If Melo chose to come to Bulls, would Bulls fans be grateful or parochial?

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
What I am asking is would Melo be treated as a outsider in deference to Rose? This would go a long way in answering why free agents shun the Bulls.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Derrick Rose certainly doesn't help the cause with his ridiculous stand-offish and indifferent nature towards talking with potential free agents. I understand his perspective in the sense that it's ultimately the job of the front office to get players to play in Chicago, but his shitty attitude of "That's not my job. I don't want to talk to other players about coming here," is just ridiculous.

Nobody's asking him to be some college booster, but making guys feel wanted and playing up the chance to play for Thibs and alongside him (Rose), Noah, Butler, etc., certainly wouldn't hurt. I feel like fans would certainly be receptive to Carmelo Anthony, or any other big-ticket guy for that matter, to play for the Bulls. Fans in Chicago love guys who give it 110% on a nightly basis, and Carmelo's game has certainly shifted towards being a bit more team-oriented this year with all the injuries the Knicks have suffered.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
What I am asking is would Melo be treated as a outsider in deference to Rose? This would go a long way in answering why free agents shun the Bulls.

Why would he be shunned? That's ridiculous.

The expectations for him will be the same here, so if he can't handle that he should go to a team loaded with stars like LeBron.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Why would he be shunned? That's ridiculous.

The expectations for him will be the same here, so if he can't handle that he should go to a team loaded with stars like LeBron.

Pretty sure LeBron is the reason the Heat have been to three straight NBA Finals.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure LeBron is the reason the Heat have been to three straight NBA Finals.

Ok, what's your point?

He still went to Miami because he couldn't handle the pressure of winning without a team laden with stars.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
Derrick Rose certainly doesn't help the cause with his ridiculous stand-offish and indifferent nature towards talking with potential free agents. I understand his perspective in the sense that it's ultimately the job of the front office to get players to play in Chicago, but his shitty attitude of "That's not my job. I don't want to talk to other players about coming here," is just ridiculous.

Nobody's asking him to be some college booster, but making guys feel wanted and playing up the chance to play for Thibs and alongside him (Rose), Noah, Butler, etc., certainly wouldn't hurt. I feel like fans would certainly be receptive to Carmelo Anthony, or any other big-ticket guy for that matter, to play for the Bulls. Fans in Chicago love guys who give it 110% on a nightly basis, and Carmelo's game has certainly shifted towards being a bit more team-oriented this year with all the injuries the Knicks have suffered.
Carmelo Anthony only wanted to be traded to the Knicks when he was still in Denver. Lebron, Bosh, & Wade had already pre-planned to play together. Amare was offered a ridiculous $100 million contract from the Knicks. Joe Johnson was offered the full max from Atlanta. Dwight Howard did not want to come to Chicago under any circumstances.

Can you please name the players that were available that Derrick Rose didn't recruit to the Bulls?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Melo thought he was going to play with Chris Paul, and that never came to fruition.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
62 points with 7 min left... He is welcome

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Ok, what's your point?

He still went to Miami because he couldn't handle the pressure of winning without a team laden with stars.

Oh, that's cool! Please go ahead and name a team that's ever won the NBA Title without multiple stars. Go ahead, we'll wait.

Nah, Ray Allen hit a three.

.... but that was a game that took place in the Finals... that LeBron led them to for a third consecutive season.

Carmelo Anthony only wanted to be traded to the Knicks when he was still in Denver. Lebron, Bosh, & Wade had already pre-planned to play together. Amare was offered a ridiculous $100 million contract from the Knicks. Joe Johnson was offered the full max from Atlanta. Dwight Howard did not want to come to Chicago under any circumstances.

Can you please name the players that were available that Derrick Rose didn't recruit to the Bulls?

