Liked Posts:
What is this witchcraft...

62045_11b771604597b416198210dae56e15ed.jpeg

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Not as bad as IE6. That was a nightmare, and the percentage of users stayed high for a long time.

at least back then I didn't have to worry about making everything responsive

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
at least back then I didn't have to worry about making everything responsive

Oh don't start down this road.... someone will go off on the "Back in my day.... machine language and punch cards and floppy disks oh my!"

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I keep firefox and chrome's hardware acceleration disabled. Same with flash. Microsoft released a patch for Windows vista/7/8 that fixes the AMD atisys file issue 3 weeks ago, check your additional/optional windows updates. They are releasing a fix for nvidia cards soon(yes, this happens with nvidia cards as well), and it was actually a Windows OpenCL issue, not AMD or nVidia.

No shit, I was under the impression it was a driver issue. I always keep my system up to date with drivers, software and OS updates so its likely already been installed if it was that long ago. I use Windows 7 Ultimate btw since I loathe 8 or 8.1 and I don't even bother with the 10 Alpha.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
No shit, I was under the impression it was a driver issue. I always keep my system up to date with drivers, software and OS updates so its likely already been installed if it was that long ago. I use Windows 7 Ultimate btw since I loathe 8 or 8.1 and I don't even bother with the 10 Alpha.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it's an optional update, opposed to a recommended update.

But anyways, Windows 8.1 is better than 7, as long as you do the metro delete and install classic shell. And this is coming from someone who hated windows 8 for a long time. Faster, more stable, more secure, and programs run faster on windows 8.1 with full tweaks. Windows 10 is good so far, and will be the new replacement for 7, once the community software scene carries over the awesome programs from XP/7 over to 10. And it looks like they are chomping at the bit to do so.

Bare in mind, I'm a 90% linux-based distro user, so my bias is with full customization. The more power the user has, the easier to break. But for me, I like having full power, and Microsoft doesn't hand out the keys to the cars they sell. Anyways, Windows 10 will give out more power to users. Internet Explorer will still blow and be the worst Browser in the mainstream, but oh well.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wouldn't classify myself as a "power user" as my rig is strictly a hardcore gaming machine and Windows 7 is by far the most stable and best operating system for gamers. Sure there are games that are an exception but there are far more issues with gaming on Windows 8/8.1 than there ever is/was for 7. I won't even touch 8/8.1 unless I am forced to and frankly no one will ever convince me to use it willingly. I will give 10 a chance when its an official release but for now I am satisfied with 7 Ultimate.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not as bad as IE6. That was a nightmare, and the percentage of users stayed high for a long time.

Lol. For real. I still have nightmares. Actual sign at a developer conference:

sorryaboutthat.jpg

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Take that, side hugging bitches

Safari6.062512.png

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The Internet Explorer 6 usage problem is what happens when your business planned all of their purchases around a local intranet, then decide they want to expand network usage outside of the facility, and aren't willing to upgrade the machines to do so. Leaving every desktop stuck with Windows 2000, then a a realization that they should blow money on cheap laptops(which still cost more, less reliable, and are less ergonomic).

Lucky, the dinosaurs running these businesses are slowly wisening up. Although you'll know which are still in the stoneage, when you see Terminals(instead of machines that can terminal emulate) and run Windows XP spread out through the offices. If your company is still creating Access databases, then your company is losing money and time, as well as poorly secured and outdated.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Firefox

about:config

1) Create new string

2) Name it: general.useragent.override.THESITEADDRESSHERE.com.net.org
and replace the last bit with the site, so it should look like this: general.useragent.override.google.com if you did it for google.

3) Add this for every site, as the Value.
general.useragent.override.privat24.ua;Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.6; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; InfoPath.2; SLCC1; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) 3gpp-gba UNTRUSTED/1.0

poof, wow, firefox is now compatible with sites that claim to ONLY be internet explorer compatible. The only time this has ever been an issue for me, is if the Firefox installation didn't have the office extensions enabled, and IIRC once you install office, they are there.

don't ask for chrome or opera, as both are super gimped for power users.

This might work for websites but some business applications are only compatible with IE, which is why we still use it at work.

At home I use Maxthon. Fast and smooth.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Take that, side hugging bitches

Safari6.062512.png

Safari, LOL.

Apple should quit building on top of outdated linux web-browsers and get out of the web browser game. Safari sucks, not as bad as IE, but still, it's garbage. The web browser designed for grandma.

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chrome > Safari > Firefox > Opera > IE

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
This might work for websites but some business applications are only compatible with IE, which is why we still use it at work.

At home I use Maxthon. Fast and smooth.

Maxton is good too, as it is triton based like IE, so it will be compatible with rendering the pages similarly. But Firefox has worked with every site that required IE for me, as long as the useragent is IE. So office/frontpage/access/excel etc all interact just the same(IMO much better) as long as the office extensions are enabled(which they should be by default in most cases).

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Safari, LOL.

Apple should quit building on top of outdated linux web-browsers and get out of the web browser game. Safari sucks, not as bad as IE, but still, it's garbage. The web browser designed for grandma.
Sparky, in the most recent browser benchmarks Safari was faster than Chrome. The brower clean and elegant is not riddled with those ugly and space taking flavicons that ruin Firefox Chrome. Safari allows for more brower bookmarks than any other browser.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Sparky, in the most recent browser benchmarks Safari was faster than Chrome. The brower clean and elegant is not riddled with those ugly and space taking flavicons that ruin Firefox Chrome. Safari allows for more brower bookmarks than any other browser.

Can I customize safari to my liking? Like full customization? Or is it always stuck in dummy mode?

Oh, and I can and have benched all of them on my machine many times over. Safari performance claims are a joke as well. Safari is not faster, nor is it faster for users on all sites. Bookmarks? I never looked into how many bookmarks a browser can keep, I have over 1000 on firefox, and haven't really looked into finding a new browser to add more, since I have been far from hitting any wall. Also, Safari is always behind HTML5 implementations, as it supports less than Chrome and Firefox. Not to forget that Firefox supports more legacy code, where safari will render sites incorrectly or without features. Legacy code is important, because HTML5 has not replaced everything, and legacy code is still used on most sites.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is such a steaming pile of horse shit it's unbelievable. How on earth a Company writes such a piece of shit software on it's own OS is BEYOND ME. This piece of shit will not only lock the entire browser but even process OUTSIDE of it. Every other Company writes a better browser FOR MICROSOFTS OWN OS. Fuck you Microsoft, just give it up entirely. This is how IE makes me feel

[video=youtube;TQXuazYI_YU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQXuazYI_YU[/video]

Than use Chrome, Firefox or Safari and stop bitching. Simple solution, buddy.