How far away are we from competing

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
So how far away do you think we are from competing? I see most saying were 2 years away. I think were closer then that. In fact I believe if healthy we could get a WC this year. I know I am a homer so save the homer stuff because I like being a homer. Just want some opinions. Next year? 2 years? 5 years? Because if it's not next year then we'll have to wait for a while for a young QB to bloom. Seems to me if Cutler continues to play well under Gase then we could add a few pieces next year and compete.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
So how far away do you think we are from competing? I see most saying were 2 years away. I think were closer then that. In fact I believe if healthy we could get a WC this year. I know I am a homer so save the homer stuff because I like being a homer. Just want some opinions. Next year? 2 years? 5 years? Because if it's not next year then we'll have to wait for a while for a young QB to bloom. Seems to me if Cutler continues to play well under Gase then we could add a few pieces next year and compete.

Jared Allen made a comment a few days before he was traded about the team. He said something to the effect that the difference between the best team and the worst team in the NFL is only a few plays and a few players.

I took that to mean that the difference is a few game-changers

That's part of why I hated the Fuller and Shea picks. I felt neither was a game-changer. (For the record, I felt the same way about the Long draft pick. But now see he actually may be one of the best offensive linemen in the NFL.)

With that, I think the Bears could be much more competetive next year if this years draft pans out (White, Grasu, Goldman) and we have a really solid next year. I think you're spot on that 2017 should be a really good year if we say on this path.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
An all pro CB, great lbs, a pass rusher, a free safety and being healthy, in one year the Bears can be competitive.

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
In a league which has seen teams go from bottom feeders to playoff contenders the very next season... I'm optimistic about the Bears. A healthy offense, a decent draft and a few players developing and playing up to potential... the Bears could be one of those teams too.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Jared Allen made a comment a few days before he was traded about the team. He said something to the effect that the difference between the best team and the worst team in the NFL is only a few plays and a few players.

I took that to mean that the difference is a few game-changers

That's part of why I hated the Fuller and Shea picks. I felt neither was a game-changer. (For the record, I felt the same way about the Long draft pick. But now see he actually may be one of the best offensive linemen in the NFL.)

With that, I think the Bears could be much more competetive next year if this years draft pans out (White, Grasu, Goldman) and we have a really solid next year. I think you're spot on that 2017 should be a really good year if we say on this path.
Not to mention Amos and the other undrafted safety.

If we have a great draft next year we can compete for the division.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With a good draft, Bears could be a playoff contender next year.

SB? Pffft. Flip a coin. Could be next year, could be 30 years. Once you get to the playoffs, its almost random.

In a large view, the big perspective, the goal is not so much to win the SB. Too much outside of a teams control in that goal. The real goal is to become a perennial playoff team. That is the most direct way that a teams puts themselves in the SB while relying the least amount possible on luck.

So, to put it another way, ultimately you are gunning for the SB. But the way you achieve that is to build a team that goes to the playoffs every year for an extended period.

And imo, it looks like the Bears are on the right track and the playoff appearances could begin next year.

Last edited:

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
Depends on what the definition of the word 'competing' is. Wild card contender? I could see next year- or year after.

Consistent playoff contender- needs to get dat QB. That's up to the god of luck (Fortuna). Even if you like Cutler how many years does he have left of playing? I'm hard pressed to think of a team that made multiple playoff appearances without good QB play. The Bears recent model is to build out every phase of the team except QB- make a run- then collapse- and re-do the whole thing over again. Only acquiring a QB capable of high level play gets you consistent contention.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I agree botfly, if you are not lucky enough to draft a Tom Brady, your best bet is to try and stay competitive every year and hope you get there. Steelers and Giants did this.

Pats are the only dynasty and that is because of Brady.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
With a good draft, Bears could be a playoff contender next year.

SB? Pffft. Flip a coin. Could be next year, could be 30 years. Once you get to the playoffs, its almost random.
It may be my Bears glasses, but this is what I see.

This Bears defense is improving weekly and playing at a playoff worthy level the last 3 weeks and the offense with JC at the helm averages 2.13 pt/drive, which would rank them 7th in that category, all while being without 2 or more offensive weapons all year.

