How good is our new coaching staff.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Im excited for now because i see the potential, but will stay calm until maybe mid way through next season.

I've no doubt the offense will be fresh and up to date, but have no clue on how Nagy will manage time and challenges and whatnots.

Optimistic though.

I feel the same. I know they are 0-0, but man hiring a staff you can be excited about is better than hiring no body bums and losing guys to the Raiders or UCLA.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How good do you expect this staff to be?

My hope is they are Super Bowl good.

Is this staff better or worse then you expected?

Much better then I expected. Retaining Vic was all I wanted and then they added Helfrich which I think is an awesome and unique hire that came out of left field. I fear that if the Bears offense takes a huge step with Nagy that we could lose Helfrich in a couple years to a HC gig.

Hiestand was a more eyebrow raising hire to me than Helfrich. Nagy of course was the most head turning hire of the bunch.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Assuming naggy won’t meddle with the defense it should hold up if not bet better adding talent

Special teams and offense is a different story we just won’t know until we see what pace puts together on paper and go through some of next season to see what naggy is all about.

People keep saying this without remembering we can potentially lose all three of our starting cornerbacks.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Great read. Much better than the bland Taco stories of the pants of the omelet

taco.jpg

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hiestand was a more eyebrow raising hire to me than Helfrich. Nagy of course was the most head turning hire of the bunch.

Hiestand, Fangio, and Donatel were huge gets for a first time head coach with no connection to these guys.

They are all at the top of the fields.

I was surprised, with all the talk before about Nagy possibly struggling to put a staff together, that he landed the guys that he did. I thought for sure we would have a mediocre staff his first year and they would make changes in the 2nd year once he has established himself.

Personally, I have not see a lot of wins on or off the field with this team. The coaching staff is a win.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wait till you see the staffs that are going to come together in Indy, Arizona and Tennessee, this will look like 10x the win then.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They sure are. But are they good enough to overcome a General Manager who's 14-and-34? . . .

Can your pea brain come up with something new to rag on? Everyone is well aware of the record. I know that is the type of narrative people associate with you, and you probably think you're being clever...NOT.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can your pea brain come up with something new to rag on? Everyone is well aware of the record. I know that is the type of narrative people associate with you, and you probably think you're being clever...NOT.

It's a valid digression, Sparky. Is the coaching staff good enough to overcome the General Manager who has assembled a roster of talent that smells worse than a porkstacker in the loo? . . .

. . . In the end, it's about the players. No amount of hype about hip young coaches is going to overcome a dearth of talent. Snails is on the clock, and thus far his "rebuild" has failed.

That's why it's in reboot . . .

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a valid digression, Sparky. Is the coaching staff good enough to overcome the General Manager who has assembled a roster of talent that smells worse than a porkstacker in the loo? . . .

. . . In the end, it's about the players. No amount of hype about hip young coaches is going to overcome a dearth of talent. Snails is on the clock, and thus far his "rebuild" has failed.

That's why it's in reboot . . .

You call it reboot, most everyone here would call it repetitive crap.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Getting Fangio back was huge imo. I love the idea of continuity, especially considering all of the good that Fangio has done for the defense over the past three years. Get him some new toys to play with and watch this defense become elite.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
You call it reboot, most everyone here would call it repetitive crap.

If you want to call 6-and-10, 3-and-13, and 5-and-11 "repetitive crap," the shoopster's not gonna disagree with you, Sparky . . .

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Wait till you see the staffs that are going to come together in Indy, Arizona and Tennessee, this will look like 10x the win then.

If Indy's staff is what is currently being reported then lol. Glad we got ours early.

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
Love the coaching staff as constructed so far.

I'll start obviously with the man in charge. I think some were quick to point out the idea of hiring an offense first coach was a bad idea, because of Trestman. Fair enough, but after the fact that they're both offensive minded coaches, the comparisons pretty much stop there. Just based on what I've seen, read and heard regarding Nagy, he is MUCH more personable and fiery than the proverbial wonderbread Trestman. Nagy is considerably younger and relates better to his players, which is the reason he was heavily lauded by his players and boss in KC. The other big differential is NFL experience. You may be thinking "oh Trestman was WAY more experienced as a coach", true, but let's take a look at Nagy's coaching experience the last 9 years, and compare it to Trestman prior to taking the Bears job.