Joe Johnson was minutes from signing a contract with the Bulls before the Hawks offered him a max deal. It made total sense for him to take the deal. There's not a person on the planet that would turn down that kind of money. Besides, at the time, that Hawks roster was equally as competitive as the Bulls were before Boozer, Korver, Brewer, etc., were added to the mix. My point with Rose is that he's never showed a willingness to help management and coaches coax players to come here. His attitude always comes off as stand-offish and his excuse that "I can play with anyone," might indicate that he's aware that Chicago isn't exactly the most attractive spot for free agents -- shitty weather, high taxes, questionable relationship between management and Thibs, etc.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Mavericks 2011.

Dirk Nowitzki (Hall of Famer)
Jason Kidd (Hall of Famer)
Tyson Chandler (former All-Star and Defensive Player of the Year)
Caron Butler (former All-Star)
Shawn Marion (former All-Star)
Jason Terry (best Sixth Man in the NBA for a five year stretch)

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh, that's cool! Please go ahead and name a team that's ever won the NBA Title without multiple stars. Go ahead, we'll wait.

Probably the 93-94 Rockets. After Hakeem, no one was really that special.

ChicagoGr

Liked Posts:
Dirk Nowitzki (Hall of Famer)
Jason Kidd (Hall of Famer)
Tyson Chandler (former All-Star and Defensive Player of the Year)
Caron Butler (former All-Star)
Shawn Marion (former All-Star)
Jason Terry (best Sixth Man in the NBA for a five year stretch)

If Butler and Terry are NBA stars, then you're right, every team that's won a title has had multiple stars.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Probably the 93-94 Rockets. After Hakeem, no one was really that special.

Otis Thorpe was a former All-Star who still put up 15/10 every night for that Rockets team.He was actually a really solid player for quite a few years. Vernon Maxwell was a decent player, but I will agree that after those three guys, it was tons of young, unproven guys (a young, spry Robert Horry, Sam Cassell) and the likes of Mario Ellie and Carl Hererra.

93-94 was arguably Hakeem's best season -- 27/12 every night with almost four blocks (!!!!!), one and a half steals, and three assists per game, all while shooting 53% from the floor. Honestly, that Knicks team they played was probably better on paper, but Hakeem was the best player on the floor. He crushed Ewing that entire series.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If Butler and Terry are NBA stars, then you're right, every team that's won a title has had multiple stars.

Whether they are or not is irrelevant -- that team had two future first-ballot Hall of Famers on it and multiple former All-Stars.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
yeah pistons/mavs won although you could point to situations like Kobe/Shaq beef or LeBron being a no show

more often then not it takes alteast 2 stars to win a championship

ChicagoGr

Liked Posts:
I don't know, I don't think that a 38 year old Kidd can be considered a star. They had a great core, for sure, but only one true star, Dirk.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Otis Thorpe was a former All-Star who still put up 15/10 every night for that Rockets team.He was actually a really solid player for quite a few years. Vernon Maxwell was a decent player, but I will agree that after those three guys, it was tons of young, unproven guys (a young, spry Robert Horry, Sam Cassell) and the likes of Mario Ellie and Carl Hererra.

93-94 was arguably Hakeem's best season -- 27/12 every night with almost four blocks (!!!!!), one and a half steals, and three assists per game, all while shooting 53% from the floor. Honestly, that Knicks team they played was probably better on paper, but Hakeem was the best player on the floor. He crushed Ewing that entire series.

Otis Thrope wasn't bad, but I don't think he could be classified as a star. In that finals series, outside of Hakeem, the rest of the Rockets weren't really that good. Otis Thorpe was pretty much a no show in games 6 and 7. That's the only team and Hakeem's the only player I can think of that really won it all with pretty much only 1 star.

I still think a team needs at least 2 REALT stars to win it all though. That Rockets team was just an outlier, I guess hahaha.

Hakeem really was awesome though.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
My point with Rose is that he's never showed a willingness to help management and coaches coax players to come here. His attitude always comes off as stand-offish and his excuse that "I can play with anyone," might indicate that he's aware that Chicago isn't exactly the most attractive spot for free agents -- shitty weather, high taxes, questionable relationship between management and Thibs, etc.
Again, I will ask you to please name the available players he didn't recruit?