1. Chicago Blackhawks
*then

You'll thank me later

my-view-on-pretentious-movie-critics-o.gif

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I'm not sure why it's an optional update, opposed to a recommended update.

But anyways, Windows 8.1 is better than 7, as long as you do the metro delete and install classic shell. And this is coming from someone who hated windows 8 for a long time. Faster, more stable, more secure, and programs run faster on windows 8.1 with full tweaks. Windows 10 is good so far, and will be the new replacement for 7, once the community software scene carries over the awesome programs from XP/7 over to 10. And it looks like they are chomping at the bit to do so.

Bare in mind, I'm a 90% linux-based distro user, so my bias is with full customization. The more power the user has, the easier to break. But for me, I like having full power, and Microsoft doesn't hand out the keys to the cars they sell. Anyways, Windows 10 will give out more power to users. Internet Explorer will still blow and be the worst Browser in the mainstream, but oh well.

Classic shell for the win

I was about to lose my shit trying to get 7 on my laptop until I found classic shell.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't classify myself as a "power user" as my rig is strictly a hardcore gaming machine and Windows 7 is by far the most stable and best operating system for gamers. Sure there are games that are an exception but there are far more issues with gaming on Windows 8/8.1 than there ever is/was for 7. I won't even touch 8/8.1 unless I am forced to and frankly no one will ever convince me to use it willingly. I will give 10 a chance when its an official release but for now I am satisfied with 7 Ultimate.

You can hardly tell the difference between 8.1 and 7 UI if you have classic shell

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Classic Shell is beautiful. Especially for users who LOVE the original Start menu. I even modify all my other taskbars to work the same, even in all of the x11 desktop environments, I just prefer the simplicity and organization of it. I also love that with Mate, I can clone my classic shell settings, so all my programs are in the same places regardless of OS.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
3.4% of the "global browser market share" still uses IE8 which means I still have to code for it. I dont' spazz out like a bitch like Jester does about it, but it does make me sad.

[video=youtube;d5ab8BOu4LE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ab8BOu4LE[/video]

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
or try this fix:

do a hardrive search on you windows device for "system32"

locate the folder that comes up and delete it.

come back and post about how much smoother IE works for you afterwards.

I'm fucking dying over here. Bravo HHM.

Iwritecode

Liked Posts:
The Internet Explorer 6 usage problem is what happens when your business planned all of their purchases around a local intranet, then decide they want to expand network usage outside of the facility, and aren't willing to upgrade the machines to do so. Leaving every desktop stuck with Windows 2000, then a a realization that they should blow money on cheap laptops(which still cost more, less reliable, and are less ergonomic).

Lucky, the dinosaurs running these businesses are slowly wisening up. Although you'll know which are still in the stoneage, when you see Terminals(instead of machines that can terminal emulate) and run Windows XP spread out through the offices. If your company is still creating Access databases, then your company is losing money and time, as well as poorly secured and outdated.

I found a program at work that is older than I am. :(

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Can someone tell me how to use the dislike feature?

Reactions: WCL

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
You poor web developers, I'm so glad I rarely have to do any of it, and what web development I do have to do is mega simple shit like hooking a page into one of my DBs.

Fuck that shit, I'll stay in my own corner of the development and IT world.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
The Internet Explorer 6 usage problem is what happens when your business planned all of their purchases around a local intranet, then decide they want to expand network usage outside of the facility, and aren't willing to upgrade the machines to do so. Leaving every desktop stuck with Windows 2000, then a a realization that they should blow money on cheap laptops(which still cost more, less reliable, and are less ergonomic).

Lucky, the dinosaurs running these businesses are slowly wisening up. Although you'll know which are still in the stoneage, when you see Terminals(instead of machines that can terminal emulate) and run Windows XP spread out through the offices. If your company is still creating Access databases, then your company is losing money and time, as well as poorly secured and outdated.

I still feel like the various nix distros and Windows have their place.

I hate having to deal with Windows servers, but wouldn't use any distro on my personal computer.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You poor web developers, I'm so glad I rarely have to do any of it, and what web development I do have to do is mega simple shit like hooking a page into one of my DBs.

Fuck that shit, I'll stay in my own corner of the development and IT world.

Coding for safari mobile sucks. Safari mobile and desktop observe different rules to the point that i have to use javascript for conditional intrabrowser css

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You can hardly tell the difference between 8.1 and 7 UI if you have classic shell

Oh trust me I don't doubt you one bit. I know you can make windows 8 or 8.1 look like 7 but it won't act like 7 which is the more important issue for me as a gamer. People playing the exact same game as me on 8 or 8.1 have issues I don't on 7 so why invite those headaches? I have no incentive at all to change operating systems. Some people might say but some games run better on windows 8/8.1 than on 7 which is a moot point given my triple GPU setup. I don't care for the 5-10% performance increase in a few games by running them on 8/8.1 while having everything else I play work like shit on it.

malcore

Oh trust me I don't doubt you one bit. I know you can make windows 8 or 8.1 look like 7 but it won't act like 7 which is the more important issue for me as a gamer. People playing the exact same game as me on 8 or 8.1 have issues I don't on 7 so why invite those headaches? I have no incentive at all to change operating systems. Some people might say but some games run better on windows 8/8.1 than on 7 which is a moot point given my triple GPU setup. I don't care for the 5-10% performance increase in a few games by running them on 8/8.1 while having everything else I play work like shit on it.

Dual boot. I enjoy having a schizophrenic desktop.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
Coding for safari mobile sucks. Safari mobile and desktop observe different rules to the point that i have to use javascript for conditional intrabrowser css

Mega fuck CSS

One of our web guys has this mug:

css_is_awesome.jpg

Shit is legit.