I am done with the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Heras

Liked Posts:
I don't really waste a lot of time complaining about refs, but I've really started to notice this, too. When games can turn on a play or two, it's frustrating to watch a team get the breaks most of the time. Certain players (Rodgers, Brady, Manning) get an aura built around them by the media, and I think it carries over to the field. If a ref sees a play that could go either way (or sometimes is even close), who do you think he's going to believe - the golden boy QB's team or the team with the backup safety you've never heard of. There's a distinct bias there, intended or not.

Really all you can hope for anymore is that GBs sucky offensive line gets a couple of obvious holding calls that are blatant or their D gets penalized to somewhat even things out. You know they're not going to slow down Rodgers at all by calling the game even, because the league makes more money by promoting it's offensive stars, and in turn carrying that hype over to the field in its officiating.

It's the whole reason I enjoyed GB getting that big karma shitburger in the Seattle game; it was nice to see it go against them just once when it counted. Thanks, replacement refs.

I said in the game day thread a couple of times. To beat the Packers you must first beat the refs.
To beat GB you need a 17 point lead on the Pack because the refs will spot them at least two TD's in every single game that is close or they are not winning. You can not give the refs any excuse to throw a flag because if you do they will throw it, even then they will still throw flags and just make shit up. And finally you need to knock the shit out of Rodgers. The guy folds under pressure and not even the refs can save him when teams start hitting him in the back field.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Try not watching the NFL for a year, as I did last season.

And believe me, you will notice the officiating has digressed. Too many rule changes have both refs and players second guessing.

Another problem that has not been discussed occurred against the Jets. Television coverage undermined instant replay in the 4th quarter.

Having reverse angle coverage should be mandatory on every play.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Try not watching the NFL for a year, as I did last season.

And believe me, you will notice the officiating has digressed. Too many rule changes have both refs and players second guessing.

Another problem that has not been discussed occurred against the Jets. Television coverage undermined instant replay in the 4th quarter.

Having reverse angle coverage should be mandatory on every play.

Between this problem and the lawbreaking issues and mishandling of them, has there been a worse sports commissioner in recent memory than Roger Goodell?

TheRivalry

Liked Posts:
I don't really waste a lot of time complaining about refs, but I've really started to notice this, too. When games can turn on a play or two, it's frustrating to watch a team get the breaks most of the time. Certain players (Rodgers, Brady, Manning) get an aura built around them by the media, and I think it carries over to the field. If a ref sees a play that could go either way (or sometimes is even close), who do you think he's going to believe - the golden boy QB's team or the team with the backup safety you've never heard of. There's a distinct bias there, intended or not.
Congrats on being one of only a few reasonable Bear fans based on your post. Your breakdown of the situation has some truth to it, but for the rest of your brethren to suggest for one second that GB only beat the bears by 21 points was because of poor officiating is LAUGHABLE. Yes, the officiating was atrocious, but Cutler is 1-10 vs Rodgers or more accurately, Rodgers is 10-1 with his only loss being the game where he was knocked out in the first series in GB. So it's reasonable to assume that he would have won that game as well. I don't think it's a "Cutler can't beat the Packers" thing as much as it's always been a "Bears D can't stop Aaron Rodgers" situation. Apologies if my numbers are off- not trying to flame cause both defenses are vomit- inducing and the officiating was so bad it was distracting, but not so much that it dictated the outcome of the game. Everyone who's ever watched the NFL knows that turnovers have a huge impact on the outcome of games and the officials didn't throw those picks, aren't responsible for the miscommunication between Marshal/Cutty or your #19 rounding off his crossing route.

quicksand30

Liked Posts:

Really all you can hope for anymore is that GBs sucky offensive line gets a couple of obvious holding calls that are blatant or their D gets penalized to somewhat even things out. You know they're not going to slow down Rodgers at all by calling the game even, because the league makes more money by promoting it's offensive stars, and in turn carrying that hype over to the field in its officiating.

It's the whole reason I enjoyed GB getting that big karma shitburger in the Seattle game; it was nice to see it go against them just once when it counted. Thanks, replacement refs.

