IF Trubs plays well this season, is it a blessing in disguise?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
We would hopefully be able to re-sign him to a relatively cheaper deal, leaving more to build and maintain the rest of the team around him. Even if he plays “good enough” it could benefit the team in the long run.

Yeah, I am NOT predicting this will happen. But IF it does...

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It's the best case scenario for this team.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
And now we have ourselves a Watson thread
Nothing to do with the other two QBs. Mitch is his own. But if he played well these past 3 years, he’d be getting that type of contract as well. And that would mean we’d have to say goodbye to other key players, like Robinson and maybe Mack.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
having a QB that plays well is not a blessing in disguise.. its just a blessing

I was coming here to say this, literally word for word.

But the more I think about it.....I wonder how much the Bears can afford Mitch to play really well. I'm assuming a franchise tag if he plays well, to see if he can do it again. Tag is 26Mil this year, but it could go down for 2021. But if the Bears want to also have Robinson back for Trubisky, that would mean a LOT of work maneuvering the cap. Probably no other FAs would be brought back unless they are vet minimums. Probably have to lose Graham, Massie, and get really creative with restructures for Mack, Fuller, Hicks, and possibly Leno, Quinn and Jackson. Have to find someone to take on Foles' contract as he's not going to sit at #2 again all year.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We’re assuming a cap reduction to 180M but with the way teams continue to dole out mega contracts, I’m still skeptical about that.

If the cap stays level, we’d have room for Robinson and a QB tag with some maneuvering.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I was coming here to say this, literally word for word.

But the more I think about it.....I wonder how much the Bears can afford Mitch to play really well. I'm assuming a franchise tag if he plays well, to see if he can do it again. Tag is 26Mil this year, but it could go down for 2021. But if the Bears want to also have Robinson back for Trubisky, that would mean a LOT of work maneuvering the cap. Probably no other FAs would be brought back unless they are vet minimums. Probably have to lose Graham, Massie, and get really creative with restructures for Mack, Fuller, Hicks, and possibly Leno, Quinn and Jackson. Have to find someone to take on Foles' contract as he's not going to sit at #2 again all year.

I'm not worried about getting rid of foles, his contract isnt that crazy, and there is way to many teams looking for a QB.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm not worried about getting rid of foles, his contract isnt that crazy, and there is way to many teams looking for a QB.

*too

way *too many

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
We’re assuming a cap reduction to 180M but with the way teams continue to dole out mega contracts, I’m still skeptical about that.

If the cap stays level, we’d have room for Robinson and a QB tag with some maneuvering.

Assumption right now is a reduction to 175M. And i think it's a pretty safe assumption considering you have teams losing anywhere from 70-100% fan attendance revenue, ratings down due to Trump supporters boycotting, and billionaire owners not likely to volunteer giving up more of a smaller pool of money to the players.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
He could barely beat out foles in camp lol. Not wasting my time with ifs with this guy

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No disguise at all. It is a blessing. And a miracle.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
We would hopefully be able to re-sign him to a relatively cheaper deal, leaving more to build and maintain the rest of the team around him. Even if he plays “good enough” it could benefit the team in the long run.

Define "well" and factor in the Bears QB high bar is real low to begin with....

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would settle for a mid tear QB at this point for Mitch. Still think the Bears should draft a QB or 2 next draft.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Obviously.

You then give him a 2-3 year deal and let him start for the rest of this defenses run.

Pretty much everyone is hoping this happens.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

If he plays well i'm probably franchising him for next season cause i wanna see him play well for 2 seasons, not one, and then i'm talking long term deal if he can do it 2 years in a row.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I agree and have no issue keeping Foles at about $7 mil per for the next 3 years. I'm actually happy to have him as our backup for the next 3 years even at around $7 mil.