Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Code lives in Texas :thinking:

cuban.jpg

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I never changed my argument. It's always been playing experience doesn't equal knowledge. Yes, that was my first post. But you know what the post after me said? Please clarify. Which I did. I fail to see how that is changing my argument. I'm not ignoring any original statement. He asked for a clarification. Which I gave him. I have never changed my stance. He REALLLLLLY destroyed my argument. Asking for a clarification. Right.

OK, let's simplify this. Point out a single GM, executive, scout, manager, or coach in baseball that hasn't played the game at the high school level at the very least. You know, where you actually begin to learn what it takes to be an exceptional baseball player. Don't bother... as the answer is NONE, and each and every GM in the MLB points to their playing experience as granting them much of the fundamental basics of knowledge and skills in assessing players. But hey, playing experience means nothing in terms of knowledge, right?

Sure baseball ran as a business. It doesn't change that it is a game.

Really? This is your comeback? Yes, it's a game... woo hoo! It's also a multi-billion dollar business that makes many, many people wealthy. The scouting, drafting, negotiation and signing portions of this game are surprisingly similar to the same sort of recruiting and hiring processes that many companies use to reel in topnotch employees above certain levels. The farm system is essentially the same thing as on-the-job training. The same can be said of lower-level positions in the FO. Playing at the MLB level, or filling middle-level FO positions is basically the same thing as being a fully trained employee. Coaching and managing.... front-line management, training, and quality control. VP of player personnel... middle management. Scouting directors, assistant GM, VP marketing, etc... executives. GM... high-level executives. President... well that's not a term used by every incorporated business in the world, now is it?

Yeah, there are no parallels between how a baseball team and a corporation are run, huh? A baseball team is essentially the same sort of corporation as a movie studio, recording company, etc.

Where did I ever say that someone with no experience in anything could be a GM? LMFAO. Do you read what you type? That's asinine. I never even came close to saying that.

Oh, so now you are admitting you've been wrong all of this time? Excellent, maybe you are finally learning!

I read everything I type, and everything you've typed. Unlike you, I have learned (from experience) how to comprehend what I read. You stated "experience does not equal knowledge". So, if you've managed to obtain the knowledge without experience... then you should be able to fulfill the role of a GM without it, right? That is the essential basics of your ridiculous argument. If you don't see it, then you truly are an excessive ignoramus.

I NEVER said that experience can't give one knowledge. I said it doesn't equal it. Meaning, just because you have experience, doesn't mean that you have knowledge. And vice versa. It doesn't have to be exclusive to the front office. A manager that has played, doesn't necessarily have knowledge. Perhaps he "learned" with a runner on 1st and one out, in a tight game, you bunt him over. Just because he "learned" that, doesn't mean he is knowledgeable. That's certainly not the smart thing to do there. It's not the dumbest, but it gives away an out.

Actually, you've insinuated it several times here. I'm just too lazy right now to go back and quote you directly on it this time.

You do know that the term "learned" means "gained knowledge", right? "Knowledgeable" means "having knowledge".

By the way, your example is actually a tactic that has been successfully used a million times throughout the history of baseball. Does it work every time? No. Should it be used every time? No. It's a situational thing... and the vast majority of managers use it well overall, but they do make mistakes. I mean, you could say the same thing about a guy hitting a deep fly to send a runner from 2nd to 3rd. You could say the same thing about a guy hitting a slow grounder to the left side to move a runner from 2nd to 3rd. They all make an out, yet raise the chances of the runner scoring by immense measures. Too bad you don't have strategic experience with the game, or you might know this. But I digress...

Umpires really don't have that vastly different of a strike zone. If you can teach the strike zone, why is Soriano so bad at it? Miguel Tejeda? Vlad?

Someone doesn't watch a lot of baseball games, does he? Oh that's right, all you need are stats and boxscores to analyze a game. So what if the boxscore only tells you about 1/10 of the story and stats NEVER do full justice, especially those faulty ones you love to spew out.

I do, and I attend a lot of games with the local AA team. The strike zone shifts with every single game. It can shift by a couple of inches here and there. It can shift by a foot here and there. I've seen umpires shift their strike zone during the game! Nonetheless from game to game. Oh, and, when you're talking baout a box that's essentially 1-foot by 2.5 feet on average... 1 inch is a vast difference.