- Nagy has spent pretty much his entire coaching career tied to the hip of Andy Reid in Phily and then in KC. He's been taught by one of the best offensive minds in the game today and has spent the last decade honing his craft at the level he now leads in.

- Trestman left the Raiders in 2003 when Callahan got the boot, was picked up in Miami for a season. Then he became the OC at NC State before moving to Canada to take the HC job for Montreal. For nearly a decade, Trestman had been out of the NFL game, which means his experience in the league was stale and near irrelevant.

The other thing that stands out greatly compared to Trestman is the assistant coaching acquisitions.

- Aaron Kromer was a good hire in terms of accolades, but he was a complete nutcase and widely hated by many of the players. On the flip side, Mark Helfrich is widely known as a very likeable and a easy coach to work with by both players and colleagues. Anybody who can work for several years under Chip Kelly without issue is a master of restraint.

- Not only did I not like the hiring of Mel Tucker as DC, it yielded a complete dysfunctional disaster on the defensive side of the ball. Tucker was brought in and expected to continue to run Marinelli's defensive scheme. Essentially trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. It worked out about as well as you'd expect. Nagy and Pace were smart and retained Vic Fangio, so instead of needing to learn a new scheme (or trying to retain the old one with someone completely inexperienced running it), they have that continuity. Fangio also is just flat out a much better DC than Tucker, so there's that.

- Finally as ND fan, I absolutely hated to see Harry Hiestand leave. The guy is simply at the top of the OL coaching pillar. He's a stern, technical genius. That being said, the pro game is where he belongs. He wasn't a fan of the recruiting game, though he did a pretty good job at it. He's definitely more of a coaching coach, than a recruiter. With the Bears, he can do just that. This is going to pay major dividends up front, which I'm sure Trubisky will love.

Overall, it's likely premature to be screaming playoffs just yet. But I think we took a huge step forward towards getting there with these hires. Now it's up to Pace making the right acquisitions in FA and drafting wise. Plus if we could go a season or 6 without losing a third of our roster to the IR list, that'd be great...

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Harry Hiestand was a flat out coup. That might be the hire that impressed me the most.
What do you like so much about Hiestand?

I just read his history on the Bears home site. Basically the only thing that jumped out was he was a part of Chip Kelly's big Oregon offense... other than that, I'm clueless.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
What do you like so much about Hiestand?

I just read his history on the Bears home site. Basically the only thing that jumped out was he was a part of Chip Kelly's big Oregon offense... other than that, I'm clueless.

He is considered a top top Oline coach. We use a Oline. It's a perfect fit.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like doohickey thangs.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
'17 Bears played 5 of the top 10 teams in their first 8 games. Falcons, Panthers, Steelers, Saints, Vikings. Bears outscored these playoff teams 86-83, all competitive games within one score besides the drubbing to the Panthers. The offense just has to be a little bit better and Bears beat all 5 of these playoff teams. Add a new hyped offensive staff, a HC that won't allow the team to fall flat in second halves and after a bye, a couple more pieces in FA and draft, a bit easier schedule and this team could reeeally take off. If you don't think the Bears have a chance at playoff contention then you're a fuckin troll.

Great post. Great points. I think the Bears have a decent shot at the playoffs. 12 of 32 teams get in. That is 37.5%. We also wont have Glennon. His game against Tampa Bay last year was the worst performance of a qb I have ever seen in the NFL. 3 more wins in 2018 is all it will take to be in the hunt.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
I bet there are some ship jumpers by game 2 to 4 next year. I think the sane ones knows it will take time to get the system down and add the talent needed. But on the other end disappointment is for those that have hope, and not many had that even a month ago. I believe things will work out but if they don't I'm still glad we are trying hard. Many years I felt we did not even try.

Now that the team is in the hands of a competent GM and not in the uncharted drifting of Ted Phillips, we have a great chance to improve. Sure, Pace has made a mistake or 3, but he has a lot of successes too. You cant win them all in picking draft choices or FAs. I trust Pace to mostly make good choices. No one can do it without a clunker.