I normally don't like to complain about refs either, and it's not possible to blame the refs when the Bears throw 2 picks and get no pressure. That said, there has been (for a number of years) a biased approach to guys like Rodgers, Manning, and Brees, etc. It can even extend to someone like AP (before the child issue) or a great DE. Whether it is conscious or unconscious, intentional or unintentional, I don't know. The irony though is that I do think the NFL believes that having Golden Boys is key to the sport. That might be true to an extent, but you get a far more engaged fan base when underdogs prevail in a given year. You get a far more engaged fan base when divisions seem competitive. I'm speaking as a general fan and taking off my Bears hat here. It's NOT interesting to see the Patriots, a Peyton-manning led team, or the Colts get their division year after year. It's tired.

Along these lines, one common narrative in the media when a Golden Boy team gets a loss is that there is some type of injustice. Remember, in 2010, when the Bears beat GB because the Packers were sloppy and had a ton of penalties? Well, of course, the media goes on about the great injustice and Green Bay proceeds to be sloppy all the way to the Super Bowl without it getting called. Just a couple weeks ago, the Seahawks beat Denver fair and square in overtime by getting the ball first and getting a TD. But it's a great injustice Peyton Manning didn't get the ball. Suppose the Bears hadn't thrown the picks and kept the track meet up, somehow won? The media would have talking about the call on Peppers or some shit like that.

Why the NFL protects small market teams like GB is beyond me when fair competition in the NFC North would engage 3 larger cities.

TheRivalry

Liked Posts:
I normally don't like to complain about refs either, and it's not possible to blame the refs when the Bears throw 2 picks and get no pressure. That said, there has been (for a number of years) a biased approach to guys like Rodgers, Manning, and Brees, etc. It can even extend to someone like AP (before the child issue) or a great DE. Whether it is conscious or unconscious, intentional or unintentional, I don't know. The irony though is that I do think the NFL believes that having Golden Boys is key to the sport. That might be true to an extent, but you get a far more engaged fan base when underdogs prevail in a given year. You get a far more engaged fan base when divisions seem competitive. I'm speaking as a general fan and taking off my Bears hat here. It's NOT interesting to see the Patriots, a Peyton-manning led team, or the Colts get their division year after year. It's tired.

Along these lines, one common narrative in the media when a Golden Boy team gets a loss is that there is some type of injustice. Remember, in 2010, when the Bears beat GB because the Packers were sloppy and had a ton of penalties? Well, of course, the media goes on about the great injustice and Green Bay proceeds to be sloppy all the way to the Super Bowl without it getting called. Just a couple weeks ago, the Seahawks beat Denver fair and square in overtime by getting the ball first and getting a TD. But it's a great injustice Peyton Manning didn't get the ball. Suppose the Bears hadn't thrown the picks and kept the track meet up, somehow won? The media would have talking about the call on Peppers or some shit like that.

Why the NFL protects small market teams like GB is beyond me when fair competition in the NFC North would engage 3 larger cities.

They don't. Certain players get the benefit of the doubt. But to suggest that the NFL would do it to the extent that it would determine the outcome of a game would jeopardize the integrity of their brand, and they ain't that dumb. Poor calls are largely the result of trying to make sure guys don't get concussed- the Munday hit is a perfect example. Total bullshit call that was so blatantly NOT a penalty but the league is willing to call it if it results in less violent contact over the middle. It's frustrating to watch, but the officiating didn't cost you the game and the NFL isn't favoring some teams over others. There's never been a higher degree of parity and that's the way the NFL likes it.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We should have zero blitzed Rodgers on every play in the 2nd half.... I would take a few 15 yard penalties for a few "late hits" if it meant getting some hits on Rodgers.

The Pack do it to Cutler every time they play him.... blitz him, use some late hits or w/e to rattle em and keep rattling em.

If the refs wanna give Rodgers and the Pack the benefit of the doubt on calls, thats fine.... lets see how useful the NFL golden boy is when he has scrambled eggs for brains.