Wow, you bring up 3 examples... I can post 3 examples too. As a matter of fact, I can point to 75% of the players in the MLB. Initial scouting reports of amateur Adam Dunn were that he was too aggressive and needed to sort out the strike zone. The Reds worked on that with him in the minors and his first couple of years in the majors. He's now 9th among active leaders in walks... and 69th all time. He's also 3rd amongst active players in Ks, 6th all time. However, the majority of his Ks are swinging through pitches in the K-zone or dangerously near it. He learned the strike zone, wasn't born with it. No one is born with it! Such an imbecilic statement!

Oh and, as evidence of this conversation and previous ones where you've been clearly pointed out as not just wrong, but so wrong you are used as the example of the proverbial village idiot.... some people just aren't teachable.

I don't give a fuck about life. I'm not here to talk about life. I'm here to talk about baseball.

That's quite evident. Such a shame that baseball mirrors life in many ways. Oh, I know you won't get that... because there isn't a website full of faulty stats to prove it to you, and you don't actually think that experience means anything... or that visual observation means anything (yet is the #1 means of scouting and figuring out if a player is actually worth a damn, and something that EVERY SINGLE team has done since the beginning of baseball and continues to do today).

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
LOL at CO getting his poop pushed by 2seam.

2seam for ROY.

It's not the first time. I was on his ass about using faulty stats that no one can seem to simply agree on a formula for as the end-all-be-all. Last year, he and I got into a long debate about whether to not Bryan LaHair could be so much as a MLBer, nonetheless remotely effective. I was pro LaHair, he wasn't. I debated with him that Soto wasn't the best offensive catcher around. Hell, we even got into it over the number of FO staff a minor league team usually keeps! He was so certain that it was some ungodly number that outranks that of even MLB teams.... and yet as a former booster of the local AA team, I've seen and counted the entire FO staff numerous times. Then again, that "knowledge" comes from "experience" and not a website filled with faulty stats and analysis, so apparently I know nothing in that regard.

Of course, all of this was like a year ago. Before I got sick and spent a ton of time in the hospital.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
hmmm...i see "west texas"

near midland/odessa...closer to san angelo..near el paso?

or up towards the panhandle(lubbock,amarillo,etc.)

I live in Midland. Used to be a booster for the Rockhounds, but my time constraints don't allow me to use my season tickets as thoroughly as I should... nonetheless support a player and do the volunteer work for the team anymore.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I live in Midland. Used to be a booster for the Rockhounds, but my time constraints don't allow me to use my season tickets as thoroughly as I should... nonetheless support a player and do the volunteer work for the team anymore.

nice

i live in the brazos valley area(south-central texas) where rain seemingly goes around us as if we have a dome lol

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Get Mark Cuban on CCS then :troll:

He's more of a Dallas/Ft. Worth guy... that's like 1/6 of the continent away from me. But, I do have friends out there... and one of them is a middle-manager for Dairy Queen..... so maybe....

But don't hold your breath.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
nice

i live in the brazos valley area(south-central texas) where rain seemingly goes around us as if we have a dome lol

Same here... last year when they were showing all of the fires in Texas on the news... That was typically aorund us. The world was aflame here for about 5 months. We're also surrounded by mesquite bushes. Ever smell a 100 square mile sized barbecue pit? That was Midland/Odessa until around November.

I've been here for a little over 5 years. In that time, I think we've gotten like 18 inches of precipitation.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Same here... last year when they were showing all of the fires in Texas on the news... That was typically aorund us. The world was aflame here for about 5 months. We're also surrounded by mesquite bushes. Ever smell a 100 square mile sized barbecue pit? That was Midland/Odessa until around November.

I've been here for a little over 5 years. In that time, I think we've gotten like 18 inches of precipitation.

yea some of my friend's family lives in san angelo,and they are running incredibly low on water because of it's location and the drought(even with rain coming in, they're still losing water)

bad situation...and bad droughts

ChicagoDawg1991

Well I certainly hope he is good, otherwise what was the point of acquiring him in the first place? So far hes promising

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK, let's simplify this. Point out a single GM, executive, scout, manager, or coach in baseball that hasn't played the game at the high school level at the very least. You know, where you actually begin to learn what it takes to be an exceptional baseball player. Don't bother... as the answer is NONE, and each and every GM in the MLB points to their playing experience as granting them much of the fundamental basics of knowledge and skills in assessing players. But hey, playing experience means nothing in terms of knowledge, right?

