How far away are we from competing

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Meh. Its more fun when the Bears win, but my goals for the year are still the same. Just want to see improvement as they go. And bounce back after bad losses.

I think some folks are putting just a bit too much stock in the two wins.

I am excited because they have met my goals so far. To me games 1, 4, and 5 we all big success because the steady growth the team showed. And games 2 and 3 were important because they were bad losses, demoralizing, and the bears did not spiral. Showed character by bouncing back.

But the folks going into a tizzy right now are the ones we are gon have to tolerate losing their shit all over the forum soon enough.

I agree, I doubt the Bears compete for the playoffs or anything crazy like that, those people are going to be disappointed.

I am just glad to see they are competing in games, I thought they would get killed in.

I am also glad they are competing in ways, defense and good QB play, that I didn't think they could.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are competing now.
To get better than 8-8? A year or more.
To make the playoffs? 2-3 years, I think.

And that's all dependent on keeping and developing our young players, good FA moves, and continued strong drafts.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree, I doubt the Bears compete for the playoffs or anything crazy like that, those people are going to be disappointed.

I am just glad to see they are competing in games, I thought they would get killed in.

I am also glad they are competing in ways, defense and good QB play, that I didn't think they could.

You are not giving yourself enough credit. So far the bears are accomplishing what I think we both stated as reasonable expectations going into the season.

I dont feel like digging up old predictions, but I think we were on the same page with something like this:

Solid run D, potentially even good. On and off pass D. Overall, a D that plays disciplined and tough, few big mistakes but also few big plays. Maximize production from mid tier players.

O - general improvement from last year. Disciplined and patient. Cutler - less total production but also less stupid shit. Big contributions from run game.

Overall a team that is gon try to get by on coaching, discipline, and efficiency. A team that will be within 1 score at the end of more games than not.

So I think things are lining up how we were hoping.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think they can be a playoff team next year. If pace has another draft like last year and actually get production from his 1st round pick combined with signing say 3-4 starters in free agency (which is do-able), then I don't see why not. That's potentially 5-7 new starters.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This will take quite a bit to be a "contender". They need next year:

1. A top notch first round sure thing offensive tackle.

2. A top notch 3rd round offensive guard

3. A 2nd round top notch inside linebacker.

4. A true quality CB in free agency (this is where they should spend their money next year)

5. A good QB prospect

Bennett and Forte will be gone in two years. They will need to be replaced. So this will be a two year process to just get into the beginning of the hunt. Championship? About four years away realistically and that is dependent on the idiot owners not screwing the pooch.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could really see this team competing for the playoffs next year. This year I think is a pipe dream but I'm really encouraged by this staff GM to coordinators. When's the last time we could say that?

I'm also really encouraged by this draft… if White comes back and plays well it'll look a lot better but as of right now Goldman, Grasu, Langford, and Amos are all making positive contributions. I don't see all pro in any of them but good to very good young talent in all. White has the potential to be that all-pro talent but we'll just have to wait and see.

Another year of Fox/Fangio/Gase and another good draft and FA period and this team will be playoff bound IMO.

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter.

Liked Posts:
They are one more good draft and a few free agent signing away IMO. So it could be next season.

dawags

Liked Posts:
Te door to consistently making the play-offs is by controlling your division and unfortunately Aaron Rodgers is standing in the doorway.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they hit the next draft and find a couple of guys in free agency, they should make the playoffs next year. If they find a QB in next year's draft, they could start being serious Super Bowl contenders in 2018.

Playoffs in the second year of a rebuild should be the goal, and you can tear a roster completely apart and be a consistent Super Bowl contender within four years (see Seattle).

Last edited:

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
The Bears are a competitive team and can make it to playoffs this year. They made not be the most talented but they got a lot of fight in them and they'll go toe to toe with the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JUSTWIN

BANNED
Liked Posts:
I think the talent is there on offense to be playoff caliber. Just need time to gel and the talent to get back on the field. The defense needs more talent at all levels and until we get that in place, we're not perennial playoff team. We could definitely squeak in at 8-8 or 9-7 this year but would probably be one and done or 1 win and done. However, I am leaning more toward a 6-10 or 7-9 season.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Fuck it, I am calling 9-7 and a wild card round victory.
I think there are a good bit of posters that can see that but fear the meatball label.
I can take your slings and arrows.
Bring it doubters!!!!

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it is more likely that the bears will go 9-7 than a team will get a wildcard with 9-7

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Define "competitive".

Some people here need to calm down. We beat two bad teams in the last couple minutes by a combined 3PTS!

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Fuck it, I am calling 9-7 and a wild card round victory.
I think there are a good bit of posters that can see that but fear the meatball label.
I can take your slings and arrows.
Bring it doubters!!!!

Getting a wildcard with 9-7 record?

Have looked at the standing recently?

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
The Bears have a lot of very good skill position players on offense but thin in oline. Build a bad ass oline and they could be a dangerous team. Ideally not sure about cap restrictions but in FA get a guard in the draft get an RT in the second round. For defense draft a playmaking corner. Then in FA sign a play making safety like Eric Berry, and pass rush threat at OLB like Bruce Irvin. Thats four players that could make things very interesting.

If they can build a top notch oline. Cutler with time to throw and under Gase is better than most what to admit. With Forte, Marty, White, Royal, Alshon thats a lot of talent so somebody is going to open. Wilson is coming around. Its something to consider.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This has exceeded my expectations.

I just wanted them to play hard and be better coached, and now they look like they are not one of the worst 4-5 teams in the league.

You can't go from trainwreck to competitor over night.

But that fact that they have made it to professional and well coached is a win.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Competitive = not getting crushed by 30 points; not getting beat on long plays all day long; not looking lost 100% of the time. It means running the ball, passing the ball, getting third downs, not punting ten times (oops), scoring tds, and on def, sacking the qb, pressuring the qb, getting turnovers, stopping 3rd downs, etc. It means winning games. I think we're doing most, if not all of that right now. Will we lose to the best teams? Probably. We are not making the playoffs, but we are competing each week, which is something.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I think it is more likely that the bears will go 9-7 than a team will get a wildcard with 9-7
I agree in fact 10-6 may not even be good enough for a WC when you got Seattle and Carolina going after it too.