If Melo chose to come to Bulls, would Bulls fans be grateful or parochial?

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
Derrick Rose certainly doesn't help the cause with his ridiculous stand-offish and indifferent nature towards talking with potential free agents. I understand his perspective in the sense that it's ultimately the job of the front office to get players to play in Chicago, but his shitty attitude of "That's not my job. I don't want to talk to other players about coming here," is just ridiculous.

Nobody's asking him to be some college booster, but making guys feel wanted and playing up the chance to play for Thibs and alongside him (Rose), Noah, Butler, etc., certainly wouldn't hurt.

Never felt like that was the reason he was taking that stance at all. I've always felt like he did it because it seems pretty pathetic and desperate to have to beg other players to come to your team.
Rose has always had a very good relationship with many of the other star players in the League. He's played with most of the best in international competitions and always the response from his teammates has been nothing but respect and friendship towards him. So I find it a bit of a stretch to suggest that he's "stand-offish" towards other star players.

I feel like fans would certainly be receptive to Carmelo Anthony, or any other big-ticket guy for that matter, to play for the Bulls. Fans in Chicago love guys who give it 110% on a nightly basis, and Carmelo's game has certainly shifted towards being a bit more team-oriented this year with all the injuries the Knicks have suffered.

I do agree with this however.
I've been resistant to the idea of Carmelo coming to the Bulls from the beginning. With the primary reason being that I felt Carmelo was all about the flash of scoring and himself without having much interest in being a team player.
But over the past year or so, I've seen that change a little. I've seen him play much more like a team player at times.
Maybe getting smacked around by the Heat and then the Pacers the past two years in the Playoffs made an impression ... and maybe when you're supposed to be a team that's able to compete and you start off the year 3-13, maybe something clicks, and you start to realize something's wrong.

I'm still not sure Carmelo is the answer to turning this team into a championship contender, but I'm a lot more willing to give it a try now than I was a few years ago, because now I think it's a possibility as opposed to then when I was pretty sure it wasn't.

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
Oh, that's cool! Please go ahead and name a team that's ever won the NBA Title without multiple stars. Go ahead, we'll wait.

Been writing up an article about this very idea.
And while I think there's more to it than just having multiple "stars", I agree that you can't normally get it done without having a couple.

In doing a little research, there are really only three teams ('94 Rockets, '04 Pistons, and '11 Mavericks) who have been outliers over the past 35 years ... and two of them had a clear #1 star ... with the Pistons being the only true exception to the "rule of 3".

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
Dirk Nowitzki (Hall of Famer)
Jason Kidd (Hall of Famer)
Tyson Chandler (former All-Star and Defensive Player of the Year)
Caron Butler (former All-Star)
Shawn Marion (former All-Star)
Jason Terry (best Sixth Man in the NBA for a five year stretch)

Hell, the Bulls had five guys with All Star credentials with Boozer and Rip. Jason Terry is cancelled out with Korver/Nate. They were no better than us on paper

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he leaves NY he is coming here. It seems he will leave to since there is no hope with that team going forward. He is the missing piece in my opinion. You will still have a top 10 D here and now finally some scoring to go along with that. You need to score the ball to win. We had the best defense with the bench mob and still got us nowhere. We need scoring and Melo is the perfect fit. Plus if Rose got hurt again you would have another franchise player so the season wouldn't ever be a lost one.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
Adding arguably a top 2 scorer in the game? He will be loved.

DCguy

Liked Posts:
He should be welcomed. He is a great scorer and the team can certainly use that.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
And besides, Aldridge should already be a Bull, but the FO fucked that up when they traded him for Tyrus Thomas. Whoops!

The Bulls wouldn't have gotten the #1 draft pick in 2008 and drafted Rose if they had kept Aldridge in 2006.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Rose is never going to be the same.

If Melo comes here, he will be top dog. Still need to add another piece and hope Rose is at least still very damn good, if never the explosive player he once was.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
The Bulls wouldn't have gotten the #1 draft pick in 2008 and drafted Rose if they had kept Aldridge in 2006.

At this point, long term it might be able to be argued the Bulls would have been better off had that happened.

It all depends on whether Rose can return to his original form, and whether we ever get another true superstar to not waste away his talent.