Really? This is your comeback? Yes, it's a game... woo hoo! It's also a multi-billion dollar business that makes many, many people wealthy. The scouting, drafting, negotiation and signing portions of this game are surprisingly similar to the same sort of recruiting and hiring processes that many companies use to reel in topnotch employees above certain levels. The farm system is essentially the same thing as on-the-job training. The same can be said of lower-level positions in the FO. Playing at the MLB level, or filling middle-level FO positions is basically the same thing as being a fully trained employee. Coaching and managing.... front-line management, training, and quality control. VP of player personnel... middle management. Scouting directors, assistant GM, VP marketing, etc... executives. GM... high-level executives. President... well that's not a term used by every incorporated business in the world, now is it?

Yeah, there are no parallels between how a baseball team and a corporation are run, huh? A baseball team is essentially the same sort of corporation as a movie studio, recording company, etc.

Oh, so now you are admitting you've been wrong all of this time? Excellent, maybe you are finally learning!

I read everything I type, and everything you've typed. Unlike you, I have learned (from experience) how to comprehend what I read. You stated "experience does not equal knowledge". So, if you've managed to obtain the knowledge without experience... then you should be able to fulfill the role of a GM without it, right? That is the essential basics of your ridiculous argument. If you don't see it, then you truly are an excessive ignoramus.

Actually, you've insinuated it several times here. I'm just too lazy right now to go back and quote you directly on it this time.

You do know that the term "learned" means "gained knowledge", right? "Knowledgeable" means "having knowledge".

By the way, your example is actually a tactic that has been successfully used a million times throughout the history of baseball. Does it work every time? No. Should it be used every time? No. It's a situational thing... and the vast majority of managers use it well overall, but they do make mistakes. I mean, you could say the same thing about a guy hitting a deep fly to send a runner from 2nd to 3rd. You could say the same thing about a guy hitting a slow grounder to the left side to move a runner from 2nd to 3rd. They all make an out, yet raise the chances of the runner scoring by immense measures. Too bad you don't have strategic experience with the game, or you might know this. But I digress...

Someone doesn't watch a lot of baseball games, does he? Oh that's right, all you need are stats and boxscores to analyze a game. So what if the boxscore only tells you about 1/10 of the story and stats NEVER do full justice, especially those faulty ones you love to spew out.

I do, and I attend a lot of games with the local AA team. The strike zone shifts with every single game. It can shift by a couple of inches here and there. It can shift by a foot here and there. I've seen umpires shift their strike zone during the game! Nonetheless from game to game. Oh, and, when you're talking baout a box that's essentially 1-foot by 2.5 feet on average... 1 inch is a vast difference.

Wow, you bring up 3 examples... I can post 3 examples too. As a matter of fact, I can point to 75% of the players in the MLB. Initial scouting reports of amateur Adam Dunn were that he was too aggressive and needed to sort out the strike zone. The Reds worked on that with him in the minors and his first couple of years in the majors. He's now 9th among active leaders in walks... and 69th all time. He's also 3rd amongst active players in Ks, 6th all time. However, the majority of his Ks are swinging through pitches in the K-zone or dangerously near it. He learned the strike zone, wasn't born with it. No one is born with it! Such an imbecilic statement!

Oh and, as evidence of this conversation and previous ones where you've been clearly pointed out as not just wrong, but so wrong you are used as the example of the proverbial village idiot.... some people just aren't teachable.

That's quite evident. Such a shame that baseball mirrors life in many ways. Oh, I know you won't get that... because there isn't a website full of faulty stats to prove it to you, and you don't actually think that experience means anything... or that visual observation means anything (yet is the #1 means of scouting and figuring out if a player is actually worth a damn, and something that EVERY SINGLE team has done since the beginning of baseball and continues to do today).

I didnt even read this but I do know CO got himself a new asshole

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Don't call 2seam an asshole :fist:

LOL... why not? My wife does! It's one of her many pet names for me.... though it is the one most often used... :kick:

Last edited:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL... why not? My wife does! It's one of her many pet names or me.... though it is the one most often used... :kick:

Your wife and mine would get along famously.