OMG Bears are dirty.... :dontcare:

Rise

Liked Posts:
Congrats on being one of only a few reasonable Bear fans based on your post. Your breakdown of the situation has some truth to it, but for the rest of your brethren to suggest for one second that GB only beat the bears by 21 points was because of poor officiating is LAUGHABLE. Yes, the officiating was atrocious, but Cutler is 1-10 vs Rodgers or more accurately, Rodgers is 10-1 with his only loss being the game where he was knocked out in the first series in GB. So it's reasonable to assume that he would have won that game as well. I don't think it's a "Cutler can't beat the Packers" thing as much as it's always been a "Bears D can't stop Aaron Rodgers" situation. Apologies if my numbers are off- not trying to flame cause both defenses are vomit- inducing and the officiating was so bad it was distracting, but not so much that it dictated the outcome of the game. Everyone who's ever watched the NFL knows that turnovers have a huge impact on the outcome of games and the officials didn't throw those picks, aren't responsible for the miscommunication between Marshal/Cutty or your #19 rounding off his crossing route.

No the one win was in 2010 on MNF, both Rodgers and Cutler played the entire game. Last years game counts against Rodgers because he started (making him 10-2 during the Cutler era) but not for Cutler since he didn't play (McCown 1-0)

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:

That's a great point. How many times have we seen the media (cough, cough ESPN) harp on something questionable whenever one of their blessed teams (NE United States, Packers, Manning, etc.) loses a game. There's a built in machine - it's kind of a chicken and egg thing...they won't talk about or hype a team unless they're one of the chosen few, but how does a team break into the chosen few? By winning games and beating the chosen few...which causes them to downplay that team's success, and write it off as luck (how many times did we hear that after the Jets game?), bad calls, or a terrible performance by their faves. It's a cycle that never ends. ESPN at this point has become completely unwatchable to me, and NFL Network isn't much better.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
The automatic 1st down on D holding and hands to the face is absurd.
I know how we can balance this, Automatic 4th down when the O line does it to the D line... NO? Or at least a loss of down.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
That's a great point. How many times have we seen the media (cough, cough ESPN) harp on something questionable whenever one of their blessed teams (NE United States, Packers, Manning, etc.) loses a game. There's a built in machine - it's kind of a chicken and egg thing...they won't talk about or hype a team unless they're one of the chosen few, but how does a team break into the chosen few? By winning games and beating the chosen few...which causes them to downplay that team's success, and write it off as luck (how many times did we hear that after the Jets game?), bad calls, or a terrible performance by their faves. It's a cycle that never ends. ESPN at this point has become completely unwatchable to me, and NFL Network isn't much better.

Yup, just look at how the NFL media elite gathered after the Broncos lost last week and created out of thin air a sudden argument against the OT rules.

If that happens to a "regular" team or a regular QB, that never happens.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
We should have zero blitzed Rodgers on every play in the 2nd half.... I would take a few 15 yard penalties for a few "late hits" if it meant getting some hits on Rodgers.

The Pack do it to Cutler every time they play him.... blitz him, use some late hits or w/e to rattle em and keep rattling em.

If the refs wanna give Rodgers and the Pack the benefit of the doubt on calls, thats fine.... lets see how useful the NFL golden boy is when he has scrambled eggs for brains.

OMG Bears are dirty.... :dontcare:

Normally I would not be an advocate of injuries in sports, but if we're NOT ALLOWED to beat them, we sure as hell should hurt them.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly, this is my first year of FF. Now I watch a lot of games and I will say, this penalty thing is overboard on all games. I have watched games where we are seeing a flag every down, 2-3 downs in a row. The league has got to get a handle on this by either 1... Training its players better or 2... Training the ref's better, I mean do we need to go to instant replay on some of these 15 yard hits? I suppose Mundy's hit penalty might have been overturned using instant replay. The notion is ridiculous, but so is a penalty that changes the course of a game, over and over and over again. Like someone mentioned above, change the Defensive holding to 5 yards maybe give the O the down over if it doesn't make it a first. But, to automatically make it a first now that they're going to call it over and over and over again is too harsh.

It will be interesting to see the statistics on flag's tossed and automatic first downs given based on the flag tossing from previous years to this year. I bet the number jumps way up.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Yup, just look at how the NFL media elite gathered after the Broncos lost last week and created out of thin air a sudden argument against the OT rules.

If that happens to a "regular" team or a regular QB, that never happens.