And while I agree there is a need for increased talent, maybe Tucker was burying/minimizing talent, (i.e. Shea) just as much as Fangio is unearthing/maximizing it.

If the above is all true, we are one Aaron Rodgers clavicle away from the unmentionable, as beyond GB, and maybe Ari, the NFC is rather mediocre with a lot of warty looking teams.

cloudy-with-a-chance-of-meatballs-hd-wallpapers.jpg

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It may be my Bears glasses, but this is what I see.

This Bears defense is improving weekly and playing at a playoff worthy level the last 3 weeks and the offense with JC at the helm averages 2.13 pt/drive, which would rank them 7th in that category, all while being without 2 or more offensive weapons all year.

And while I agree there is a need for increased talent, maybe Tucker was burying/minimizing talent, (i.e. Shea) just as much as Fangio is unearthing/maximizing it.

If the above is all true, we are one Aaron Rodgers clavicle away from the unmentionable, as beyond GB, and maybe Ari, the NFC is rather mediocre with a lot of warty looking teams.

cloudy-with-a-chance-of-meatballs-hd-wallpapers.jpg

Yeah... might want to take it easy.

Haven't wanted to say it cause everyone has been having fun, but... the Chiefs. Without Jamaal Charles. Just saying.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Yeah... might want to take it easy.

Haven't wanted to say it cause everyone has been having fun, but... the Chiefs. Without Jamaal Charles. Just saying.
True, I think it is more likely than not the Bears miss the playoffs, but this team, at this point is average, and in the NFC average just possibly gets you in the playoff.

I think the Lions game is huge. This is the exact type of game you must win if you have any aspirations of doing something meaningful. It's a bad team that you need to jump on early and reassure them that they suck and should just take their ass kicking. Giving them any hope would be a bad thing. Go into the bye 3-3 with a manageable schedule beyond and you never know.

Last edited:

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
We're contending now, and I must say, I'm impressed with Fox/Fangio/Gase. The amount of talent on this team has to be bottom 3 in the league with all of our injuries, but we're playing like a middle-tiered team. It's refreshing to see.

Bears1985defense

Liked Posts:
There's a crapload of luck that enters the equation. Especially as far as injuries are concerned. A good team with key injuries often looks like a shitty team. As far as contending for a championship, even if the Bears were 100% healthy this year, we'd still be 1-2 difference makers on each side of the ball to be there. IMO

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
True, I think it is more likely than not the Bears miss the playoffs, but this team, at this point is average, and in the NFC average just possibly gets you in the playoff.

I think the Lions game is huge. This is the exact type of game you must win if you have any aspirations of doing something meaningful. It's a bad team that you need to jump on early and reassure them that they suck and should just take their ass kicking. Giving them any hope would be a bad thing. Go into the bye 3-3 with a manageable schedule beyond and you never know.

Meh. Its more fun when the Bears win, but my goals for the year are still the same. Just want to see improvement as they go. And bounce back after bad losses.

I think some folks are putting just a bit too much stock in the two wins.

I am excited because they have met my goals so far. To me games 1, 4, and 5 we all big success because the steady growth the team showed. And games 2 and 3 were important because they were bad losses, demoralizing, and the bears did not spiral. Showed character by bouncing back.

But the folks going into a tizzy right now are the ones we are gon have to tolerate losing their shit all over the forum soon enough.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
We're competing for the playoffs this season and if you're competing for the playoffs you're competing to win it all.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Meh. Its more fun when the Bears win, but my goals for the year are still the same. Just want to see improvement as they go. And bounce back after bad losses.

I think some folks are putting just a bit too much stock in the two wins.

I am excited because they have met my goals so far. To me games 1, 4, and 5 we all big success because the steady growth the team showed. And games 2 and 3 were important because they were bad losses, demoralizing, and the bears did not spiral. Showed character by bouncing back.

But the folks going into a tizzy right now are the ones we are gon have to tolerate losing their shit all over the forum soon enough.

Butterfly 10 you will be cheering for this team, along with the rest of us, in January.

If not well then you will be in January of 2017.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dominant- a ways away in the talent department.

Competing- closer than I thought.

These coaches are maximizing what they have, which leads me to believe if the talent level increases a little the Bears could be pretty good.