will be even better, but he's not that type of player in the NHL, at least not yet. And even if he does become that type of player, a shift like that is still rare.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Anyone see the Hawk Cast thing last night? I tried giving it a shot since Caley was in the booth this game. It was fucking awful.

Zeroing in on Bedard literally on the bench while the play is going on. He's on the bench, and the camera is on him the whole time only, not the play. Seriously?

Then it's only on him during play. And no sound, only Granato and Roumelioutis talking about random topics -- which again, I'd probably tolerate over Caley/Vosters, but they don't show the game; they just hone in on Bedard and nothing else going on in the play. It was the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

You can't do this in hockey. So much of a great play depends on passing and transitions. Maybe it would work to hone in on a stud offensive D-man who can carry the puck himself from end to end and score all on his own, but those plays and players are rare. Yes, Connor Bedard is good and will be even better, but he's not that type of player in the NHL, at least not yet. And even if he does become that type of player, a shift like that is still rare.
Yeah it's garbage. They're trying to steal it from soccer but at least in soccer the players are always moving zeroinging on players sitting on the bench is just stupid hockey is not built for this sort of thing. They tried it in football too on the QB and at least they're involved in every play but it's still bad

Granada

Liked Posts:
Like Savoir Faire between periods last night. If there's one dude I'd like to meet, it's him; just seems like a super-friendly person. Wish they'd just put him in the booth instead of Caley.

Last night, during a delayed penalty on the Hawks in the first, Vosters thought the Ducks intentionally pulled their goalie (since there was only 10 seconds left in the period). This is our announcer.