Nailed it. Why no talk about how their defense let them march down the field and score right away? No, let's change the rules because the Broncos' D couldn't even hold them to a field goal to give Manning another shot.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Normally I would not be an advocate of injuries in sports, but if we're NOT ALLOWED to beat them, we sure as hell should hurt them.

If you hurt Rodgers you beat the Pack.... we learned that last year.

But even if you soften it a bit and do not intend to injure him, just rattle him so he isn't Mr. Perfect on all his throws.... well they were putting up like 20-30 yards a play on alot of throws anyways so what's another 15 yards on a D that wasn't stopping anything anyways?

IMO you cannot beat Rodgers without hurting him or rattling him the way the Lions did where he was constantly pulling the ball down to scramble away from the hits. He is not a QB we can beat by playing coverage and hoping him or his WRs make the mistakes for us..... we have to force them to happen.

TheRivalry

Liked Posts:
Not allowed? You were "allowed" to beat SF and the Jets the last couple games. One is a storied franchise and the other is located in the largest market in the NFL. Maybe it's Rodgers that doesn't "allow" the Bears to beat the Pack. Again, the officiating was atrocious but the GB offense hung 38 points on a defense that's somehow worse than the Packers D, and more than any other factor, the Bears had 2 turnovers while GB had none.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Has it ever happened where an official gets fined or fired for incompetence? Has the league itself ever admitted that its officials have screwed up calls? Has anyone ever checked into the personal financial accounts of officials? For years I have harped about the officials in the NBA and that some of these officials were crooked. In fact one of these guys was proven to be crooked and this guy implicated several others. Now it appears to be happening in the NFL and probably college ball. also.

I think someone could have a good business if they started one in which they took game film, extract the penalties called or even those not called and rate the officials who made or ignored the calls. Then assign a rating per official or crew. In fact, if the NFL were on the up and up, they would do it themselves. Sort of what companies do in other businesses as a Quality Assurance department. When you think of all of the people invested in this league, it is surprising that they let a bunch lowly paid people control these games.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Between this problem and the lawbreaking issues and mishandling of them, has there been a worse sports commissioner in recent memory than Roger Goodell?

Pigs get fat...

Unlike his predecessors, Roger has made tens of millions.

Which would be no big deal if he were competent, only we all know he is NOT. The only people that don't seem to notice is NFL Executive Committee, who has the power to remove him with 20 of 32 votes...1 vote for each team.

But the problems lie deeper I fear, with the players themselves. The NFL was once filled with men who played for the love of the game.

Now it's all about the $$, so some guys play soft to avoid possibility of injuries.

The NFL is a mess, Goodell should have been canned long before the Rice incident.

LanceStone

Liked Posts:
SatisfiedHopefulHerald.gif

quicksand30

Liked Posts:
They don't. Certain players get the benefit of the doubt. But to suggest that the NFL would do it to the extent that it would determine the outcome of a game would jeopardize the integrity of their brand, and they ain't that dumb. Poor calls are largely the result of trying to make sure guys don't get concussed- the Munday hit is a perfect example. Total bullshit call that was so blatantly NOT a penalty but the league is willing to call it if it results in less violent contact over the middle. It's frustrating to watch, but the officiating didn't cost you the game and the NFL isn't favoring some teams over others. There's never been a higher degree of parity and that's the way the NFL likes it.

I would have agreed with you several years ago that they don't do it to the extent jeopardize the brand, but I question it now. Let me say that I did use a bit of hyperbole when referencing the 2010 Packers and I don't think, in general, there is any kind of fixed conspiracy with officiating. Yes, the concussion prevention is a big reason for many calls.

However, I still stand by the Golden Boy argument, where I think the benefit of the doubt is getting greater and greater for some players. It might be because Brady and Manning each lost a year. It might be because the potential to see someone break some kind of record or milestone is something the league thinks drives interest. It could be wholly unintentional where officiating crews are starstruck. I don't know. I think all fans want is to is see games officiated as fairly as possible for both sides, and that if Blake Bortles and the Jaguars are miraculously tied with the Broncos 20-20 in the 4th quarter, you don't see some BS call that benefits the Broncos.

To be fair, so that it doesn't seem like I'm harping on GB, Pats, and Broncos, I'll add that Marshall and Alshon have built enough credibility to get away with some offensive PI from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.